Thread: Cymbal problems.

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal problems.

This is the second time its happened. Its only been about a year and my 16" has cracked almost the whole way through. Now i dont know if its because how i play or just cheap cymbals (which they are) My friend who was sponcered told me that it does just happen but i should get better cymbals for them to last longer and he recommended paiste 2002's... Does anyone else have any ideas about preventing the break downs and possible technique problems?

Also i always thought thicker cymbals would last longer. But now i think because there more rigid it snaps easier so maybe i want thinner cymbals?

Thanks for the help guys
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal problems.

thinner cymbals last longer. make sure you dont over tighten it

User Info Menu

if its the second time that this happened it might be the way your hitting the cymbals

User Info Menu

what brand of cmbals are u using right now?
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    paiste 2002's... )
    those are great, you should also try A customs

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cymbal problems.

I Seriously Suggest Technique As Da Culprit In Dis Situation,,,,I Use All Kinds,types,and Brands Of Cymbals And Have Not Broken A Cymbal In Over 20 Years
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i think its the way you play

User Info Menu

I would say technique, and perhaps base ball bat sticks. Really there is no reason to completely break a cymbal ever! just don't lay in to them with full force hit and follow all the way through the cymbal.

User Info Menu

I also say it most likely is your technique. Do you come straight down when you hit the cymbal or do you angle the direction of the strike. Also, when you srike the cymbal are you holding the stick like a hammer or do you hold it loose? Try to angle the strike and hold the stick loose. I've been playing for 40 years, and on all types of cymbals and have yet to crack one. All my crashes are thin to paper thin.

User Info Menu

what sticks do you use?

User Info Menu

I use 7b's i think they are... I hit with a swish and a loose grip. Sometimes i think maybe i get hammerish on it but not too often. I practically have the butterfly nuts off and they are zildjian planet z's. The last ones were second hand and half broken anyway but these ones would be a year to 18 months old so im confused :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

did they crack from the edge of the cymbal or start at the centre hole? are they mounted on the steel hardware or do you have plastic mounts? foam cushions both top and bottom?

User Info Menu

I was reading one of my old Modren Drummer magazines and there is a gentleman in New Jersey that repairs cracked cymbals. I can't remember his name but if you google it he should come up. Your stick selection and technique shouldn't be the problem. Did you closely inspection the cymbals before you bought them? The reason I ask is because I was going to purchase a used Zildijan K crash cymbal from my local GC but when I flexed the cymbal I noticed a hairline crack near the bell of the cymbal almost half way around the bell. I told the drum tech about but they still sold it as is but not to me but to someone who probaly didn't know what they were buying which is a shame. I replace the nylon cymbal protectors atleast once every 3 months to protect my cymbals and use felt washers on the top and bottom. I used thicker ones on the bottom

User Info Menu

Your sticks aren't to big then, really I was just more giving you a hard time than anything else. It could be you just got a defective cymbal and hopefully you can get them to warranty it for you. I have never broken a cymbal so it is really hard for me to understand how it happens really!

User Info Menu

im gonnna jump in this thread if its ok...i have a broken cymbal too...i just noticed my beautiful little 8 inch Avedis splash has 2 small cracks starting on the bell...any suggestions on how to fix this or to stop it from moving down the bell more...

yes i use felts top and bottom, along with cymbal sleeves, and mount it loose, and im not rough on it!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Hey Stevo I just watched the video you posted some time ago to look at your cymbal postion and techinque, and I notice your cymbal stand is moving a lot when you hit the crash!! is the cymbal that breaks mounted on this stand? I would definately look into purchasing a different stand with a good solid boom arm before I mounted another cymbal.also you seem to use quite a bit of the shoulder of the stick in your crash hits. I would reposition the cymbal height and angle to make sure more tip and less shoulder is hitting the cymbals. I think the cymbal stand itself may be causing you a lot of grief though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    im gonnna jump in this thread if its ok...i have a broken cymbal too...i just noticed my beautiful little 8 inch Avedis splash has 2 small cracks starting on the bell...any suggestions on how to fix this or to stop it from moving down the bell more...

yes i use felts top and bottom, along with cymbal sleeves, and mount it loose, and im not rough on it!

I've gone through a few splash cymbals in 25 yrs of drumming, but not full-sized cymbals. I think a limited life on splash cymbals is just par for the course on such small, thin cymbals absorbing so much energy, no matter how loosely you mount them. They do start cracking at the bell first each time. Fortunately, they are not prohibitively expensive to replace.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    I Seriously Suggest Technique As Da Culprit In Dis Situation,,,,I Use All Kinds,types,and Brands Of Cymbals And Have Not Broken A Cymbal In Over 20 Years
    I agree with PH , I havent broken a cymbal either and its been about 30 years.

You dont have to wail the living snot out of them to get them to ring or crash. Doesnt really matter that they are not a high end cymbal either . Good luck with it Stevo .

User Info Menu

Nope. Never broke a cymbal in 42 years of playing.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.