Thread: Roland TD-9SX or Yam. Express IV Special

User Info Menu

Default Roland TD-9SX or Yam. Express IV Special

First of all I like the TD12-SV the best, but too far out of price range so I'm between the TD-9SX and Yam IV S. I've been GC and Sam Ash a few times now playing with the Yam and Roland. I like the feel of the mesh heads on the TD-9SX but like the cymbals better on the Yamaha. I can get the roland for $2150 and the yamaha for $1450, the money makes me lean towards the Yamaha but what about reliability and upgrades? Any thoughts out there? I have a set of Gretsch Renown but can't practice in the house with it. The plan is if the electronic set turns out "good" enough I will probably sell the acoustic set off.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland TD-9SX or Yam. Express IV Special

I play on a Yamaha Explorer DTS III at my church. What is missing is a second floor tom equivalent. I think the Extreme IV Special has that fourth tom. We do an electronic kit as we can control and mix with other instruments and vocals. There are plenty of voices in the kit I use and you will find after playing around with different settings that you will be playing only two or three basic settings for most music. The only negative I have on my kit is that I get ghost or artifact hits during fast tempos or rolls. But it's random so it's tolerable. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Just a word of caution on the IV special....there is no extra output for the extra cymbal that they give you!!! You will need to use a splitter and use up 2 of the extra Aux inputs in order to take advantage of the cymbals dual zone capabilities. If you go with the Yamaha, make sure you point this out to the person who is selling it to you, because I willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that HE doesn't know about this either!

User Info Menu

Let me say this is what I have come to see from owning several e kits . I just played the TD 9 and did not like it at all. I have played all but the new very expensive yamaha kits and did not like them at all. I bought a new TD-12 sold it toms too small . Now what I do like is the TD-10 it is an afordable TD-20 they can be bought for under $2000. Also Hart 6.4 pro kit is very nice used with a Roland module can be bought for under $2000. And then what I ended up diong is keeping the cymbals,cables and module from my TD-10 kit sold the pads and rack then converted my mapex acoustic kit to electric and I think it is by far the best e kit to have !!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post

what is the acoustic [volume] level of the converted kit 2 slow? and what skins/heads do u have on them?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Actually, which one is better? TD9 or Yam. DTXpress IV special?
    there is a ride for the Yam,,,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xxkkkkxx View Post
    Actually, which one is better? TD9 or Yam. DTXpress IV special?
    there is a ride for the Yam,,,
    I went with the yams I liked to sounds more and the price.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

The sound of the Yam. is better than that of roland's?
    sb told me roland's is better...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xxkkkkxx View Post
    The sound of the Yam. is better than that of roland's?
    sb told me roland's is better...
    I compared them side by side on the with the same amp and I preffered the yams, seemed warmer somehow?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I see~Seems Yam is better as it has 3 cyms

User Info Menu

I see~Seems Yam is better as it has 3 cyms and a lower price

User Info Menu

i've been working at guitar center for about 2 months now and i reaallllllllllyyyyyyy reccommend the rolands. its been slow the last week or so, i'll i really do is sit and play the electronic kits. after so long, the rubber pads just seem awful. mesh is seriously the way to go. i'll find that after playing on the 9 if i go try to play an express or a simmons i simply can't take it and i have to go back to an all mesh kit. the yams do sound better out of the box, but the rolands sound much better if you take your time to tweak the kits, or use packs from Vexpressions. hope i could help a little

User Info Menu

I just ordered the Yamaha DTXpress IV V2 kit. I haven't picked up a drum stick in over thirty years. The plan is begin slow and get myself up to speed in a year or so where I can play in the church band. Not a real glamorous goal, but I can't wait to get started. Should be fun.
    Yamaha DTXpress IV V2