Thread: a common problem

User Info Menu

Default a common problem

I have a problem that i believe is extremely common, i have been drumming for 6 years now with a lot of passion, i can mimmick guys like mike portnoy and travis barker, i can perfectly execute countless polyrhythms, the 26 great rudiments,all uncommon time signatures , heel/toe technique and groove and keep time very well, my huge downfall is i cannot read and i know it is the difference between proffessionalism and nothing (in my eyes). i cant afford drumming lessons, please give me some advice, i want the fluency of derrek roddy and bobby jarzombek

User Info Menu

I've already pissed you off so you probably won't listen to me. But here's my advice:

I've been playing for 30 years professionally and I taught for 15 of those years. Your biggest downfall is not your lack of reading skills, it is your ego. The best thing you can do for yourself is learn humility. "Countless polyrhythms" will not get you gigs. Humility will.

To answer your post more directly: It appears you have the will to soar. Congratulations on tackling some of the hardest things first (polyrhythms, odd times, etc.). That's a great accomplishment. I believe you CAN afford drumming lessons. Find a way. Make it happen. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to pay for it. Take an extra job, barter with one of your skills, ...whatever it takes.
    You may be able to teach yourself but I think reading is one of those things that's best to learn with a qualified teacher. You're right; it is extremely important to know how to read to reach that next level. It's a very competitive industry and you can't afford to be second best.

User Info Menu

thanks tom - you must understand that in drumming, there are tons of guys who want to tell you what to do and how they know better when they often dont merely to boost their own ego so you can see my frustration where a request for advice is answered with answers that 'charge' for the favours with a small insult or two, my mention of my drumming abilities was to show the ground i have covered and then on to the problem at hand. i dont like showing off, i know i'm not the best and i am willing to learn, i am 20 years old and drumming is my passion, that doesnt imply i have an ego, you have 30 years behind you and with that, it is very easy to read things at face value and crit other drummers without paying closer attention for their real request and you i guess you have a right to but to get somethings straight - i appreciate the appropriation of style and techicality to given musical styles as well as listening to what the band wants from you, its still not a crime to want to see drummers exhibit their abilities, i am proud of what i do but my ego couldnt blind me or else why would i be asking for advice, my posts dont condemn anything and try to remain objective - thank you for your objective contribution and insights

User Info Menu

They're not insults. It's simply straight talk. If you're going to come in here talking about stuff that you know nothing about, you've got to expect criticism. I addressed it here --> http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?p=7864#post7864

User Info Menu

just so i jump in this thing...

prog...in my time at the forums ive never had anyone elses views pushed on me and ive never seen it happen to anyone else...we have people like drummer who have been playing for 30 years and people like me who've only been druming for 2.and everyone treats everyone else fairly im freinds with most of them or at least i count them among my friends from people who have been playing 15 time longer then me to people who just started

i think your reading drummers posts wrong...cause when i first read his posts i see nothing wrong with them...but if i read them as in im expecting to be critizied ( spelling i know! ) then i can see your point of view, yea drummer is stateing his opinion but its HIS opinon it means nothing to you and it has no effect what so ever on you or your choices its just how he would handle the situation ya know?
    why ask a question that includes "please give me some ADVICE" if you dont want to hear what other people have to say?

and BTW drummer, if i could do polyrythms you can bet i would brag about it too...

oh and yea to anwser your question you dont NEED lessons to figure out how to read music check out www.drumbum.com and serch their lessons database they have some great stuff that'll point you on your way to reading music...or you could hit-up your mom for video lessons for christmas like i did ^^
    Last edited by Chiko; 11-01-2006 at 05:30 PM.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

If you read through the ballance of drummer's posts you'll see that he rarely, if ever, comes off as harsh or critical. Not that he needs an endorsement from the likes of me. He's the real deal, after all. I took it that he is really passionate in his viewpoint and has little patience for younger guys having a bit of a pitty party. I feel rank & file players do themselves a big favor when they listen and take to heart what guys like drummer have to say. As an experienced professional, drummer he should be given great latitude to tell it like it is. If it hurts a bit maybe it's because he's hitting pretty close to home.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 11-01-2006 at 06:24 PM.