Thread: cramped thumbs?

User Info Menu

Default cramped thumbs?

I've been in percussion for only six years but I do know this can't be right. I practice for marching band at least two hours a day, sometimes up to four, not counting band rehearsal. At the end of last year's season I ran into an issue that prevented me from practicing very long. My hands (thumbs mostly) cramp up so they won't move and when they eventually do it hurts for about an hour. It creates difficulty in our practices that last hours. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this. Could it be related to writing? (I'm a journalist.) Any ideas would be great. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: cramped thumbs?

I had the same problem. I loosen my grip and focused on using the natural rebound of the stick. Also, remember to stretch before and after. Do you play match or traditional?

User Info Menu

I play matched. I tried loosening my grip last season and my director said it looked sloppy (he's extrememly particular on uniformity). I had to keep it tight, and for a better grip on the sticks. I have small hands and marching sticks are rather large for my hands.

User Info Menu

I have the same problem. I have to really stretch my thumbs for a few minutes before I play.

You should see a doctor to make sure you're not going to do any permanent damage. (and so should I)

User Info Menu

Actually, I started experiencing the thumb pain just recently in the RH. Been playing for 48 years and never had the problem. I isolated it to realizing that I was pressing the thumb to tight against the stick and was putting to much pressure on the knuckle. soon as I release some of the tightness, my hand relaxes and the soreness leaves.

User Info Menu

I would recommend loosening as well, but it sounds sloppy.
    It might not be the best advice, but you reckon you could bear it out?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

When I was in Drum Corps ( Anaheim Kingsmen and Velvet Knights ) our instructors were really into sticking. We played traditional grip. We had to use 3S marching stick so I would use the lightest sticks I could find. I finally found some suger maplle sticks made in Canada. I can't remember the brand but they really help overcome the pain I felt in my hand after numerous hours of practice. I also worked out with one of those grip builders, which helped build up my strength and endurance.

User Info Menu

The only time I experience this to a mild degree is when my hhat is too low, resulting in excessive angle of flexion of my right wrist. Got rid of it by raising my hhat.

User Info Menu

Anaheim Kingsmen and Velvet Knights

************************************************** ********************* 2 cool VK

User Info Menu

have you tried applying mr.zogs sexwax to your sticks,i'ts really for surfboards, but it might help you grip a little better while not having to grab the sticks so hard, i use the same stuff of my framing hammer when i build houses, it has helped me out quite a bit, just dont let the instructor see you do it i hope this info helps you out a little.