Thread: Cases

User Info Menu

Default Cases

i've been looking into getting some protection for my set, and was i surprised. everything's a lot more expensive than i thought. i have an 8 piece set, and am looking to get bags for them. i don't have a lot of money. do the cheaper cases work, or should i save for a while and get more padding? i don't plan on throwing them around so to speak, or being careless, so i was leaning towards the little cheaper, less padding sets. any suggestions? good and bad brands? any input would help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cases

It really depends what you are doing. If we are talking about a few gigs / rehearsals a set of soft bags may do the job. I however play one / two or somethimes three gigs in a weekend so a set of hard cases are needed.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I bought a $80.00 cheap set of cases on ebay over 4 years ago. I got tired of gigging with hard cases, way too much work. I am still using the same set of cases today.
    Here is what I have figured out. The more expensive cases will last longer but I figure at that price I can afford to replace them every 3-4 years. I use them on a wrapped kit, I would not use the cheap ones on a lacquer kit, I would be afraid the plastic zipper may scratch the clear coat. The more expensive bags are built better and would not let that happen. But I have had no issues at all with my bags.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with a set of Tuxedo bags for your drums. They aren't the cheapest but not the most expensive either. Well made and will protect your gear. I gig at least once a month and the bags are well suited for my purpose. I transport my drums in my car but, if they were always in a van with other equipment and traveeling more often, I would probably get hard cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    You can't go wrong with a set of Tuxedo bags for your drums. They aren't the cheapest but not the most expensive either. Well made and will protect your gear. I gig at least once a month and the bags are well suited for my purpose. I transport my drums in my car but, if they were always in a van with other equipment and traveeling more often, I would probably get hard cases.
    That is a valid point Frank, I always personally transport my kit too, and have never had a problem with the bags. My kit is lacquer as well, I still don't have a scratch on my kit anywhere. so the bags have been really good for me. But if my drums had to be transported in a band trailer etc. defiantly hard cases would be the ticket. Good Point!

User Info Menu

I got drum bags from musicstore.de in germany, they were dead cheap and they do the trick

My drums were in the back of a van with loads of PA equipment, and not a nick or a scratch on them... I tell ya what.... the cases were well worth the €75 for the set!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    It really depends what you are doing. If we are talking about a few gigs / rehearsals a set of soft bags may do the job. I however play one / two or somethimes three gigs in a weekend so a set of hard cases are needed.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DUSTIN MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS A FACT **EXCELLENT *NOMADS CASES
    OR GATOR ARE VERY COOL ***HARD SHELLS **WHATEVER works for the THE CREATIVE OPEN MINDED ARTIST is ALL GREAT within their OWN UNIQUE
    CREATIVE STYLE(ARTISTRY) within their ARTISTIC JOURNEYS AND LIFE ** GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Demonlition, I use the Nomad cases that SWD just mentioned. They're fiberboard cases, so you don't want to get them wet, even though they're water resistent. I get some plush fabric at any fabric store, and then I cut and glue the fabric inside the case for some extra finish protection. Works well for me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm with SWD and PB - I use Nomad cases. There's enough room in them that if you don't want to take the time to glue a liner in them, you can always wrap the drums in a light towel.

I don't used a liner or towels - just haven't had the time or gumption to line them, and I tried towels and it just adds to my setup and breakdown time. I'm transporting at least 3 times a week, and they've held up really well, and my lacquer finish drums are fine.

I also use an SKB hardware case. That is a bit more money, but it's as close to indestructible as you can get and has a lifetime warranty. It also has handles and wheels. My soft hardware case blew out after about 8 months....if you're transporting a lot, invest in something that will hold up for you.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I'm with SWD and PB - I use Nomad cases. There's enough room in them that if you don't want to take the time to glue a liner in them, you can always wrap the drums in a light towel.

I don't used a liner or towels - just haven't had the time or gumption to line them, and I tried towels and it just adds to my setup and breakdown time. I'm transporting at least 3 times a week, and they've held up really well, and my lacquer finish drums are fine.

I also use an SKB hardware case. That is a bit more money, but it's as close to indestructible as you can get and has a lifetime warranty. It also has handles and wheels. My soft hardware case blew out after about 8 months....if you're transporting a lot, invest in something that will hold up for you.
    HOLA como estas NORSKE MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) FORSURE *EXCELLENT**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

if i was to use soft cases they would have to be the VERY padded kind like preotection rackets top stuff. right now i have a pretty mixed up batch of hard cases. the SKB cases are the best of what i have.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cases

Better to spend a little extra on good quality cases than to skimp and have your drums look like they got caught in the middle of a war zone. Whether they're hard or soft cases, make sure they're tough enough to handle the number of gigs ya do...and make sure you can handle them comfortably, too...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a full set of Protection Racket Cases which are soft cases but very durable. So long as they don't get literally thrown around they are very safe and the cases are easy to carry and aren't heavy (a drummer in another band who I played with recently carried my whole four piece kit out to the van in one go lol!)

The best thing about having cases, ESPECIALLY a good hardware case is that everything has its own space to be packed away into and its easy to make sure you have everything after a gig. I just finished doing a week and a half long tour with one of my bands and I didn't lose a single thing. Not one solitary stick even.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

I've used fiber (very first cases) and then Tuxedo's. Then for a while nothing.

Now that I have 4 very expensive kits I opted for the SKB line. I'm in love with these cases. They are indestructable but more importantly they keep the drums from having a bad day.

We tend to always have peeps at setup and tear down willing to help carry in/out gear. For the longest time without cases I would turn down the help and break my back carrying in all my own gear. Now that I have cased everything, I can accept the help and not worry about anything going wrong.

I never thought I'd spend a lot on cases and frankly hadn't thought about buying any cases up until about a year ago. Now that I have cases for every drum (one complete set to hold a 7pc fusion pack including 16" floor), I feel so much better and relieved that I can set my packed up drums anywhere for a short time with no worries. (i.e. leave them in the garage for the week in between gigs.) Leave them in the truck if I'm feeling lazy. Regardless of where they end up, they are given to best protection possible with SKB.

Sheesh that sounded like a commercial....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Now that I have 4 very expensive kits I opted for the SKB line. I'm in love with these cases. They are indestructable but more importantly they keep the drums from having a bad day.

We tend to always have peeps at setup and tear down willing to help carry in/out gear. For the longest time without cases I would turn down the help and break my back carrying in all my own gear. Now that I have cased everything, I can accept the help and not worry about anything going wrong.
    Amen to both of those points! I just have one relatively expensive kit and I got the SKB cases for the same reasons.
    I can get the drums in and out of a truck or load-in area quicker with the help of others without worrying about it every time someone sets something down; those drums are always OK in the cases.

User Info Menu

I have several different types of cases and bags. If you're keeping an eye out you can find a fair deal thru ebay. Just have to be careful with regard to a seller and his or her feedback. I didn't really need another set... I actually made these folks an offer of, $50.00, and they accepted it. They're brand new. The company is going to there new model/line and these folks grabbed what they could as closeouts. I just figured what the hay... Be patient and you can find a good deal on something suitable and cost effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Those look cool, DBC, and a great price!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've also looked at SKB, and since I already have one of their hardware cases, it would be a better option for me than my Nomad fibre board cases. OR, they may be an option for transporting my second kit.

I'm now in a bit different situation than I was when this thread started. I now leave one kit set up in church, since I'm playing at the same church on a pretty regular basis (2-3 Sundays a month). So I have another kit set up at my band's practice space, but I am going to be gigging with that kit, which is my Mapex Orion kit. I just get a little jittery about transporting them in the Nomads, probably because of the investment I have in the Orions.

My local drum shop has some used XL Protechtor molded polyurethane cases with foam liners, very similar to the SKBs. Has anyone used these? They were very lightly used to transport brand new gear to our big Summer music festival called Summerfest. Now they will sell them at a substantial discount.....like in the range of $300 for a 5-pc. My Orions are 6pc, so I'm figuring $350+ for those. Still a lot cheaper than SKB's.

Any thoughts guys?
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

Yeah...seems to me we'd be a whole lot wealthier if we didn't have to haul our drums around.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

The main thing is "are you the one who will be loading and carrying them?" If it is just you handling them I would say that you can get by with cheaper cases. But even if it is your best friends helping you carry and load your drums I would suggest at least padded bags. John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Yeah...seems to me we'd be a whole lot wealthier if we didn't have to haul our drums around.
    I couldn't agree more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    The main thing is "are you the one who will be loading and carrying them?" If it is just you handling them I would say that you can get by with cheaper cases. But even if it is your best friends helping you carry and load your drums I would suggest at least padded bags. John
    In an ideal world, yes, but in reality, no, others will be helping. Not that I mind people helping me to load, but they don't have a clue how to handle drums. I'm definitely going to get hard cases, it's just a matter of scraping together the cash.

User Info Menu

I have a set of the hard fiber cases from years ago and swear by them. I have enough for my drums only. The only thing I need now is one for equipment , Im starting to get out a little more often now .

User Info Menu

I have SKB and that is what I suggest I traveled with a gospel group for almost 2 years and the cases were loaded and unloaded on and off the bus 2 to 3 times a week and they held up great and are still in like new condition they are a little more costly but well worth it