Thread: hershel smith and the country 4

User Info Menu

Default hershel smith and the country 4

there i said it. the band sucks and i hat cuntry music but i get to play so i don mind

User Info Menu

that's the spirit....

User Info Menu

"hershel smith and the country 4" ????!!!!!
    dude I'm sorry
    max

User Info Menu

Me too. I think I rather be in my friend's band, "The Swinging Nutsacks".

User Info Menu

.....that's hillarious.....the swinging nutsacks!!?? that cracks me up...r they any good?

User Info Menu

I've never heard them but I knew a couple of the players and they're good. I used to teach the drummer. When he told me the name I LMAO. I was concerned about them not being able to get certain gigs because of the name. He told me that for the more "respectful" gigs, they would use a different name.

User Info Menu

Takes alot of skill to make a country song feel right, dont knock it, make it a learning challenge. I have played in Sabbath, Scorpions, David Bowie, ZZ Top tribute bands as well as R&B, polka, classic rock, and country. All have aspects which take talent and different technique and feel. I play top 40 country now and I love it. Did some of my best learning, experimenting in a god awful country band.

ThePloughman Guest

When you can swing a country beat that creates a flow that just makes people move, or play an entire set in a small room with only Brushes and a snare drum. ........ and then have people compliment the drummer instead of the guitarists.... you will know how much more skill than just playing is involved.

User Info Menu

wow this is a cool site, I can admit to having played country gigs and still get respect [lmao]. btw If you dont have swing and dynamics you won't land too many recalls on the country circuit. For most drummers a country gig is not the first choice cos there is not much room for flashy stuff. But I recommend trying a gig with seasoned country players to all drummers, My first lesson I got from a hot pickin country guitar player was and I quote "keep it simple.....stupid". I also got a drumming lesson from the bass player on how to play a proper country half time and a train beat.and country shuffle!!
    and yes I got a recall.
    .....Live and learn .peeps.

User Info Menu

Yes Ploughman ratymecue, I myself come from the country tradition, and it has a feel all of it's own. I like it because it has much soul, something very lacking in metal music.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cool hershel smith and the country 4

Alien, don't ever turn down a learning opportunity! The first group I played with on even a semi-regular basis was a country-rock band who invited me to sit in with them on percussion while they were entertaining a group of special needs people.

By the middle of the first set, the drummer (son of the guitarist/frontman) was rockin' behind his kit as we jammed. Admittedly it wasn't your father's country band--and I also learned what not to do on country fills on a set!--but it was and still is one of my favorite drumming experiences as I watched the guests dancing and enjoying themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hey, man, tell your buddy he should nickname his frontman "Squirrel"! "Squirrel and the Swinging Nutsacks..." yeah, bro', that's got a ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Takes alot of skill to make a country song feel right, dont knock it, make it a learning challenge. I have played in Sabbath, Scorpions, David Bowie, ZZ Top tribute bands as well as R&B, polka, classic rock, and country. All have aspects which take talent and different technique and feel. I play top 40 country now and I love it. Did some of my best learning, experimenting in a god awful country band.
    My kinda experiences too, sig...and dude, I wouldn't trade them for anything. In fact, for all its flash and crossover appeal, country is still the most stripped-down form of modern music. You HAVE to know your timing, dynamics, and feel to make it work and to make it swing...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    i swear when i first joined, you threatened to ban me for less than nutsack you nazi

having said that, my only country gig sucked. i studied hard and played well, but the band just plain sucked. i will say like everyone else, it is a good learning experience. if you have any asperations of making a career in drumming, you have to be good in all styles. besides most country these days is pretty far from traditional. most pop country uses all the same techniques and theories you would find in classic rock and blues.

but ...if you play the honkytonk budunkadunk for any amount of money, i will lose all respect and possibly reach thru this computer and smack some since into you. jk.

User Info Menu

Cool

I Traveled All Over The World Playin Country....Keep It Simple, Look For The Space...Much More Difficult Than It Appears...
    Fantastic Opportunity To Stretch My Vocal Chops
    There Is Taste In The Space Most Will Never Know!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool hershel smith and the country 4

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    ...but..if you play the honkytonk budunkadunk for any amount of money, i will lose all respect and possibly reach thru this computer and smack some since into you. jk.
    Start reachin', funkster! Have you ever tried playin' congas to "Kaw-Liga"? (other than the tom-toms at the breaks, it didn't work too well!)

But you're right on one thing, man...modern country (not the honky-tonk badunkadunk!) is about as country as a crossover SUV is a station wagon... Hey, bro', I'd be as home behind the congas in a country crossover band as I would be in a rock band or a Santana tribute band...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

This thread is two years old

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i swear when i first joined, you threatened to ban me for less than nutsack you nazi

having said that, my only country gig sucked. i studied hard and played well, but the band just plain sucked. i will say like everyone else, it is a good learning experience. if you have any asperations of making a career in drumming, you have to be good in all styles. besides most country these days is pretty far from traditional. most pop country uses all the same techniques and theories you would find in classic rock and blues.

but ...if you play the honkytonk budunkadunk for any amount of money, i will lose all respect and possibly reach thru this computer and smack some since into you. jk.
    crack up!! make sure you aim for the swinging nutsack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    lmao
    I just joined this forum so it is a brand new thread to me.

User Info Menu

i didnt even notice

User Info Menu

thats enough time for the country singer to get his wife And his dog back!!

User Info Menu

may the next victim of rapper violence be against the dude from big and rich!!!!!!!!!!!

this should become the unoffical official country bashing thread.

just dont talk no smack on willie nelson.