Thread: Bass drum head.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Bass drum head.

Hi everyone,
    How long is an average life of a bass drum head for you guys?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum head.

Mine usually lasts a year or more and I play pretty hard. A lot of it depends on how much you're playing and how hard you play. It also depends on the quality of the drumhead, whether or not you use a wood or felt beater, and whether or not you use impact pads on the head.

User Info Menu

Mine has lasted me for over 5 years now, but I don't practice on my kit, it is only used for gigging, I practice and rehearse on different kits.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bass drum head.

Hey Charlie Watts Didnt Change His Bassdrumhead For 22 Years Da Old Remo Cs Blackdot Was On So So Many Rolling Stones Songs!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Hey Charlie Watts Didn't Change His Bassdrumhead For 22 Years Da Old Remo Cs Blackdot Was On So So Many Rolling Stones Songs!!!!
    That head should be auctioned off, someone would probably pay a handsome sum for that head just for the sure number of concerts and venues played and the history of Who, What and where it has been. Instead it'll wind up on the wall in someplace like Dubai in a hard rock café.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Hey Charlie Watts Didnt Change His Bassdrumhead For 22 Years Da Old Remo Cs Blackdot Was On So So Many Rolling Stones Songs!!!!
    Way to go Charlie!!! His look really hasn't changed in 22 yrs either! Love his drumming.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you can get at least a couple of years out of a kick drum head if you:

A. Use a stick-on kick pad where the beater hits.

B. Loosen the lugs and rotate the head 90 degrees every 6 months or so.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    B. Loosen the lugs and rotate the head 90 degrees every 6 months or so.
    i don't get that one if my beater lands in the center of the head then all im doing is turning the center over. o this one confuses me why do you suggest that?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    i don't get that one if my beater lands in the center of the head then all im doing is turning the center over. o this one confuses me why do you suggest that?
    I would think it is because most beaters do not land exactly in the middle of the head. they land roughly somewhere in the bottom third of the head.

User Info Menu

I`ve used my BD skin for 2 years. I have a small evans impact pad on the sweet spot. It`s still looking fine.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I would think it is because most beaters do not land exactly in the middle of the head. they land roughly somewhere in the bottom third of the head.
    Exactly!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .