Thread: new drummer

User Info Menu

Talking new drummer

Frist I would like to say I just started a few weeks ago after many nights of playing rock band with my friends. I thought if Iam going to spend this much time on this game/toy kit why not learn to play the real thing. so after asking around I went to the music store that people liked a nice mom and pop kind of place, and took the leap and got a yamaha kit. I play 2-3 hrs a day and I dont want to stop but lack of free time keeps me from playing more . my friends think Iam crazy but I have to play my kit everyday. I found that at work or in the car if there is music I have to bang on the desk or steering weel. I found this site and it's good to know that Iam not the only crazy person out there. but what I want to know is sould I get lessons because I have had no trouble with the things I have got online, but I dont want to get good at doing things the wrong way.

User Info Menu

Default Re: new drummer

welcome mate

Lessons would be a great help to guide you with the basics of drumming though there is no substitute for hours spent behind the kit developing your own style. Something I found useful when I was learning was to play along to some of your favorite music. Dont stick to one style though, try and play along to different genres which will improve you playing no end!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Stump Knocker!

Sounds like you are doing well. I chose to take lessons just so that my busy schedule didn't persuade me to "mess around" on the kit, rather than spending time in productive practice. The lessons made me accountable for the quality of the time I spent on the kit, and prevented me from having to unlearn poor technique. I think the lessons were one of the best decisions that I made as I began playing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I will have to 2nd that. Taking lessons was the best thing I decided to do. Some structure to your learning will help greatly. The other thing I have to recommend is getting a practice pad and metronome. Spending 3-4 hrs behind your kit is good but as boring as it sounds some of that time has to be spent practicing your rudiments on a pad with a metronome. As I'm sure you may have heard or will hear eventually, a drummers #1 job is keeping consistent time.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum stump knocker.

well congrats on the kit, but i think rock band and a real set are worlds apart. as for practicing, try putting your mp3 on shuffle, and try to play along with what you can. for lessons, i dont know, i've never tooken them, but i have never heard anybody say that they didnt learn anything from them.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

A few years of lessons with a good teacher is priceless. You will learn about what you are doing, why you do it and, you will develop good practice/playing habits. Like you said, you don't want to do good things the wrong way. After 6 years of study with a teacher and 48 years of playing, I am still enjoying it all. I have never heard any drummer say they regretted taking lessons but, I have heard many say they regretted NOT taking lessons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stump knocker View Post
    I found that at work or in the car if there is music I have to bang on the desk or steering weel.
    Ahah! The repetitive tapping syndrome, otherwise known as the drummer's curse, an infectious condition contracted when playing rock band videogame, watching rock concerts, or listening to music. There is no apparent gender preference. Early signs and symptoms include heightened alertness to rythmic sounds, uncoordinated tapping of hands or feet, and increased appreciation or sympathy for people with similar affliction in advanced stages.
    Disease progression is observed in preoccupation with tapping which could be relieved by a device known as drumset (please see contraindications before use). A full blown case is manifested by desire to learn about the illness through printed and electronic media, improved coordination of 4 extremities, rhythmic head bobbing and truncal movements, ability to produce pleasing rythms, willingness to participate in group therapy such as drum forums, withdrawal symptoms when deprived of drumset access, and transient depression if performance is below expectation. In terminal stages, the patient is fully coordinated, creates own rhythm, finds harmony with other type of sounds emanating from human voice box, strings, and other types of percussion. Serious as it sounds the condition is perfectly compatible with life and provides joy to oneself and those who are around it. A rare morbid complication termed rock drumming rarely occurs which is associated with degenerative changes such as aversion to regular hair cut, general hygiene neglect, attraction to symbols and figure printed in shirts or tattoed on skin, slurred speech, and ability to attract hot babes.

Welcome and enjoy SK! Please proceed to the quarantine area, fill out the forms, and show your INSURANCE CARD.

User Info Menu

Welcome SK,
    I paly all types of music when I practice and record myself. A drum teacher I had a long time ago turned me on to recording yourself when you practice. It helps catch those mistakes in timing and using the proper beat. I do it when I'm playing the set or just practicing rudiments on a pad.

User Info Menu

I tried rock band and it drove me nuts!!! I actually failed a song I have been playing to for years!!

User Info Menu

After playing for a little wile I agree rock band and a real set are worlds apart. there is way more to playing the real kit, but it is so much sweeter. I have found that playing some of the beats in the music I have is not to hard after I get it down , but to stay in time that is a little tought at times ,and to stay in time and play the fills to, hats off to all of you that play and can do so. It's a shame that alot of people think it's just a guy hitting stuff. I must say I used to be one of them a guitar player at one time but now I have see the light respect to all of you guys.
    workout and make noise play the drums.

User Info Menu

If you have the option to take lessons i really would, its alot more structured and efficient than learning alone. I myself don't take lessons and I've learnt alot, but there are always times i've been stuck for what to do next. But you should still learn all you can outisde the lessons aswell, they won't teach you EVERYTHING you need.
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    Ahah! The repetitive tapping syndrome, otherwise known as the drummer's curse, an infectious condition contracted when playing rock band videogame, watching rock concerts, or listening to music. There is no apparent gender preference. Early signs and symptoms include heightened alertness to rythmic sounds, uncoordinated tapping of hands or feet, and increased appreciation or sympathy for people with similar affliction in advanced stages.
    Disease progression is observed in preoccupation with tapping which could be relieved by a device known as drumset (please see contraindications before use). A full blown case is manifested by desire to learn about the illness through printed and electronic media, improved coordination of 4 extremities, rhythmic head bobbing and truncal movements, ability to produce pleasing rythms, willingness to participate in group therapy such as drum forums, withdrawal symptoms when deprived of drumset access, and transient depression if performance is below expectation. In terminal stages, the patient is fully coordinated, creates own rhythm, finds harmony with other type of sounds emanating from human voice box, strings, and other types of percussion. Serious as it sounds the condition is perfectly compatible with life and provides joy to oneself and those who are around it. A rare morbid complication termed rock drumming rarely occurs which is associated with degenerative changes such as aversion to regular hair cut, general hygiene neglect, attraction to symbols and figure printed in shirts or tattoed on skin, slurred speech, and ability to attract hot babes.

Welcome and enjoy SK! Please proceed to the quarantine area, fill out the forms, and show your INSURANCE CARD.
    I suffer from that one... thats going in my sig...
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

Dammit, too long :(

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum stumpy. I am gonna put in here another recomendation for taking lessons. I took lessons for a year and a half and then went through a time where i barely had time to practice let alone make it to lessons. Then my teachers cancer acted up so he cant help me anymore. I learned more at those lessons than I even imagined to ever learn. Lessons are definitely a should if not a must. At least get someone who knows what they are doing to make sure you are using good technique as bad technique is dangerous and hard to unlearn. Above all have fun no matter what. You will get very frustrated sometimes, but just slow it down and work it out. Welcome to the world of Drummers!!!!
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum stump , and yes , definately start out taking lessons . Good luck .

User Info Menu

Lessons are a great idea,Its the quickest and best way to learn,also you wont pick up bad habbits that you will have to unlearn.
    Mapex m birch,black forest cherry,sabian,zildjian cymbals,big dog,pearl pedals,yamaha electric kit.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: new drummer

Please Take The Opportunity To Learn From All Sources....but Being Taught Correctly The Basics In The Very Beginning Is Absolutely The Best Thing For Ya ....so Ya Dont Spend Da Rest Of Yer Life Correcting Bad Habits....learn Yer Rudiments....the Journey To Learn Our Craft Is An Endless One...need Help ? We're Always Here For Ya
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stump knocker View Post
    Frist I would like to say I just started a few weeks ago after many nights of playing rock band with my friends. I thought if Iam going to spend this much time on this game/toy kit why not learn to play the real thing. so after asking around I went to the music store that people liked a nice mom and pop kind of place, and took the leap and got a yamaha kit. I play 2-3 hrs a day and I dont want to stop but lack of free time keeps me from playing more . my friends think Iam crazy but I have to play my kit everyday. I found that at work or in the car if there is music I have to bang on the desk or steering weel. I found this site and it's good to know that Iam not the only crazy person out there. but what I want to know is sould I get lessons because I have had no trouble with the things I have got online, but I dont want to get good at doing things the wrong way.
    Lessons are great. Band mates are better. Get in with some guitarist's bassist's on your own level. Learn together. Nothing like having a day with buds playing whatever music you want to play. Time signatures will come, progressive cohesiveness will come, articulation will come.

It's all about FUN and no starch-collared teacher can imbue you with that. Get out and play your drums...play them by yourself, play them with disk's, play them in your head at night, play them with sticks on your pillows, floors, wherever.

I started with a pair of sticks and a dream. I still play all over and I still dream!

It doesn't take years of lessons. Just start out. You either have it you don't. As a drum teacher I can IMMEDIATELY TELL after 5 lessons if a student has it. If he/she doesn't I just honestly tell 'em so. I refuse to take students and/or students parents money just to have a full roster of pupils, and it gives me time to just work with a select few that really have the love and the potential to play drums.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-29-2008 at 12:42 PM.