Thread: Technique.

User Info Menu

Default Technique.

Hi everyone,
    I read an article on the internet lately saying that putting tension on your hands when doing single stroke rolls leads to carpel tunnel syndrome. Does this mean that whenever you tension up, you're getting that much closer to getting a ligament injury?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Technique.

Yes. So does anything repetitive over time.

User Info Menu

YA! thats why buddy rich,gene krupa,dave tough,louie bellson couldn't play a lick!!!please.

User Info Menu

I am not a doctor but I would think that proper technique is the best defense against injury. Well thats my story and I am sticking to it.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Some tension will occur when play fast and furious and is best to back off after doing so. Always play with as relaxed hand grip as you can without dropping sticks and losing control. Suggest that you research Moeller Stroke Technique...you can play extremely fast without the risk of harm and injury.

User Info Menu

Yes. Proper stick technique and fluidity of motion. Relaxed grip and economy of motion, all this comes with time and practice. I've been playing 42 years, I'm 56, and I don't have the least bit of trouble with Mitch Mitchell's rolls, or Bonham's slam, or Cobham's speed.

If you watch these guys play, you notice there's very little tense rigorous strain. It looks deceivingly simple, but it's really stress-free playing, with relaxed grips, both traditional and matched.

The Moeller technique is a very good one. Jim Chapin has several good vids on Utube demonstrating Moeller. Joe Morello has some great practice vids too.

The main thing is practice slow, take your time and don't get discouraged. That's why it's called practice. Hey! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sz1oUO...eature=related
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-01-2008 at 12:03 PM.