Thread: drummers a different breed?

User Info Menu

Question drummers a different breed?

Of the people within the band it seems that the dummers are the most down to earth people and they talk to you like a person. But WAIT ! they are crazy well thats what people think . maybe thats why they get all chicks because they are not ( insert your own word here) to people. Or they are just a different breed.
    workout and make noise play the drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: drummers a different breed?

i think it has to do with drummers sitting in the back, drummers don't demand attention we just like to play our drums, and i think that keeps us from getting as big of egos as say lead singers?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

SK, it takes the right kind of person to want to play the drums. As DD said, drummers are in the background, and we are not really seeking the limelight. Does that make us more down to earth? Maybe. Does it mean our egos aren't quite so inflated? Probably. In the end though, it takes all kinds of different talents and egos to make a band happen. I'd love to play lead guitar, but I just don't have the ego necessary to stand out front. I'm very content to do my thing in the background - the perfect drummer! LOL Now if I could just master the instrument! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As always, I think we have to be careful with generalizations. The nicest guy in my band is the lead guitarist. In fact, he's probably the nicest person on the planet. None of us have huge egos, but the most outgoing are the rhythm guitarist and myself. Ego wise, I'm fairly humble about my musicianship, but not necessarily about everything. Same for the rhythm guitarist. The bassist is the brooding type.

Our dynamic might be a little unusual because we've been together for over 20 years, are best friends, and we all actually sing (although that's newer for me). So we don't really have a "lead" singer, etc...

My experience with good guitarists is that they are actually usually the quiet one's, like my son (who also plays drums). They use the stage as an outlet. I'm more the typical wacky drummer who's outgoing all the time.

Bob, as for being out front, I've done it a few times when my kid plays drums and I sing and it is frightening without an instrument. I was really nervous, so I agree that I don't have the confidence to be in front singing.

User Info Menu

Definitely a different breed. We are the only ones crazy enough to be drummers so what do you think. You have to remember that nothing is true onehundred percent of the time. Drummers are not always humble, you do know who Buddy Rich was right? Mostly it has to do with how you were raised and not with what you play. I am very unhumble about drumming but I try not to be too stuck up about anything else.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Your right! If you have ever heard the audio tapes of Buddy Rich going off on his band members you would know just how "Humble" He was. I was ear marked the clown of the band I was in but that's just my nature. Bottom line was I just wanted to play the drums and make some good friends, Nothing more, nothing less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    SK, it takes the right kind of person to want to play the drums. As DD said, drummers are in the background, and we are not really seeking the limelight.
    As individuals playing with our own bands, I agree though I am
    not sure you could label that to Tommy Lee, Or Keith Moon, Or Bonzo or any of the big name drummers...
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

drummers are cool dudes end of story.
    oops not quite they are sometimes cool dudettes, sry girlz.

User Info Menu

Nothing is true 100% of the time and yea people like moon are a little nuts .
    workout and make noise play the drums.

User Info Menu

I am just content to play my drums and make really good music. I am not comfortable as a show off so I just want to play and groove to the music. And leave all the entertaining to the others

User Info Menu

yeah, i just like to play, but when there are people watching i do my absolute best, why be known as the drummer whos ok, when you can be known as the guy who rocks(on the drums)!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stump knocker View Post
    Nothing is true 100% of the time and yea people like moon are a little nuts .

haha....moon was the whackiest of the whacky.....but i love him.

User Info Menu

why drummers get all teh girls?
    some people call this the 'drummer appeal', its true when you're behind the kit you're 10x cooler LOL
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    As individuals playing with our own bands, I agree though I am
    not sure you could label that to Tommy Lee, Or Keith Moon, Or Bonzo or any of the big name drummers...
    A good point Dustin. I was definitely overgeneralizing drummers, and even guitarists! It even takes all types to be musicians, doesn't it! Hey, that's a lot like life - go figure.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!