Thread: Ginger Baker DVD

User Info Menu

Default Ginger Baker DVD

I own it now. I really like that he played to MOR. But what I thought was different, was when he was discussing rudiments, he referred to the 2 stroke rolls as a MUMMY,DADDY. I guess that is just British slang. He seemed to like saying it. Some things on the video that made me crack up was him smoking at the kit and one time had something in his mouth he spit out. I really enjoy the DVD. Ginger has always been one of my favorite drummers. Has anyone seen it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ginger Baker DVD

The 2-stroke roll is traditionally taught as the Mamma-Dada roll...2 strokes per hand, gradually increasing speed until into the the Open Roll and then into a closed roll. When playing Rudimental solo in State Contest while in high school, the judge would ask for a demonstration of several rudiments. The Open roll (Mama-dada) was a staple and the contestant had exactly 1 minute to get into the roll, 1 minute to maintain the roll and 1 minute to get back out of the roll. You can just imagine how slow you would have to start the roll to meet this requirement.

User Info Menu

I had it on VHS, bought it when it first came out. It does focus mostly on rudiments but I like how he shows you how to apply them to the drum kit. Good video. I didn't know they put it out again on DVD. I'll have to get it.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

It is on DVD!!! Go shopping my Steal Your Face friend of the Devil!