Thread: Which books/DVDs/websites?

User Info Menu

Default Which books/DVDs/websites?

Hello everyone, I've played drums for about half year~
    I'd like to find some books/DVDs/websites for my self-learning
    Are there any recommendations? Thx

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which books/DVDs/websites?

Thomas Lang! He has a 3 dvd package that will really blow you away. Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials is a Great one. Welcome to DrumChat!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xxkkkkxx View Post
    Hello everyone, I've played drums for about half year~
    I'd like to find some books/DVDs/websites for my self-learning
    Are there any recommendations? Thx
    Hi xxKKKxx,
    The owners of this website (Drum Bum) have a tremendous amount of resources available at several websites including books, dvds, and tons of free drum lesson material. I'm sure they would appreciate you supporting this site by patronizing those places:

drum books

drum dvds

drum playalongs

free drum lessons

drum tips

drum rudiments

Welcome to Drum Chat and let us know if we can answer any questions for you.
    Last edited by drummer; 08-03-2008 at 12:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I am in HK,,,can I know whether the bks can be shipped to HK?
    And which bk is good?There're too many

User Info Menu

You'll have to ask Drum Bum about where they ship. As far as good books/dvds, BLD already mentioned one of the better ones for beginners to intermediate... Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials. This is real popular with many drummers and recommended by teachers. The rest of them... well it really depends on your needs. You haven't told us too much about where you are. Read the descriptions for each and decide what's best. Here's an index I found that separates by style. http://www.drummerdvds.com/drum-dvds-index.htm

Hope this helps!

Coolest Drum Website

User Info Menu

I recommend all the DVD`s released by Steve Gadd. The most influential drummer since Buddy.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Out of all the resources I've ever seen, New Breed by Gary Chester is the most challenging instructional book. I've been working on it for the past few months, and it gets so nerve wrecking. However, it does improve on lots of things, like reading, endurance, and independence.

So for books, I recommend you purchase New Breed, Stick Control, and Tommy Igoe's groove essentials. Rick Latham also wrote some pretty fantastic stuff.

Oh, and if you want to boost your creativity, get the 'Turn it Up and Lay it Down' audio cds. They're fun.
    Last edited by DantheMan; 08-07-2008 at 09:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow~Thx all of you~
    Are there any more suggestions?

User Info Menu

Well I learn a lot from Gregg Bissonette....
    The best all-around drummer in my opinion....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

tommy igoes looks good to me thats what im going for next ..

others i've found helpfull:

Gregg Bissonette - musical drumming in different styles

steve smith - technique../ history of the US beat

John Blackwell - grooves and showanship (or something like that)

PS. if you learn to read music (it's really not that hard).. you can pick up magazines which will have loads of exercises songs/charts etc which will give you alot more!
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xxkkkkxx View Post
    Wow~Thx all of you~
    Are there any more suggestions?

************************************************** *******************************

You say that you've been playing for only 1/2 a year and are wanting to self-teach. What have you learned in so short a time that makes you feel that you can do this? Did you have a Teacher and, if so, why not now? All of the recommendations you've received for books and DVD's are terrific but, they all require basic instruction. It's likely that you can teach yourself somethings but it is so much better to have the proper instruction and guidance from a good teacher to help you along the way. Please, do not mistake my remarks as being negative as they are meant to encourage you to learn the instrument and become the best that you can be. Welcome to the Forum and keep us posted on your progress.