Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow Bells & Alcohol

User Info Menu

Default Cow Bells & Alcohol

So what is your experience with Cowbells? Heres what Im asking.
    I LOVE cowbells to death, fine fine percussion piece,
    BUT but when they get into the wrong hands they can be dangerous. Especially if the person pounding it is not a percussionist or intoxicated ( or both). And Im not just talking about an audience member but more about other band members
    . Ok , yes I am taking about the lead singer ...no offense,,

1) Cow bells are a percussion instrument (for one), not just something to occupy your hands.
    ( light up a smoke )

2) You dont need to hold a cowbell up to your vocal mike.
    3) You dont need to beat dents in it. ( and stop ruining every drumstick)
    4) You dont need to be just a bit off the beat , especially erratically.
    5) If you must beat on something else ,for a change, why not try a guitar , saxaphone or maybe a piano, or anything else you dont know how to play.

If you do any of the list from 1-4 ( even after a suggestion or plea not to ) what would you guys do then???

And if you do item 5) See how the guitar or keyboard player like you now.

Tomorrow night Im gonna hide the cowbells just before the 1st set
    Last edited by bldrums; 07-25-2008 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cow Bells & Alcohol

Whoa....somebody has an issue. However, can't blame you. I hated it whenever anyone wanted to bang on any of my stuff just for the sake of it.

User Info Menu

yeah that sucks thats making you look bad if hes off the beat

User Info Menu

I hate the cowbell personally, keep em where they belong .....on a Bovine.
    I have many of them in my electronic pre recorded sets, but I will never add one to my modified electronic voices set ups. I have only ever owned one real cowbell contraption thing and it is long gone plus it left a mark on my kick hoop.
    I seriously expect some recourse on this one from you boys, but enough with the cowbell threads already....way too many on here.
    I cant think of one song where the stupid thing makes an improvement to the groove or overall tune!! and dont say honky tonk woman or I will scream.
    tonktonk tonktonk tonk. give me a break. horrid. Only thing worse than having to listen to a mad cowbell session all night could be a 5 minute solo on a set of non projecting Rototoms.uuuggggghhhhh makes me shudder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bldrums View Post
    BUT but when they get into the wrong hands they can be dangerous. Especially if the person pounding it is not a percussionist or intoxicated ( or both). And Im not just talking about an audience member but more about other band members

1) Cow bells are a percussion instrument (for one), not just something to occupy your hands.
    ( light up a smoke )

5) If you must beat on something else ,for a change, why not try a guitar , saxaphone or maybe a piano, or anything else you dont know how to play.

If you do any of the list from 1-4 ( even after a suggestion or plea not to ) what would you guys do then???

All that made me laugh. Just leave the cowbell at home next gig and the problem will be solved!

User Info Menu

We joke about this ( sorta like "whats the difference between an onion and a violin,,,no body crys when you chop up a violin") I really didnt mean to sound grumpy~~I really like violins!
    Or
    "How do you know when a drummer breaks up with his girlfriend,,,he homeless".

I know, Ive started reshaping the thread now! There are at least a million musician jokes somewhere on this forum.

Rock on and have an awesome weekend (on the drums hopefully!)

Bl

User Info Menu

The truth is that various instruments can sound good when played well, and the same instruments can sound terrible when played badly. Nobody should believe they can just pick up an instrument (or a musical doodad LOL), and play it. There are places where things fit into the music, and there are ways that pieces needs to be played. Band members have to respect, and be honest with each other or the music will suffer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The cowbell is a very effective instrument. I use it sparingly with the big band and it's just exactly the right thing when I do use it. At home for my practice sessions, I use the cowbell quite a bit as I work on various Latin grooves.

User Info Menu

i have never tried to drink alcohol from a cowbell, but im sure its possible.

It strange how much polarity the bovine bell can create amongst drummers! My personal taste is I like it the sound of it ..

User Info Menu

Actually,only the cow would be able to correctly play the cowbell....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    i have never tried to drink alcohol from a cowbell, but im sure its possible.

It strange how much polarity the bovine bell can create amongst drummers! My personal taste is I like it the sound of it ..
    Im only having a laugh roon, anything can be a percussive instrument,
    I just am not too keen when a band thinks sticking a silly cowbell pattern in a rock tune is cool, most of the time its overkill. keep smiling peeps.

User Info Menu

I suggest a triangle or Kazoo!!

User Info Menu

Cowbells and alcohol - sounds like the title of a really bad Country song!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cow Bells & Alcohol

( light up a smoke )

Hey, bldrums, hope hiding the cowbells helped ya...

Scary part is too many bandmates think the same way you're describing the mess you're in, as, "what's so difficult about playin' a cowbell?" I'd avoid doing #5; a cowbell is easier (and less expensive) to replace than a guitar or a keyboard!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

What I've always found interesting is that every singer assumes that the cowbell or tamborine is their instrument. They just pick it up and start wailing. I have actually taken it out of their hands before and told them that they should just stick to singing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    What I've always found interesting is that every singer assumes that the cowbell or tamborine is their instrument. They just pick it up and start wailing. I have actually taken it out of their hands before and told them that they should just stick to singing.
    What's even worse than a tambo in the hands of a lead singer is one in the church in the hands of a congregant, playing a half a beat behind. Ushers, remove that woman. . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

You beat me to it. A tamborine in the wrong hands is a disaster!

User Info Menu

One of the bands I am in, I have hidden the tambourine on occasion because of over use. There is a male and female lead vocalist and they occupy their time on stage when not singing playing the tambourine and a little goes a long way. So on break I have been known to make the tambourine disappear.

User Info Menu

Cowbells are very effective in Latin music in the hands of a good percussionist who knows the proper patterns. I find them pretty boring, and repetative when someone is incessantly playing quarter notes on a rock tune. You mention alcohol also, I've been on jobs where we may have a beer between sets, but just how much alcohol are we talking about, is your lead singer getting wasted before or during your shows? Is the alcohol effecting his performance, if so that would be an issue I'd want to deal with also.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

( light up a smoke )

No brainer. Get a new lead singer! It's like when I take my big boat out. I leave the alcohol at home. Same with gigs. Give me water and I'm a happy drummer.

All my band mates are sober, so I'd say get a sober lead vocalist. Simple.

Last edited by Destroyer; 07-28-2008 at 07:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I cant think of one song where the stupid thing makes an improvement to the groove or overall tune!! and dont say honky tonk woman or I will scream.
    tonktonk tonktonk tonk. give me a break. horrid.
    So what about all the Lynyrd Skynyrd songs and Mississippi Queen by Mountain? Just to name a few. Seriously everything has its place in music somewhere or another.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

If it was me i would "persuade" him to buy his own cowbell...

Ok, maybe wrong choice of words but seriously you could suggest it to him if he uses it alot, you can pick them up for pretty cheap if you look in the right places (Maybe a field if hes feeling adventurous )

Or does he just use if when hes drunk? Then maybe hiding it is the best policy.

User Info Menu

( light up a smoke )

I agree a %100. Heres a video example of how it can go all wrong....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSkRHXTKlw

User Info Menu

Bad things happen when musicians try to mix up the duties on stage. I mean, there was this keys geek who wanted to run around on stage like the front man and guitarist. He invented the keytar. 'Nuf said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    So what about all the Lynyrd Skynyrd songs and Mississippi Queen by Mountain? Just to name a few. Seriously everything has its place in music somewhere or another.
    mississipi queen!! straight ahead cowbell bashing at its worst!! please.