Thread: Drums in the garage?

User Info Menu

Default Drums in the garage?

I have my drums in a 2 car garage. Will the shells or the cymbals be affected t all?

I always heard its best to keep them in a climate controlled room. Is this true?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums in the garage?

I believe it to be true . There are several members that Ive seen have their drums in the garage or basement .

The difference in temperature from the heat to cold will affect the wood shells and corrode any metal surface . It just depends on how long you plan on keeping them there .

I think temporarily is not a problem , but after any length of time and you will notice a change for the bad , unless the temp is regulated . Good luck .

User Info Menu

A lot depends on where you live Lancer, but overall, GF is right on the mark. Garages tend to be more damp in the rainy weather, which will allow the hardware to rust. If the temperatures where you live tend to be more extreme, that would be bad for the kit in general.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks so much guys I will be moving them inside this evening!

User Info Menu

i left my drums in a friends gargage for atleast a month, and they are fine, just get dusty twice as fast, and maybe a little corrosion, but not going to rust your stuff to a pile of dust!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

To be honest I think its real risky to keep your drums in a garage, especially if they are top grade!
    Last edited by Dustin; 08-07-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: spelling!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    To be hinest I think its real risky to keep your drums in a garage, especially if they are top grade!
    i cannot agree more, but mine arent so i didnt really have any worries, and as long as there played daily, you will notice if anything happens to them

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

It's not just the moisture that's an issue. It's the rapid swings from moist/wet to hot/dry that really puts a whack on any wood product.

User Info Menu

Drastic changes in temerature and humidity is very bad for wood instruments (or furniture for that matter). You can get delamination, and cracks from the expanding and contracting of the wood that temp and humidity changes will produce. A garage unless you live in a temperate climate probably isn't the best place to keep a drumset.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Drastic changes in temerature and humidity is very bad for wood instruments (or furniture for that matter). You can get delamination, and cracks from the expanding and contracting of the wood that temp and humidity changes will produce. A garage unless you live in a temperate climate probably isn't the best place to keep a drumset.
    i very much agree with this post, i travel to various elevations an climate changes being as i live in california. this make my drums go out of tune when i travel to a low elevation, so i can vouch that wood is very picky about climate control and humidity changes, as well as elevation changes (which you wouldent have in this case), i would always make sure you have them coverd when not in use and always try to keep the airflow moving inside of them as much as possible. direct sunlight contracts wood, and moisture expands wood- keep this in mind!!

User Info Menu

I play my sons kit in the garage, it is just an inexpensive stencil kit so I don't care what happens to it really. My kit gets used only for gigs so it sits in its bags until gig time. Our climate here is real dry so my sons drums haven't had any ill effects from their time in the garage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Our climate here is real dry so my sons drums haven't had any ill effects from their time in the garage.
    same with us hear. little or no humidity makes it alot easyer to chose ware to put the drums.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drums in the garage?

If I Put My Drums Outside In Az They Could Fry Eggs On Da Chrome Or Da Vistalites Would Melt....so We Always PLAY Somebody Else's Kit Or Take Out Da "el Cheapo"sound Percussion Kit.....no Worries Mon
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Your drums could also get run over by the family car if they are in the garage. Aunt Edna comes home from bingo late one night after tying on couple too many margaritas and BAM! Your Remos are roadkill . . . Errr, did I hit somethin?
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

That is what home owner insurance is for. Just make sure they are scheduled items or you could be out of luck to the tune of $500.00 for everything! Policies are different but check to see what yours would offer should Aunt Edna do such a thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Your drums could also get run over by the family car if they are in the garage. Aunt Edna comes home from bingo late one night after tying on couple too many margaritas and BAM! Your Remos are roadkill . . . Errr, did I hit somethin?
    Hilarious
    ' Up the Irons '