Thread: Best metal ratio?

User Info Menu

Default Best metal ratio?

Is there one? Or is it just a sound thing. Do the different metals have different strengths against denting, marking, or rusting? Just curious I am not having problems with my cymbals.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best metal ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Is there one? Or is it just a sound thing. Do the different metals have different strengths against denting, marking, or rusting? Just curious I am not having problems with my cymbals.
    in difenet configurations of bronze its a sound thing only, with things like steel alloys ect it exists but not in cymbals.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

im pretty sure all cymbals are going to mark, denting might be harder, unless you bash them. dont know about strengths, but some are thicker than others. im pretty sure they have some thing that will make them stop rust, if you take care of them. but mostly the heavier the cymbal, the harder to dent (for me) everybody is different, but im pretty sure if a cymbal, like a ride, is really thick, it might have more possibilty to crack.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

well like zildjan and sabian have b20 and b8 bronze (the number refers to the percentage of tin in the cymbal while the rest (80 or 92) is copper) with trace amounts of silver in b20. i think only paiste 2002s have the silver. and wuhans are like b16 or something like that. each cymbal is different. so i guess silver and tin have alot to do with it.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

of course there are differences in metal! black metal is the darkest metal you'll find, Death metal is the heavyist metal there is. When scientists tried to measure how metal the dethalbum by dethklok is, their instruments exploded in their hands and ripped their souls into hell.

User Info Menu

best metal ratio? you gotta be joking!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    best metal ratio? you gotta be joking!
    Another brilliant post! Keep 'em coming, I really value your contribution to this forum!

/sarcasm

User Info Menu

thanks lowend! :D no, i really do mean it. because there is always something like "best" when it comes to drumming. if you want the answer so bad, all you had to do is ask.
    there is no best. but there is a more expensive and less expensive option. as you should now b8 bronze is made out of 92% copper 8%tin and the same concept with b20 bronze - they usually have some silver and phosphorus(i think) in them as well. tin is really expensive that's why they use b8 bronze on budget cymbals, but they are as good in quality as b20. the sound characteristics are different though. b8 is louder and sharper - hence sabian apx, where as b20 is mellower and darker. b20 is also more malleable than b8, making it easier to work on and therefor the preferred choice for cymbal companies - so i suppose if you wanna be really critical i suppose you could say that b8 is stronger...
    that answer your question?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lowendgenerator View Post
    Another brilliant post! Keep 'em coming, I really value your contribution to this forum!

/sarcasm
    2:1 on the Kniffle Scale.

User Info Menu

Allow me to clarify my original question. What is the difference in the sounds and tones of the metal ratios? Like a dry cymbal or a dark or light cymbal you know what I mean?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Allow me to clarify my original question. What is the difference in the sounds and tones of the metal ratios? Like a dry cymbal or a dark or light cymbal you know what I mean?
    if i were to draw a scale it would be
    (highest they go)b20-------------------------------b8(lowest they go)
    dark k, k costoms bright, 2002s
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Isn't there a company making B22 cymbals now? I remember reading it in Rhythm magazine a few months ago.

User Info Menu