Thread: Two questions/Storing/using only snare to practice

User Info Menu

Default Two questions/Storing/using only snare to practice

Hello,
    As my adult children keep returning to the nest, I am running out of room for my set, so I will probably have to tear them down and store them.

Questions- I do not have any kind of drum bags or cases, so what would be the best/proper way to store them? I.E.-loosen heads, do/do not store lying on face. They may be down for an extended period of time. Any tips appreciated.

Second question-- would it be wise to keep the snare out and just practice rudiments on just the snare? Or would just learning on one piece make it more difficult when I later go back to the whole set because I would not be learning to add bass or hihats on proper beat?
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Two questions/Storing/using only snare to practice

any practice is great. I live in Austin TX so I store my drums in the house, to much humidity to do anything else. Just stack them in a corner in the house, they will be fine.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

get rid of a couch and put em there!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    any practice is great. I live in Austin TX so I store my drums in the house, to much humidity to do anything else. Just stack them in a corner in the house, they will be fine.
    Yep.

User Info Menu

Move the kids into the garage!!!!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Buy a tent and make them live in it.

User Info Menu

dont have any old tree forts in the back?

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Really bags are not cost prohibitive, I would buy some of those and store them in the corner as suggested. but they would be better protected in drum bags.

User Info Menu

HMMM< move kids to Garage...Tree fort---Tent. Good ideas. No Garage, Not in my Trees--so tent it is.
    Move couch (not if i value "quality" with the wife)

rmandelbaum---Thanks for the info. I did stack them in the corner and willl be looking into bags.

Any ideas on my snare question? will just using it alone cause problems when I go back to full set...or help?

ThePloughman Guest

I practice with just a snare most of the time.
    Especially brushes. Most of the time at band practice I am using a snare and brushes, most of the time at gigs, its a full set and sticks.

User Info Menu

keep your snare and hi hat out, you can even rig up a cowbell to the kick pedal for grooving or just tap your foot on the floor if you hate the sound.
    I personally would set the full kit up in one of the repatriated adult kids bedrooms and whail away for hours, that should cure the problem and voila you have your drum room back in no time!!

User Info Menu

"Repatriated adult kids" now that is really funny!

User Info Menu

No, you don't need to de-tune them, they'll be just fine. Practice pads are good for stick exercise, and yes, bags are not that expensive, but they will run into money, and although hard cases are a little more? I would save up for the hard cases.

Until that time comes however, a much better solution is to stack them in a corner, place towels or bits of cloth between each drum as you stack, and cover the whole assembly in a nice new sheet or coverlet. Definitely get yourself a good sturdy padded snare drum bag if you don't have one already to store your snare drum in for the time being. They are relatively inexpensive, and you don't want to squeeze your snare drum into the stacked kit, nor do you want it sitting precariously on top. Store it under the bed, in a closet etc. Cymbal bags are a little more money, but it's a great investment to get a really good one so your cymbals will be well-protected, dust free, and clean.

In my early 20's I had a small bachelor's studio apartment in NYC and I would stack my two drum kits in each corner either side of my bed. In between each stacked drum was a really nice thick round cardboard pad cut exactly to size so it made for a really neat shining tower of beautifully protected drums. I stored one of my snare drums in a hard case inside my bass drum hard case. The other snare drum in a drum bag under my bed.

Champagne Sparkle Ludwig's in one corner, White Pearl Slingerland's in the other. I never covered them because they looked so pretty stacked up like that. Nice and clean and polished. Added a really nice colorful touch to the room.

Plus I would use either one or the other pretty much every weekend gigging at C.B.G.B.'s or wherever, so all I needed was 1 set of hard cases, since both kits had basically the same size drums.

The tom hard cases I stacked beside the refrigerator, the bass drum hard case made a great coffee table with a cool cloth cover into which I stored my cymbal bag w/cymbals and my snare drum, also inside it's hard case. Often times I would use my floor tom hard case with a practice pad on top to practice my licks so as not to disturb my neighbors.

My wheeled roll-on hard case with all my stands, pedals, throne, extra hardware, stick bag, etc. I used with a nice colorful quilted coverlet on top as a table to put my little TV on.

Gig time? my band mates would help me load up whichever set I was using that night and off we'd go.

Colorful, efficient, and shipshape.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-29-2008 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I bought Nomad fiberboard cases to store the beginner kit that I'm saving for my son. It adds a bit a protection to the stacking process, and when I do move them, I'm sure they'll be OK. Not necessarily gig rugged, but good enough for around the house, or in my case, the next time I move.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

only stacked my kit while I was rebuilding them, one at a time..........I saved the cardboard cartons the new heads came in and put one on the bottom, and between the layers, because i didn't want the rim of a smaller drum resting directly on the bigger drum's head..........was reasonably stable and I saved the boxes for the future........reduce, reuse, recycle.......lol
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    "Repatriated adult kids" now that is really funny!