Thread: How can I build endurance?

User Info Menu

Question How can I build endurance?

I really got into drums about a month ago. My dad, a drummer himself, has taught me a lot, but I find myself lacking something. I get worn out on some long or fast songs. Any tips on how I can improve my endurance as a drummer?

Thanks for any help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How can I build endurance?

Exercise and proper technique. Normal cardio exercise builds stamina and technique is important because a lot of beginning drummers use a lot of arms when they play. If you're playing a fast tune with a lot of successive eighth notes or the like, this will wear you out.

Welcome to Drum Chat! - Kick off your shoes and stay awhile.

User Info Menu

Technique is the key to playing long, fast tune. I had the same problem but when I started studing the Gladstone, Moeller, and Tension free techniques I found that once I got it down I was playing for hours without pain. It takes awhile to get it down but once you do you will be able to play for hours, without pain, or injuries. This tension free technique also applies to your feet. Go on the internet and do a search for these techniques. There are several sites that will explain them and some even have instructional videos for free. The key is to play relaxed and let the motion of your hand and wrist maximize the rebound of the stick. It all starts with the drop of the stick. Good luck and keep on playing!!!

User Info Menu

Well if your away from you kit, you can tap out a few songs you know. Keeps you in coordination without your kit.
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

Lots of good advice here.....I have also found that you can build up endurance over time by extending your practice time. Like starting out by playing for 30 minutes, then the next time play for 45, then an hour. Hey, sometimes you may not feel like it after 20 minutes, but that's okay too.

If you set up a practice cycle, and increase your times each time you play, you'll find that it gets easier to play longer.

One other thing that helps is playing a long song very simply the first few times to get to know the song. Once you've played it a few times, you will find yourself adding more difficult fills. Any song you learn gets easier to play the more you play it. And as you get used to playing longer, you'll also find that you get more relaxed playing, which is huge.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Do something right and slow, then do it all over again and again and again. dont give up
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Building endurance...well everyone has given some great advice. I have a moongel practice pad that I put on top of my snare to do endurance drills. Basically I start out doing 8 bars of sinlges, then 8 bars of doubles, then 8 bars of paradiddles, then back to, doubles, then singles. I do this for 20 to 40 minutes at different metrodome setting. I start a 85 BPM and increase the BPM every 10 minutes. When I'm at work I use a grip builder. I also do alot of tapping with my index fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrior9 View Post
    Building endurance...well everyone has given some great advice. I have a moongel practice pad that I put on top of my snare to do endurance drills. Basically I start out doing 8 bars of sinlges, then 8 bars of doubles, then 8 bars of paradiddles, then back to, doubles, then singles. I do this for 20 to 40 minutes at different metrodome setting. I start a 85 BPM and increase the BPM every 10 minutes. When I'm at work I use a grip builder. I also do alot of tapping with my index fingers.
    sounds like you have lots of time...im jealous...

I like to build endurance by playing singles, doubles, anything on a pillow. It works!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I wish I has more time!!! I do this exercise about 3 times a week. When I'm in my pool I'll take an old pair of stick and while I'm chilling I'll do wrist building exercises with the sticks under the water. I hold the sticks match grip and without moving my arms move the all the way and and down. Do that for 5 to 8 minutes. It will really get your forearms to burn!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How can I build endurance?

Quote Originally Posted by warrior9 View Post
    I do the same thing apart from instead of changing metronome speed i change note length. I start of on 8th note singles, then doubles, then paradiddles, then 16th note singles doubles and paradiddles then 16th note triplet singles doubles and double paradiddles and recently i've started doing 32nd note singles, but I can't pull of the paradiddles or doubles yet =/. And I also do tapping too :D
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

You got the best advice from your respondents. It boils down to doing the Practice Pad exercises first before you sit behind the drums and play. Yes, it can be slow and drawn out but, if you diligently work your stick exercise on the Pad, you will come to find yourself playing the drums with almost no effort.

User Info Menu

hey jsk from what ive learned whatever rudiments you are learning play that rudiment as fast as you can on a soft surface like a pillow and do it every night before you go to sleep for 15 to 30 minutes im almost 100% sure it will make u faster an better at the rudiment u are learning but keep on doing it every night for as many nights as u can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

and it will help u make your endurance alot better than it is now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate the help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jski90 View Post
    I really got into drums about a month ago. My dad, a drummer himself, has taught me a lot, but I find myself lacking something. I get worn out on some long or fast songs. Any tips on how I can improve my endurance as a drummer?

Thanks for any help.
    Repetition.

User Info Menu

peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Shazane Guest

Technique. Make sure you're being as efficient as possible when playing fast, use your wrist more than your arm, your fingers more than your wrist. There's no reason to pull back 5 feet and slam the stick down with your entire arm like I've seen some drummers do, that kind of practice will exhaust you and break your sticks and heads. Just be efficient.

Also practice until you cant sit up on the throne anymore.

User Info Menu

Do you do anything else outside of drumming that requires hard work and effort? Get up to the gym, lift a couple of weights, run a mile, cycle a bit, have a swim. Come back to drumming and it'll be effortless in comparison.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jski90 View Post

Thanks for any help.

All to often someone just gets into drumming and then wonders why they have no endurance, chops, technique and everything else that draws them to it in the first place. One month is certainly not long enough to have learned or gained much of anything. Several replies have suggested some very excellent advice but, untill you have become quite familiar with the very basics of playing, it would all be wasted. Don't be in such a hurry. Take it one day at a time and one step at a time. Set your resolve to learning the drums and not about playing any song that is either to long or to fast. All that will occur naturally and in due time. And when it does, you will be far better prepared and accomplished than you can now imagine.

User Info Menu

First - technique (for several reasons)
    Second - like anything physical, you have to build yourself up to it. Start at a pace you can play and get faster and faster (using a metronome). If you start falling off pace at a certain speed don't keep forcing it. Stop and back off a little and try that faster speed the next day. Keep doing that until you've got it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How can I build endurance?

Practice Practice Practice
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Some pearls of wisdom here eh Jski??....Something that's helped me alot with endurance is exercise besides the obligatory practice on the pillow or pad.. I try to get as many laps of swimming i can a day besides some light lifting and it has certainly allowed me to get to a certain length of time and intensity i can play with...
    Like everyone has already said, but it can never be said enough of course, you should work on your technique... It may sound tedious but trust me when you see the results you'd be more than jumping up and down with excitement...
    Another point, as has been mentioned use a pillow for some part of your practice as it really builds muscle strength because there is no rebound that you get with a pad..

It may sound daunting reading some of this but trust you me, it really doesn't take long to see results and once you do, you need none of us to push you on...
    Welcome to DrumChat...