Thread: coated drum heads

User Info Menu

Default coated drum heads

I have been playing for about 2 years and im replacing my drum heads i have always used non-coaed heads and im thinking maybe coated heads would sound nice i have a pacific LX fusion kit and wondering if coated would be good for me.

i play alot of punk, ska, and reggae

User Info Menu

Default Re: coated drum heads

I would say try them out. If you don't like them, keep them for a spare.

User Info Menu

i use coated, i reckon they look and sound better.. but they show stick marks really quickly.

every-one has their own preference. you may as well give them a whirl and see what you think.
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

IL DUCE Guest

The last time I did a complete head change was in march. I did all my batters and reso's. I hadn't used coated heads in years. This time I figured let me givem a shot it's been awhile. I'm so happy with the sound I got out of my Kit. I used Evans G2 coateds The was a profound change in the sound my kit was produceing. My drums never sounded better. If nothing else thry changeing just one and see if you like it, If you do go out and get the rest.

User Info Menu

okay thanks everyone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StevenJownes View Post
    I have been playing for about 2 years and im replacing my drum heads i have always used non-coaed heads and im thinking maybe coated heads would sound nice i have a pacific LX fusion kit and wondering if coated would be good for me.

i play alot of punk, ska, and reggae
    I recently change from Evans clear top & bottom to Coated G2 batters and G1 Coated bottom heads on a new set of Gretsch Renowns. As with most things, this is subjective and a matter of perception. But to my ear the coated heads seem to provide three things:

1) They warm things up a bit

2)They provide more control.

3) They gravitate to a lower fundamental note.

I will however say the difference is subtle...Perhaps it’s the additional weight the coating provides. When playing wtih different head combinations, the little touch of added weight the coating provides to the resonant head seemed to provide the majority of the change...but here again, not by much...just enough.

I’ve gigged a 2-3 times since changing from clear to coated heads and these new heads have really settled in. (It’s been my experience over the year that drums heads have a “break in period” before they develop consistency much like guitar strings). So on my last couple of outings I'm getting a feel for where they really like to be. The Evans G2 batter and G1 resonant heads really seem to work well with the Gretschs.

For smaller venues and/or to keep the sound guys-engineers happy, the plastic “zero/studio” rings have always been helpful. (It basically just gives you another option that's cheap and effective) This proved to be the case a week or two back in this little place we played with one wall of floor to ceiling window glass and tile flooring.

Hope this helps

Countewfour
    Last edited by Counttewfour; 07-31-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typos

User Info Menu

They would differently warm up your sound and with less attack. I too have an LX kit and that is the result that I have gotten. They will ring more than most want for the type music you play I would think. And if they are single ply they will not sound as good as a two ply tunned low. I personally have fond the Remo Emperor which is a two ply head (one ply is 10 mil thick and the other ply is 7 mil thick) to sound the best on my kit. I did like the Remo coated Ambassadors on there as well, they just didn't sound as fat as the emperors, and as I stated earlier rang more than the two ply heads do. You can however put coated emperors on there and have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 07-31-2008 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I had a Pacific LX and I used Evans G2 coated heads on it. I loved the sound. I use the same on my DW collectors kits now. I just put a new set on about an hour ago as a matter of fact ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Hey Robert, do you find much difference in the tone of your LX kit verses your DW collectors set with all things being equal regarding heads? I am asking about toms and bass drum, I realize snares are another subject all together.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: coated drum heads

I'm Still Da Town Crier For "Aquarian Super"2" COATED Heads.....and My DISTANT 2nd Choice Would Be Remo Emporers....Again As Da Tag Sez "Beauty Is In Da Ears Of Da Beholder"
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!