Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Improving speed on single stroke rolls*

User Info Menu

Exclamation *Improving speed on single stroke rolls*

Hi everyone,
    Would your single stroke roll speed increase if you don't tension up. I know that tensioning up is bad but I don't feel like I improve without tension.

User Info Menu

Default Re: *Improving speed on single stroke rolls*

Nik, I try not to tense up. If I feel my self tensing up and start losing the smoothness, I slow it down a touch. A little fatigue in the muscles is part of strengthening and breaking through to the next level just like gym work. You will find that you will play your best and most fluid when you are relaxed and not tense and your speed should still improve without tensioning up too often.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Nik, the more you practice, the more your muscles will develop. That is the key to faster speeds. Work at the speed where your sticking is smooth, and then push yourself a little as part of your practice. Try not to push so far that you lose the smoothness, though. Over time, you will find that the speed will just come.

As to the tension, try to avoid it. The stick will get more bounce, and that is another secret to increased speed. Eventually, you will learn to control the bounce of the stick, and that will be another key. If that seems like a lot to learn, don't worry. Just remember that drumming is not a destination, it's a journey for a lifetime.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Try practicing ur rudiments on a pillow or your floor tom with a metronome

User Info Menu

When i do 32nd note single stroke rolls i tense up really badly aswell =\
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

Metronone brother

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jjc44 View Post
    Try practicing ur rudiments on a pillow or your floor tom with a metronome
    Not a good idea, mate.

User Info Menu

No, good idea. Because it's harder to get rebound off a pillow, so you focus on the power behind the stroke. When you do it on the drums, you apply less power per stroke than on a pillow, so you have the ability to play at the same power but with more response, meaning you play faster.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

ETF has the right idea. Practicing rudiments on a pillow is definitely a strength and speed builder. I use a small "Memory - Foam" pillow for this purpose. It helps!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Nik, I try not to tense up. If I feel my self tensing up and start losing the smoothness, I slow it down a touch. A little fatigue in the muscles is part of strengthening and breaking through to the next level just like gym work. You will find that you will play your best and most fluid when you are relaxed and not tense and your speed should still improve without tensioning up too often.
    bingo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Because it's harder to get rebound off a pillow
    A pillow has no rebound. All drums have rebound. Therefore, drumming on a pillow has nothing to do with playing drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo mk:II View Post
    A pillow has no rebound. All drums have rebound. Therefore, drumming on a pillow has nothing to do with playing drums.
    ooooh, i think this last post will stir some emotions, have you tried it yourself vinny? If not give it a whirl, it most certainly has a lot to do with drumming and help with tecnique.

User Info Menu

For me it goes a long way to building strength and hence speed eventually....

User Info Menu

ethel is correct, if a pillow has no rebound, it makes it harder on you to get rebound. in return you will strengthen those rear finger muscles so when you do have rebound, it will seem easy.

its not rocket science, its common sense...why do you think a batter in baseball uses a weight around his bat during warm-up?? so when he uses a regular bat, its seems lighter!! shouldent no rebound at all be the difficulty level that you need??

its all about the rear fingers bro...you know, your pinky and your ring finger... if you can stregthen those...you should be able to improve those rolls a bit, a pillow is the best thing, because just like vinny said....*pillows have no rebound*.

User Info Menu

Shark attacks are at their highest during summer. Ice cream sales are also at their highest during summer. Therefore, shark attacks are directly related to ice cream sales.

There's a slight flaw in this kind of logic.

User Info Menu

Allow me to end this quandry... I am a self proclaimed junkie for rebounds... Hence i know this for sure that Vinnysimmo mk:II, you need to listen to everyone here when they say pillow= very good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Shark attacks are at their highest during summer. Ice cream sales are also at their highest during summer. Therefore, shark attacks are directly related to ice cream sales.

There's a slight flaw in this kind of logic.
    yes , but only when you are eating it in the ocean.

User Info Menu

Tutti Frutti, please...three scoops! It's for "Jaws".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Tutti Frutti, please...three scoops! It's for "Jaws".
    hehehehe

User Info Menu

Pillow =

I am positive that practicing any rudiment on a pillow every night for the first two years improved my strength dramatically. My best mates at night were pillow, metronome and sticks!
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Let me clarify. I agree with you all that pillow is a great strenth/power/endurance.
    I do, however, thank that the pad is far more beneficial for improveing you sprint/burst type of speed.

User Info Menu

Thx for the clarification vinny, I think the pillow and the pad both contribute to overall speed though, you cant develop any speed if you have weak wrists for example. hence the pillow really has a lot to do with drumming equally as the pad. all the best.

User Info Menu

Question Re: *Improving speed on single stroke rolls*

Pillow =

I am positive that practicing any rudiment on a pillow every night for the first two years improved my strength dramatically. My best mates at night were pillow, metronome and sticks!

Uh, is the Mrs. aware of that?

User Info Menu

Good point anyway. I use the pad to learn techniques that rely on rebound, like push and pull, but still use something like the pillow to build technique and stamina.

User Info Menu

Pillow =

HOLA como estas LIVEWIRE MI AMIGO CRETIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THIS is A FUNNY POST * GRACIAS