Thread: Zildjian A line

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian A line

A while back, I got really curious about these plain ol' zildjian As, especially the crashes, because I was looking for a nice 18"er.

However, after doing a lot of research and ear testing at shops, they sounded absolutely awful to me. What confused me about this was that they sounded so good on those old rock albums. I got some footage of Colaiuta using them in the 80s, and I could hear them shimmer, nice bright and clean.

Is it just my inexperienced perception, or has Zildjian changed their A formula to sound more "modern"...AKA really bad.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian A line

I don't think so, cymbals and sounds are so subjective. What do they sound bad in comparison to? The A's that I have heard sound real nice to me. Granted there is the occasional clinker in every line, but for the most part I have heard some really exceptional sounding cymbals in that line.

User Info Menu

A's is my favourite Zildjian serie... totally classic cymbals
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

b2d is right cymbals are so subjective this is always a hard subject, there are so many variables that change how we percieve the sound of any drum or cymbal. i have heard high end cymbals sound like garbage to me and i have also heard lesser quality/cheap-o cymbals sound great. the A zildjians are known to produce and please many but maybe they are not for you.

User Info Menu

Sometimes when you hear a cymbal you hear the acoustics of the area too. Sometimes they don't always lend themselves to good sound. Case in point; I bought a Paiste 18" thin Alpha crash. It sounded good at the store, but when I got home it didn't. I set it up on my mic'ed set and played around with it for a little while all while recording. When I went back to listen it blew me away with how good it sounded on tape. Plus studios can change sounds to get the best out of them.

User Info Menu

i always have to throw this out there but go with the A customs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DantheMan View Post
    A while back, I got really curious about these plain ol' zildjian As, especially the crashes, because I was looking for a nice 18"er.

However, after doing a lot of research and ear testing at shops, they sounded absolutely awful to me. What confused me about this was that they sounded so good on those old rock albums. I got some footage of Colaiuta using them in the 80s, and I could hear them shimmer, nice bright and clean.

Is it just my inexperienced perception, or has Zildjian changed their A formula to sound more "modern"...AKA really bad.
    I heard they make them a little thicker now than they did back in the day for durabilty. A medium thin crash was a little thinner than a medium thin crash made today, probably not much. Can't say for sure if that has anything to do with the sound, the formula is still the same. I have newer New Beat hi hats which I love and sound great but a friend of mine has some vintage ones from the 70's that seem a little thinner and sound awesome. Also, new cymbals go through a break in period and always improve with age.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Zildjian A line

Buy One Of Everthing
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

one thing to remember,what you hear standing in the store isn`t what you`re gonna hear on a record from the 80`s. If you stood in front of the old geezer`s kit with the A cymbals, you might hear something similar to what you`re hearing if you put A cymbals on your kit.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Who're you callin' an "Old Geezer?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Who're you callin' an "Old Geezer?"

.............some of us resemble that remark

I like the A custom crash cymbals

User Info Menu

Give a listen to the Zildjian A Armand line, they are thinner and are supposed to sound like the Zildjians from the 60's and 70's. I use them and they sound great! Check them out at Zildjians site or better yet, if a local store carries them, go listen to them for yourself. It may be the sound you are looking for, they are thinner and have a lower profile than the current A line up.
    Mapex Pro M Classic Plus
    Zildjian Armand Cymbals
    In the service of The King!

User Info Menu

A Mastersound hats is the best cymbals in my opinion....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

The Zildjian A series has always been and in my opinion still is the industry standard for pro level cymbals.

I own a bunch of A s, nothing newer then 1990. most are late 70s early 80s. I even have a 22" ride from the 60s. I love them all. The thing to remember is they are not all the same. You can play 5 of the same size and they will all sound a little different. You need to play as many as you can until you find what you are looking for.

When I am looking for a new cymbal I figure out where I am going to place it on my kit. I then take whatever cymbals are next to it with me to the store. I set them up then try different cymbals with them. I have found for me this is the best way to be sure that way I am getting will work for me.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

My 1960's A crash sounds A LOT better than my modern A series crash. They are both 'medium' but the 1960's one is the thinest crash I have, you can bend it around with your hands easily.

User Info Menu

Alright, so the weight has certainly changed, but what about this "formula?"

I'd say that the only way to prove that weight is the only change throughout generations is to compare their thinnest modern A model, which is the fast crash, to one of their medium thin or medium models from the 60s or 70s.
    Course, this would be difficult, considering that each cymbal has it's own weight/sound to it.

Interesting, no?

User Info Menu

i like my As. i have a 16" med thin crash and 2 vintage 70s 18" med thins that dont sound anything alike. also an 18" med crash that is as loud as any z custom ive ever heard but cleaner. also 14" quickbeats and a vintage 60s 20" med thin ride with patina for days. when i think "classic rock" cymbal sound i thin As or paiste 2002s.

User Info Menu

All of your cast cymbals of the same make and model will sound a little different. I use the A's myself and the 2 16" med-thins I use sound quite different from each other.

Keep looking! You can't go wrong with the A's...

The servant of the song is the master.