Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Kit Warning

User Info Menu

Default Electric Kit Warning

I had the pleasure of playing on a real gretsch kit the other day. It had 4 toms and a smaller bass drum and lots of little percussive things everywhere like bells and heaps of cymbals. I really liked the crash cymbal with holes in it... a hybrid crash / china sound... very cool.

This is my first significant time on real drums. All practice time so far has been on an e-kit with rubber pads. SO many fun hours.

BUT

I couldnt hit cleanly nor did i know how hard to strike on the accoustic.... It was really difficult. It seemed that everything i have learned about stick control went out the window. THe cymbals where just so difficult to actually play - the ride kept ringing as i rode it! - it was a really large zildjan ride. I couldnt play anything that sounded any good at all. but on the e-kit i am getting proficient - like average beginner level

They should print this on the box

WARNING:
    Playing an electric kit for extended periods has a detrimental effect if you want to be a real drummer.

now i'm wondering if its a good thing to have an electric kit.. Is there any benefits in them? (part from the obvious like noise control and computer interfacing). i suppose you go thru the motions with them... but if your muscles and nerves have to relearn everything whats the use! could be almost time for some real drums... hahahahahahahahahehehehe

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electric Kit Warning

wowsa, That is real scary bud, I come from the opposite side as I have learned and played on acoustics for eons, I can see where the subtleties of a ride and the less responsive skins would really throw a newbie. I currently practise 100% on the electronics and 80% of gigs are a combo of electronic and acoustic. the other 20% is all acoustic, certain type gigs do not call for any electronic stuff. Im sure your many hours of practise on the e kit is not wasted as My first kit was a Bill Sanders all rubber practise kit that I had for a year , the problem is it was so long ago that I cant remember any transition issues from the rubber kit to the acoustics!! I guess you just had your first real hard lesson on dynamics!! see as u now know, when u hit a real ride it goes doing for ages.

User Info Menu

Well if you have never played acoustic I can see where it might take an little while to figure it out. My suggestion is to enjoy the discovery process.

I practice on an E kit but I have mesh heads and gig with an acoustic. I switch back and forth so much I don't even think about it.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

roon-
    You're absolutely right in terms of going from one type, E-kit and Acoustic kit. If you're on an E-kit for the extended time it makes you a bit lazy regarding finesse and your ability/need to work your kit when you jump back on an acoustic set. I too dangerously practice at home on an E-kit but, I just work on things for basically a short period of time. I can sure see your point tho! Great post and insight, Thanks!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I guess you just had your first real hard lesson on dynamics!! see as u now know, when u hit a real ride it goes doing for ages.
    precisely Rat! The ride just kept building up and up, incredibly beautiful sustain.. like a great wall of... RIDE.
    I am wondering if the sustain is actually a function of the diameter of the cymbal? This was one huge ride cymbal - like the shield of a Greek god.

Mandelbaum: My suggestion is to enjoy the discovery process.
    yes mate .. LOL - every minute.. every discovery, every sound.! It would be nice to have some real drums . I am really starting to consider this option so i can do the old switcha-rooney too.

drumrbychoice: f you're on an E-kit for the extended time it makes you a bit lazy regarding finesse and your ability/need to work your kit when you jump back on an acoustic set.

Lazy? you calling me laZY DUDE? LOL. and no finesse? LOL damn im going to give up my job as a drummer and become a part time bass player. thats exactly what its like tho. great insight right back at you.

User Info Menu

roon-
    Ya know one thing I really would have to admit... I think playing on an E-kit has brought to light in my opinion is that an acoustic set on a rack system might to be the way to go. You know with the way you're able to super micro position all the toms, etc you're able to really crank around purdy quick! I haven't tried a rack as of yet, But, I'm sure givin it a lot of thought.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Electric Kit Warning

roon...it's like anything else, mate...you learn from your mistakes...no, take that back...it's not so much a mistake as a discovery!

Actually, I can see where playing on an e-kit and an acoustic kit could broaden your chops...but at the same time, you normally don't have to worry about the power goin' off at the wrong time with an acoustic kit...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    roon...it's like anything else, mate...you learn from your mistakes...no, take that back...it's not so much a mistake as a discovery!

Actually, I can see where playing on an e-kit and an acoustic kit could broaden your chops...but at the same time, you normally don't have to worry about the power goin' off at the wrong time with an acoustic kit...

What BB said !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

nicely said r00n.

That`s why i got rid of the Rolands. After playing back and forth between both kits for 7 years, i grew weary. I`ve been totally acoustic for 6 months, and i find myself being almost to the point where i can play everythig live on an acoustic kit that i could on an electric-almost.

My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I play both e kit and acoustic kit,but out of the two if i had to choose one it would have to be acoustic because of the feel and different sounds you can get from it,but e kits are great for late night practise.
    Mapex m birch,black forest cherry,sabian,zildjian cymbals,big dog,pearl pedals,yamaha electric kit.

User Info Menu

The whole thing about you play better or faster on an e kit is nuts. I adjust/ tune my Roland kit to feel like acoustic drums. there is a reason they are tunable. You can crank up a standard drum to tight it will feel like a tennis racket as well. I play both evenly, there is really nothing I can do on my e kit that I cant do on my acoustic kit. well except practice without making noise ;-)

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

yeah i would definetely play on both and not just an e-kit. i prefer acoustic kits much more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    The whole thing about you play better or faster on an e kit is nuts. I adjust/ tune my Roland kit to feel like acoustic drums. there is a reason they are tunable. You can crank up a standard drum to tight it will feel like a tennis racket as well. I play both evenly, there is really nothing I can do on my e kit that I cant do on my acoustic kit. well except practice without making noise ;-)

all im saying is that after playing roland drums for 7 years straight, sit down behind an acoustic kit, and the difference is HUGE.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    all im trying to say rm is that after playing V drums live for 7 years straight, the feel you actually notice when you sit down behind an acoustic kit at a gig is UNBELIEVABLE. The rubber cymbals, and the bass drum are the worst. If you use the roland kits for what they were intended for, (as you do)they truly are superb.

User Info Menu

I do not doubt it. I am back and forth a lot. I practice twice a week with my bands on acoustic and gig a few times a month on acoustic. i play the Rolands' 5-6 times a week as well. I am sure if I stayed on The Rolands' for that amount of time I would have to relearn a few things but I cant imagine it would take to long.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I played on the roland V-Drums for about a year while i was stuck in an apartment, yes the difference is tremendous, but there are advantages to both

such as volume control on the electric and the fact that its like 70 frums and cymbols in one

but electric kits dont have the fell and reverb of an acoustic

so if your stuck with an electric, then try to play on acoustic as often as you can, to get comfortable on both

User Info Menu

"WARNING: Playing an electric kit for extended periods has a detrimental effect if you want to be a real drummer."

So what your saying is if I owned a Pulse or HB or Union or Percussion Plus acoustic kit instead of these, I'd be a "real drummer"?
    Each has it's own positive and negative aspects, so make your choice and play.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

hey way cool kit abc, whats dem small splashy looking cymbals? are they chokable?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Thanks ratmycue. Those are Yamaha PCY-10's, which were discontinued about 7 years ago, but do pop-up on eBay every now and then. Their single-zone and not chokeable. The modules/cymbals are Yamaha with all Pintech mesh drums.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat ABCgang! That's a very nice e-kit that you've put together! I tend to feel that work on an e-kit is no more detrimental than working on a practice pad would be. The key would be that if you want to play acoustic, then you have to go back and forth. To practice exclusively on an e-kit, and then expect to perform on an acoustic wouldn't make sense, anymore than it would make sense to practice exclusively on a practice pad, and then expect to perform acoustically. Of course, the reverse is also true. You shouldn't practice on an acoustic set, and them expect to perform on an e-kit either.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome pastor bob.

I understand the nuances of individuals preferring different playing surfaces (rubber, mesh, mylar, acylic, bronze), but for the OP to make an opinionated, thoughtless statement about what style of drum does or doesn't make a "real drummer" is beyond me. If you've seen Neil Pearts "Anatomy of a Drum Solo", you'll see he has no difficulties switching between his a-kit to his e-kit and back to his a-kit. I wonder if he thinks he's a real drummer?

Ok, I got it all out of my system and will return to my yoga tape. Breath deep, breath deeper, breath deepest. Let the negative energy flow out and away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    Thanks for the welcome pastor bob.

I understand the nuances of individuals preferring different playing surfaces (rubber, mesh, mylar, acylic, bronze), but for the OP to make an opinionated, thoughtless statement about what style of drum does or doesn't make a "real drummer" is beyond me. If you've seen Neil Pearts "Anatomy of a Drum Solo", you'll see he has no difficulties switching between his a-kit to his e-kit and back to his a-kit. I wonder if he thinks he's a real drummer?

Ok, I got it all out of my system and will return to my yoga tape. Breath deep, breath deeper, breath deepest. Let the negative energy flow out and away.
    You need this Mantra buddy when dealing with anti e kit guy's,
    I am a hollow reed and the wind shall blow straight thru me.
    I use it all the time when I come across, true drummers who are ONLY acoustic real drummers, and thx for the info on the single zone yammy splashy things.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Welcome Nice kit i'd like to try that one. I love my e kit and my acoustics also !!

User Info Menu

lavely set u have,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

ABCgang i counted 21 triggers you are using 2 modules right ?? Which ones can't tell from the pics.