Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Zildjian ride for $100?

User Info Menu

Default Which Zildjian ride for $100?

Someone offered me either one or both 20" rides that he has for a while but never used. One is a K Custom and the other he said a Jack DeJohnette. I didn't find any info on a Zildjian DeJohnette though, although I did see something in regard to Sabian.

Going to see them and listen to them, but just curious as to value and sound as both seem like a good value for $100 each and I'm looking for a ride.
    Last edited by gunit; 07-29-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: error

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Zildjian ride for $100?

Gunit, I looked for the Jack DeJohnette, and I found an Aquarian drumhead!! Jack DeJohnette has his name on everything! I did find the cymbal, though. It was a Sabian Signature Jack DeJohnette Encore Ride. It was described as having a dry stick sound, with soft feel. The K Custom ride should give a brighter sound than the typical K ride, so I would think it would have an ability to cut through a mix a bit better than the Sabian Signature Jack DeJohnette Encore ride. My guess is that the Jack DeJohnette would be a better Jazz cymbal.

Maybe some others will have more hands on opinions.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

At $100 each personally I'd buy both of them, you can probably sell the one you don't want for close to what you payed for both of them. That is a great price on a couple of pro model cymbals.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Amen CD! I wish I'd said that, because the cymbals both go for around $350 new.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

If it was me i'd very quickly buy them both,The k custom sells new for about £220 which is $400ish i think,so if there is no cracks keyholing etc grab a bargain and buy them both.
    Mapex m birch,black forest cherry,sabian,zildjian cymbals,big dog,pearl pedals,yamaha electric kit.

User Info Menu

i would take both too

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I am thinking about maybe buying both. Not sure which K it is. I figured I couldn't lose at those prices.

Never owned K's, any one to look for in particular?

Guy told me the Dejohnette is darker and drier than the K Custom.
    Last edited by gunit; 07-29-2008 at 06:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Which Zildjian ride for $100?

Buy Em Both Then Ya Always Have An Alternate "voice" Sounds Like Too Good A Deal To Pass Em Both Up For Dat Price!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I have an 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride, a 20" Zildjian A Medium ride, and a 20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride. Each one is different, and I got each one used, so I got all three of them for the price of one new ride.

User Info Menu

They both sound like good cymbals, I've never heard the Jack DeJohnette but the Z Custom is great. For only $100 each, you should definitely get both and like some people already said, if you don't like them you might be able to sell them for even more than $100 each. Congrats on your find and good luck.

User Info Menu

k custom if you can only afford one

User Info Menu

Gunit...for the price, you can't go wrong with either cymbal. The K custom will probably have more use for you as an all round cymbal whereas the Dejohnette will be drier and more articulate which is great for jazz and softer playing. You didn't mention what kind of music you play and what other cymbals you already have. Both factors are important as every cymbal has its own character...they don't always compliment each other. I play Big Band and use the Mel Lewis signature Istanbul AGOP hand hammered cymbal. To compliment that, I also acquired the same in 14' Hi-Hats. However, I also have a K Constantinople 20" light ride and it is all together different. I use this for my jazz trio more than I do with the Big Band...two different venues of playing requiring specific needs. By the way, even at sale price, both of these cymbals plus the hats set me back $800.

User Info Menu

agreed!!! if you can, buy em both. the K custom will be you more vesitle and familiar sounding cymbal and would be my personal choice if i was in the market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Buy Em Both Then Ya Always Have An Alternate "voice" Sounds Like Too Good A Deal To Pass Em Both Up For Dat Price!!!!
    HOLA como estas PHROGGE * Mi amigo CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST )CAT) GREAT ADVICE ** Gracias

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    agreed!!! if you can, buy em both. the K custom will be you more vesitle and familiar sounding cymbal and would be my personal choice if i was in the market.
    Hola como estas FUNKYMCSTAIN MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) FORSURE * EXCELLENT**Gracias

User Info Menu

Buy them both, and then give one to me for Christmas

Really, its a great price if they are in decent condition.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I am leaning toward the K for my own use. Just not sure what I would need the Dejohnette for since my band does not play jazz. I have played Constatinoples and was not quite a fan.

User Info Menu

Sell the Dejohnette on Craigslist or eBay. You can make a pretty penny on it, after all you'll be getting it for less than a third of the actual price! But that's just a suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    At $100 each personally I'd buy both of them, you can probably sell the one you don't want for close to what you payed for both of them. That is a great price on a couple of pro model cymbals.
    I agree, if it were me that is what I would do, and would like to do if you don't buy them, I will!

User Info Menu

oh the dejohnette is a dark dark ride, that would be snapped up quickly by me.

User Info Menu

I would say get em both as well. Like Frank said a lot of it depends on what you have and what you play. I figure you can't go wrong with a K custom.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Here are some pics of 2 of the 3 rides I was offered:

I am still waiting on the Dejohnette but I think the Dry ride is even too much for my style of music. Condition looks really good except for some duct tape residue on the bottoms.

I like the K but it is much different than my other cymbals, but I really can't go wrong for $100, right? I suppose I could buy the other 2 and sell them as well.

User Info Menu

he put ductape on the bottom?

well anyway like CD said buy them both and sell the one you dont like for lik 150 or 200 then you have more money to buy more stuff for your kit (we all love more)

User Info Menu

Gunit, if you can afford the cymbals, this seems like such a good deal, just go for it. You never know what style you might be playing 5 years from now, and the cymbals will still be good.

User Info Menu

Those are some nice cymbals you came by, gunit. The K cymbals are kind of a dichotomy. They were prized by the best of players but, they were also inconsistent one cymbal from the other. In the 50's and early 60's, New York drummers would swamp Mannie's when a shipment of K's arrived. The guys would be there all day long testing each cymbal to find what they wanted. Among them was Elvin Jones and he amassed quite a collection. I would love to hear the DeJohnette!