Thread: double bass methods

User Info Menu

Default double bass methods

My dad once said that double bass was gimmicky and i have never agreed with that, we are obviously very different drummers where he prefers using the left foot purely for hi-hat control. I think both are great but i must say that double bass has developed awesome styles and techniques to now be seen as having as many dimensions as all the other pieces on the kit -countless. My taste in drums revolves greatly around dynamics, my taste in prog obviously indicates this as well and i have been going with double bass for about two years now, in this time i began looking at how other drummers use theirs, some preferring control, lesser speed and likewise - as well as making use of both speed and control. what became clear to me in playing double bass is that playing heel down seems to render more control and heel up renders more speed. Now i was a heel down guy until about a year ago where i saw that you can achieve incredible speed and consistency with your heels up, the thing is, i have trouble with my balance, on some days i can achieve great speed but my control is lacking because i'm not used to having less balance with my body resting on my toes. There is a newish band called trivium, their significance regarding drumming is exactly this, there drummer goes for very long periods with extremely fast consistent double bass and it remains tight, if you guys can give me with some advice to improve this i would be very thankful chow!

User Info Menu

prctice like every thing else focus on playing the consistent beat for 5 seconds for one week then move to 10 the next 15 the next week and soforth... im on the 45 second mark before i messup....but ive only been doing db for about 6 months... im a heel up player but im also working on my heel toe playing... i can do it with one foot but im haveing trouble with two
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

thanks man i guess that is the most logical way to do it, i refuse to join a band until i can pretty much play db as long and as consistently as i want, dont wanna be sloppy btw pls can other eaders also contribute if you have any good ideas for this

User Info Menu

I'm about where Chiko is. I can only keep it steady for about 30 seconds or so. Try playing with a metronome. start at a level your comfortable with and you can keep for 30 seconds, then bump it up a notch every week. You will be making "machine gunfire" in no time!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Can any of you guys beat a BPM of 215 on double pedal?
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, if you're having trouble balancing, don't try to lean in or back , slow down and use your ankles,shins and anything below the knee, DON'T USE THE THIGH!! practice single strokes on a couch coshin with a metronome,and bumping up 5 beats every minute or so , also try anke wieghts, give it about a week and you'll be double bassing like nobody's business, then try to formulate a solo. happy drumming

User Info Menu

you'll hit 215 in about a month or so, stay positive

User Info Menu

yeah, what works well is using ankle weights, like Metal forever said. play a slower, but very steady beat, for about a minute straight, with 5 or 10 pounds weights on each ankle, whichever you prefer, and the practice a minute straight about 5 times a day, for three days. then, go up to 1:30 straight, 5 times a day, and keep amping it up until you feel comfterable with your speed or control. this will make your ankles beastly, and youll be kicking ***!
    TAMA//VIC FIRTH//EVANS//ZILDJIAN//SABIAN

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!1!11!!1!

User Info Menu

Well i am not a double basser myself, but I have a little comment on the Band Trivium, which i have just recently started listening to (sweet band). The drummer Travis Smith, i heard from HellsBells that he is a heel down player, not heel up, so maybe he can keep those incredible speeds up because he is playing heel down, its just a thought though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal forever
    you'll hit 215 in about a month or so, stay positive
    215 what?

16th notes, 8th notes ... what do you mean by 215?

User Info Menu

thats pretty wicked fast if he ment 16ths..