Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cymbal Placement

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Placement

Hey just wondered how you peepz like to place your cymbals around the kit... do you prefer to hav them in size order, ie crashes from small to big left to right etc, or to have different varieties of sound in different places, or neither? this probably only applies to people with quite a few cymbals but poor plebs like me can dream about such things on lonely nights...

User Info Menu

I place the cymbals I use the most closest to me. From left to right: hi-hats, 12" splash, 16"crash, 14" crash, 14" china" 18" crash, and 20" ride. The 2 14" cymbals are straight out in front of me and the 16" and 18" crashes are "in the corners" while the splash, hats, and ride are to my sides.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

When I do get more cymbals(right now I only have crash and hats) I won't put them smallest to largest. I will have my cymbals going like this, from left to right: 14"Hi hats, 16" crash(this is for the left side of the set), 16" crash, 18" china, and a 20" ride.

User Info Menu

in order left to right
    15' hi hat pair
    18'' crash
    10'' splash
    20'' ride
    14'' china
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

some big hi hats there...

User Info Menu

I put my crashes in size order. I don't have room left, so I don't know where I'll put them when I get more...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I like to have mine placed on either side leaving the middle open.

Left side:
    16" crash
    17" crash
    18" crash
    14" HH

Right side:
    19" crash
    20" ride ( below 19" and 18" crashes )
    18" crash
    18" chinaboy
    15" HH next to ride

Keith

User Info Menu

I like the look of a ring or halo of cymbals all around my kit. (Think, Nicko McBrain). No open areas. The clearance between the motion of my cymbals a)with eachother and b)with my toms, is NO MORE then the width of my finger.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Placement

Sorry for the late response! :D

I have a pretty standard setup, ride to the right with a splash on an extender, and my secondary crash to the right side next to my ride, and my hi hats right next to my snare and double pedal, and the crash behind the hh stand.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I have my 14" hats to my left then 16" crash. On top of the top felt of the 16" I have a 14" hat (using as a crash) inverted. Next to that is the 18" china. Then my 22" ride and have several felts stacked on top of it and another 14" hat (using as a crash) inverted. Yeah...totally unusualy but I hate paying money for stackers/arms/stands so I got creative. It serves it's purpose
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

i put them where i can hit em, ZBTs so i pretty much dont like hittin em at all.

User Info Menu

1. Paiste RUDE 14" Hi Hats
    2. Saluda Tesla Rogue 16" crash
    3. Saluda Decadence 19" crash
    4. Saluda Nemesis china blast (w/ Hammerax Crash Coarse stacked above)
    5.Decadence 21" crash
    6. Paiste RUDE 24" Mega Bell Ride
    7. Wuhan 20" china.

I try and keep things symmetrical on both sides so that depending on what hand im using I dont have too reach far for a certain cymbal. My main crashes are right in front of each hand, as I for some reason do double crashes alot. I have the Tesla crash as a crash or splash (if im using the hi hat) and I use the Hammerax crash course as a hi hat as well. The china and the Tesla are also my white noise cymbals for left and right. The only thing I really dont have symmetrical is my ride, which is so big it cover both sides of the kit anyway! Ive been thinking about maybe getting a bell though......

User Info Menu

Generally from left to right I arrange them from smallest to largest. Oddly enough, I can't remember a single occasion that I saw cymbals arranged in an 'offset' type pattern. It's a little less common to see than with drums, I guess.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

L-R
    14" Sabian Pro HH
    16" Zildjian ZBT Crash
    (space)
    20" Sabian Pro Ride
    20" Sabian B8 Pro Ride with 10" Zildjian Splash on stacker
    I use a single tom so rides are "table top" low and flat.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

1) 14” AAX vented Fast Hats
    2) 17” AAX-treme Chinese
    3) 16” AAX Studio Crash
    4) 10” AAX Splash
    5) 20” AAX Stage Ride
    6) 18” AAX Dark Crash
    7) 13” HHX Evolution (sizzle rivet mod.)
    8) 8” AAX Splash
    9) 16” Zildjian A Custom Crash

Typically position a 16" crash near the Hihat and an 18" crash near the ride. China's usually positioned at the far left or far right. Splash @ 12:00 o'clock and/or over x-hats.

User Info Menu

I only use 2 crashes. I put the 16 on the left and the 18 on the right. Always have.

User Info Menu

Left to right:

14" Hats
    19" Crash
    20" Ride
    18" Crash
    19" Chinese
    A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Premier Cabria Jazz: 10/12/14/20
    Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans
    Vater Stewart Copeland Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Holy thread revival batman.

I don't have alot of cymbals but I would like a smaller crash to add to my collection. I currently have:

13" Sabian AAX Fusion hats on my left
    18" Paiste Alpha Rock Crash in front of me
    18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash to my right
    21" Sabian AA Dry Ride furthest right

I would like to have a 16" in front of me and move the paiste to the middle. I also have a 10" Sabian AA Splash which I just don't use anymore, think I might sell it to fund something else.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Oh goody, another excuse to waffle on about my kit

My cymbals are divided into three 'categories'.

Hi Hat and Ride are in the traditional places, i.e. the ride is to the right of my two rack toms and above and behind the floor tom.

My two main crashes are 2002 15", one classic one medium. TBH, the classic is my favorite crash, but as it's tone is slightly lower than the medium, I use it as a 'number 2' crash, since I prefer to do my more regular crashing on the highest pitched cymbal, which is the medium, then accent by swapping in the lower toned classic. As such, the medium is above and to the right of my hats, so I can go back and forth very quickly between them. The classic lives above the right rack tom, fairly low, so it's in the right place for a 'two handed rock crash' along with the medium. It's also good for hitting when moving back and forth between hats and ride. One of these days I'll replace the medium with something faster, or else get something lower toned than the classic and swap them around.

The last two cymbals are more like effects cymbals. A Paiste Signature 17" power crash, that has a way lower tone and longer sustain than any of my main 2002 crashes. I rarely use this, as it's tonally quite different, and when I do it's hit on its own, so it sits high up and to the right of my main crash, so more or less above the left rack tom, but higher. The final cymbal is a Zildjian 18" Oriental Trash Crash. I didn't used to play this all that much, but have come to appreciate its tone, that it makes a nice accent when riding, and its also nice to crash along with the medium 2002. So this sits above the Ride, so to the right and above the classic crash. This way it's handy when riding, and also easy to do the 'two handed rock crash' along with the medium 2002.

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

From left to right:

16" A Custom Fast Crash
    13" K Custom Hybrid Hi-hats
    8" A Custom Splash
    18" Wuhan China
    17" A Custom Crash
    10" Meinl Sound Caster Splash
    16" A Custom Fast Crash
    20" A Custom Ping Ride
    Home made stack - Dream 8" Contact Splash sitting right on top of a 12" Bliss Splash
    8" Meinl Lightning Splash
    18" Wuhan China
    17" A Custom Fast Crash
    Home Made Stack #2 - 12" Wuhan China sitting right on top of a 12" Meinl Nickel Splash
    30" Hand Hammered Zildjian Gong

User Info Menu

two exact 16 crashes,im guessing thats your go to cym,i like the 16 A crash,also the 17 A Im diggin nice drum sets NP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

From left to right:

16" A Custom Fast Crash
    13" K Custom Hybrid Hi-hats
    8" A Custom Splash
    18" Wuhan China
    17" A Custom Crash
    10" Meinl Sound Caster Splash
    16" A Custom Fast Crash
    20" A Custom Ping Ride
    Home made stack - Dream 8" Contact Splash sitting right on top of a 12" Bliss Splash
    8" Meinl Lightning Splash
    18" Wuhan China
    17" A Custom Fast Crash
    Home Made Stack #2 - 12" Wuhan China sitting right on top of a 12" Meinl Nickel Splash
    30" Hand Hammered Zildjian Gong
    Man, what a great shot. Love it everytime I see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerzey Street Band (JSB) View Post
    Holy thread revival batman.
    You got that right!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

This is my old kit but the cymbal set up is the same.

User Info Menu

NPYYZ- You kit is amazing. I never get tired of drooling over the set up!