Thread: My Pinkey.

User Info Menu

Question My Pinkey.

Hi everyone,
    Lately I've been noticing my pinkey coming off of the stick when I practice my rudiments because I get more rebound this way. Should I try to keep my pinkey on?

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Pinkey.

I would say whatever is more comfortable for you. I try to keep minimal finger contact other then the fulcrum points. I do sometimes use my fingers on my right hand to assist the rebound.

User Info Menu

that used to happen to me, i think i just tightened my grip, but you'll get over it, whether it gets fixed or not, as long as it doesnt mess you up when your playing it should be fine, you'll find the way around it soon, no worrys!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Pinky fingers on the sticks at all times!! Without, you stress the wrist and ultimately give up to much control. It is worth the time and effort to work the rebound with fingers on the sticks. Your playing will be so much better, you'll see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Pinky fingers on the sticks at all times!! Without, you stress the wrist and ultimately give up to much control. It is worth the time and effort to work the rebound with fingers on the sticks. Your playing will be so much better, you'll see.
    I was just watching a drum lesson video and this guy had his pinkey off of the stick when doing the triple stroke roll. I'm confused, I don't want to be learning the wrong technique. Can someone please help me?
    Last edited by drummer; 07-29-2008 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Traditional or Match grip?

Last edited by Destroyer; 07-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Traditional or Match grip?

Match grip.

User Info Menu

I thought this thread was called MS. Pinky, after a Frank Zappa song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Match grip.
    OK then! Pinky's on stick lad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrior9 View Post
    I try to keep minimal finger contact other then the fulcrum points.
    Respectfully, this is not recommended. Because of the popularity of the Moeller Technique and similar, it has become fashionable for less-experienced instructors to concentrate on the fulcrum only and they de-emphasize the other fingers. This is confusing a lot of beginner drummers. Guys, as Frank said, it is important to have the other fingers around the stick to have control. How much around the stick and whether or not it includes the pinky finger is subjective. I use the tempo and the difficulty factor to determine when it is appropriate. For example; if you're playing an extremely fast single stroke roll, you need to float the stick a bit more to get the faster speed. This is because speed comes from not just the wrist, but from the fingers too. Slower speeds, especially with certain rudiments and depending on how it is used, require more control and you're going to find it very difficult to have that control and exactness without the use of the fingers on the stick.

User Info Menu

I think the clarification here should be what "on the stick" means. It doesn't mean to grip the stick tightly. Maybe our experienced drummers can speak to what it means to have finger control of the sticks. I, personally, would have a lot of interest in what you all would have to say.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As a traditional grip player I let my fingers float. That is to say, my left hand has all five fingers touching at some point and only three at others. The three of course being thumb, forefinger, and middle finger. And you can jolly well slam with your left hand as solidly as any matched grip player....with practice and build-up of the flesh at the apex between thumb and forefinger into a nice callus. And snare drum at a comfortable tilt.

My right hand maintains the fulcrum axis of thumb and forefinger, but middle finger, ring finger and pinky finger retain rebound control.

In both cases it's all about fingers and wrists. Forearm and upper arms come into play, but finesse is really all about fingers and wrists.

It's not a matter of holding the sticks tightly in a 'death grip'. It's a matter of balance and rebound technique. I have to constantly 'reteach' my students that are matched grip players to lessen their tendency to hold on tightly with no fluidity. A great drummer can play for hours on end because there is the relaxation and comfortable feeling of being one with the drum.

It's like a fighter pilot. FIRST you learn how to fly the plane, then in a dogfight, flying the plane becomes secondary. Manuevering behind an enemy plane becomes foremost and flying just comes naturally.

Like the first time you drove a car. You over-steered right? Then it was like "OK...lets not turn the steering wheel QUITE so far next time, and it grew from the comfortableness of learning how to turn a corner correctly to using the turn signal, then braking, etc. etc. etc. to driving and tuning the radio and dialing your cell phone, and talking to the occupants of the car.

You become one with your environment, and it just progresses.

So too drumming, and the stick 'stance' you wish to adopt. Traditional grip or matched grip. The comfort factor comes from correct technique and callus build-up.

All of my beginning students learn on a practice pad, and I teach traditional grip and matched, and the callus build-up is the key for young tender hands. That and correct finger placement, and wrist looseness to enable my student to practice basic rudiments in an orderly and timely fashion.

Last edited by Destroyer; 07-30-2008 at 02:52 AM.

User Info Menu

yes nik u should definitely keep your pinkey on ,every finger is definitely needed good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

if you watch Joe Morellos natural approach to technique he talks about using every part of your finger/ wrist/ arm/ shoulder/ chest/ neck/ head/ body in its entirety, because its all there. but if you use all your fingers pinkly included you can dribble with a lot more control.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Interesting post, and some great responses, yep your pinkey should be working the stick bud in matched grip, not a deathlike grip more of a rebound bounce control kinda feel. Go see a drum teacher to check your technique. learn it wrong and you got issues down the road. seriously.here is a short vid of jojo showing some finger control.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RfibLd...eature=related
    Last edited by ratmycue; 07-31-2008 at 05:52 AM.