Thread: Cymbal confusion

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal confusion

I guess this would be considered my first post.....since it has been years since I bought cymbals, now that I'm lurking, its as confusing as hell. heck every company has so many different models, weights, designs, its so confusing. I play vintage A zildian (60's) a 20" and 18" ride crash..I did just pick up a 20" 50's A z ride a little heavier than my 20" and it blends in great. now that I;m looking for mid range crash (14-16ish) I see on e bay some gong from $10.00 to $200???? how are you suppose to know what works?> I guess the weight is key. G

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal confusion

The less expensive cymbals are usually sheet bronze and they generally do not sound all that good. when you get into the cast lines Zildjian A's, A customs, K's, K customs, Constantinople's, etc. Those lines within the Zildjian name that you will find your nicer sounding cymbals. the same goes for Pieste and Sabian just look at their cast lines and you will be good to go. A 14" cast crash should run anywhere form $150.00 range to say $300 depending on what company and the line chosen.

User Info Menu

Oh, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Stop lurking a post away my friend!

User Info Menu

i play zildjian A customs and they sound awesome. you can definitely find a fair price for one on ebay

User Info Menu

Zildjian's Armand line would probably be closest to the vintage cymbals you already have. There are a lot of great crashes in the $150-$300 range by Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian (those are the only ones I've played). So just start banging away at your local shop to find out what you want. Definitely stay with the cast cymbals, though...
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Slingerland! Glad you've gone from lurking to posting status!

Since you are unfamiliar with the current crop of cymbals, I would recommend that you spend some time at a local music store listening to their cymbals. I also recommend that you take at least one of your cymbals with you, so you can make sure the cymbal that you like will fit in with the sound you already have. Also, make sure to have a salesperson play the cymbal while you stand back and listen, because the cymbal will sound different from a distance. Have fun with it, and you'll get tons of respect from the people at the music store.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland View Post
    I guess this would be considered my first post.....since it has been years since I bought cymbals, now that I'm lurking, its as confusing as hell. heck every company has so many different models, weights, designs, its so confusing. I play vintage A zildian (60's) a 20" and 18" ride crash..I did just pick up a 20" 50's A z ride a little heavier than my 20" and it blends in great. now that I;m looking for mid range crash (14-16ish) I see on e bay some gong from $10.00 to $200???? how are you suppose to know what works?> I guess the weight is key. G

It can be a quandry, no doubt. Somewhere along the line, you just have to make a value judgement about which cymbal to select. Like you, I too have an early 1960's Avedjis Zildjian 20" ride and 18" crash. Over the years, I learned what it is that I wanted from my next cymbal...a bit darker with cleaner stick articulation. My search led me to Istanbul AGOP Mel Lewis sig Big Band ride 21". I liked it so much, I then bought the same in 14" hats. I then wanted a secondary crash to go along with the 18" Zildjian. I leaned more towards the K lineup and found a K Zildjian 16" Dark Med. Thin crash on ebay for $125. The Istanbul AGOP lineup has an 18" crash/ride but I didn't want that as I already have the K constantinople 20" light ride. What I learned is not to fear mixing up your cymbals...just trust your "Ear" as well as your instincts.

BTW...welcome to the Forum!!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=pastor_bob;104053]...make sure to have a salesperson play the cymbal while you stand back and listen, because the cymbal will sound different from a distance. QUOTE]

That's great advice...I always like to have some else play the gear before I make a decision about it. This is especially true with cymbals. To me, the Stewart Copeland ride I'm playing right now sounds much better out in the audience (where it matters) than it does behind the kit (still sounds good to me, though). With crashes, you can also hear it open up and decay better from a distance.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Since you are unfamiliar with the current crop of cymbals, I would recommend that you spend some time at a local music store listening to their cymbals. I also recommend that you take at least one of your cymbals with you, so you can make sure the cymbal that you like will fit in with the sound you already have.
    I second pasterbobs advice, go and try some out, that way you can really see what you like. Also look at the prices in a music shop, places like ebay have loads of different sellers so good cymbals could be cheaper than bad cymbals (basically the price isnt a good judge of the quality of cymbals online) In a music shop you can see the retail prices relative to each other which will give a better idea as to where the quality lies.