Thread: best cymbal pack

User Info Menu

Default best cymbal pack

i am looking for the best sounding highest quality cymbal pack for under $400.00. I only have b8 hi hats and a cracked ride as of now, im looking for a good set of cymbals to play now while i save and purchase the cymbals i would really like.
    i dont need the most perfect sounding cymbals, i am not recording a record i just need to get some decent sounding cymbals for a good price.

i play pop/punk/metal and would like something bright and with enough volume to cut through.
    Last edited by morrison_205; 07-21-2008 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: best cymbal pack

Hey morrison!

I might suggest a Zildjian ZBT pack. I`m not exactly sure the price, but these cymbals should be in that range. Decent for jamming away...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

go to ur store check out what packs are in your range and test sound them :D.

find the pack u like, check ebay and other music online stores and buy at the cheapest price.
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

i saw a set of sabian for like $330.
    hh,cr,rd, free splash and crash. i think thats what it was consisting of

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

You can get a Sabian XS20 pack for $410 (14 Hats, 20 Ride, 16 Crash), they are good sounding cymbals and the lowest priced that contain B20 bronze (used in higher quality cymbals). But since you already have Hats, you can get packs that contain a ride/crash combo and maybe another free crash or splash for around $400. The good thing about that is that you will already have pro level cymbals and only need to replace the hats.

Or if you really want to get something more like practice cymbals the Wuhan packs are really good and are probably the cheapest that you can find, they are also hand hammered and also made of B20 bronze. But try these before you buy because many people don't like the sound of these (I do though).

IL DUCE Guest

Gotta agree with toa$t, I too like the sound Wuhan Has Especially their S series. ( I posted a review of my new one a week or so ago). These are not entry level cymbals. B20 hand hammered. 16 & 18 inch crash and a 14" china for $189.00 I mean you ain't beatin that, and these are not even in the same league as any entry level cymbal line. They are of semi pro quality easy. But Like toa$t said ya gotta like the wuhan sound. Which I've already stated I do. Maybe you will too.

User Info Menu

meinl mcs are best for the price

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    meinl mcs are best for the price
    Why?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i bought them new for 300 and they sounded as good as the xs20 or the zht's

User Info Menu

I went to Ray Fransen's drum Shop (Kenner, LA.) today and checked out some cymbals. I found what I think is a very good buy "Meinl MCS Cymbal Pack" 20" ride, 16" crash, 14" HH and a free 14" china. These cymbals sounded pretty darn good compared to the B8's, PST 3's; I would say they were equal to the PST 5's, my Wife says they sound better. Anyway they were $235, so I said I'll take them.

User Info Menu

I've seen a lot of posts regarding cymbal packs. I hope that these do work out for those who purchase them. Is it safe to assume that these packs are geared toward Rock drumming? I don't think I've ever seen any kind of package for jazz drumming. Are the packs worthwhile? I ask because I have spent 20 years in retailing and marketing. In that realm, packaging meant at least one decent product along with items that were hard to sell individually. I can appreciate that pricing is important but is it not true that we get what we pay for? In the last 10 years, I bought 2 ride cymbals and one set of hi - hats. The combined sale price would buy the Gretsch Catalina outfit. I am pleased with these cymbals as they give me exactly what I was looking for. These are a 20" K Constantinople ride ($335.); A 21" Istanbul AGOP Mel Lewis sig Big Band ride ($245.); and 14" Istambul AGOP Mel Lewis sig rides ($225.). Could I have found anything like these in a cymbal pack?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I've seen a lot of posts regarding cymbal packs. I hope that these do work out for those who purchase them. Is it safe to assume that these packs are geared toward Rock drumming? I don't think I've ever seen any kind of package for jazz drumming. Are the packs worthwhile? I ask because I have spent 20 years in retailing and marketing. In that realm, packaging meant at least one decent product along with items that were hard to sell individually. I can appreciate that pricing is important but is it not true that we get what we pay for? In the last 10 years, I bought 2 ride cymbals and one set of hi - hats. The combined sale price would buy the Gretsch Catalina outfit. I am pleased with these cymbals as they give me exactly what I was looking for. These are a 20" K Constantinople ride ($335.); A 21" Istanbul AGOP Mel Lewis sig Big Band ride ($245.); and 14" Istambul AGOP Mel Lewis sig rides ($225.). Could I have found anything like these in a cymbal pack?

No, generally the packs are a cymbal companys way of giving a discount. Its usually always a pack of 14 inch high hats, a 16 inch crash, and a 20 inch ride, of the same series, Like A customs. Usually the standard medium hats, med. thin crash, and regular ride. Some packs will come with a "free" 18 inch crash, or splash on top of the package, and its just a way to sweeten the deal. Though I have seen some packages from sabian that have included something like the 14 AA hats, 17-19 AAXplosion hats, and a 21 raw bell ride, or some combinations like that.

User Info Menu

I found this http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/839404022.html either this guy is stupid, or he really doesnt like money.

there are alot deals like this if you search used, and IMO used cymbals sound just as good as new and if you find it necessary they do make cymbal cleaner/ polish.

so search used so you can buy nice ones instead of buying newer less nice ones
    Last edited by Zeta; 09-13-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

#13 Yesterday, 10:43 PM
    Zeta
    Member (Established Chatter) Join Date: Aug 2008

Re: best cymbal pack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/839404022.html either this guy is stupid, or he really doesnt like money.

************************************************** ***************************************

Not a single one there that I would own, I'm afraid. When it comes to cymbals, the beauty is in the hearing...and that will always remain a personal choice.