Thread: Looking for some new gear

User Info Menu

Default Looking for some new gear

Hi everyone,
    New here, but I would like some input. I've been playing for awhile. I have an array of different brands and levels of cymbals. I'm looking to upgrade my hats and ride. They are sabian B8 right now. I'm looking to get a step below pro level gear. I have an A splash and crash, an Alpha crash, A wuhan china along with the B8 hats, ride, and crash. I don't want too washy of a ride and it needs to have a great bell. I love playing alot of opening/closing on the hats. Obviously I'm not stuck on any one brand. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for some new gear

I use the Zildjian 13" K / Z combination hit hats, with the Z on top. They're the same ones Carter Beauford uses (DMB), and they give great, crisp stick definition to your hat playing.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

As far as rides go my opinion is you will just need to go play as many as you can until you find one that you like. Rides a finicky animals, it seems that rides even in the same family of cymbals all seem to sound different. So it is important to shop around and play as many as you can until you find the one you want to live with a play all the time.

high hats are subjective as well, I would say for a good set of well rounded musical hats that fit most genre's of music I would look into the Zildjian A new beats. Start there and go from there in the different lines until you find a set that meets your ear.

User Info Menu

Cymbals, like drum heads, can make or break a drum set. What is favored by one drummer is frowned upon by another. Would suggest that you "Google" the cymbal manufacture's and learn about their process. Cymbals that are made by Casting are of much better quality. Lesser expensive cymbals are made by Stamping them, such as the B8's. If you can't get to any dealers to try any of their stock, you can listen to a wide variety of cymbals online at places like cymbals only . com

Prior to all this, however, you should decide on what it is you want from your cymbals. Know what music you will be playing most times and gear your search for cymbals accordingly. One good way of doing this is to listen to those drummers you most admire. The more you do, the more you will be able to focus on the "Sound" you want from your cymbals. Yes, it would be so much easier if all you needed to do is go to a store and simply buy. But, you wouldn't have near as much fun. Oh, just my opinion, you understand...stay away from those Cymbal Packs...they usually package what you wouldn't necessarily purchase. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Looking for some new gear

As Usual....Brother Frank Is Right On Da Money,,,,Again....Let Your Ears Be Yer Guide
    Yer Buyin Da Stuff; You Should Be Happy Wif It
    "Beauty Is In Da Ears Of Da Beholder"
    "There I've Said It Again"(Bobby Vinton)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Although I'm a newb to this site, I'm very informed with the process. I'm looking at what you guys like and why. I agree that the cymbals make the set as well as the heads. Keep all the suggestions coming and I hope didn't sound too bad.
    I've gone to a few stores around to listen to cymbals, but it is almost impossible to listen in a busy store. I do have one store that has a small room to isolate for listening, but it doesn't lend well to good acoustics. Thanks for all of the help!