Thread: Mixing A and K mastersounds

User Info Menu

Default Mixing A and K mastersounds

Hey All, im 27 and iv just started playing actual drums a few months ago though iv been playing in my head and on my lap since i was 12.
    That was the intro :P
    Now the question... has anyone any experience with mixing hi hats, specifically K and A mastersounds?
    I just got a 14" K Mastersound pair and its a monster. Loud, dark with a heart warming chik. Only problem is there's no defined tic with the stick and the hihat closed, a bit washy actually. Iv played around with the felts which works to a certain extent but no further. I love the hats but im looking for a more defined tic.
    Would using an A top with the K (heavy) bottom get me something close to the defined tic i want or would that create another monster, this time an ugly one?
    **In search of a defined tic

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mixing A and K mastersounds

I haven't tried mixing them myself but the A's are even more washy. The old 80's K series hats are much heavier / more substantial both in composition and sound. Perhaps that would be a route for you to explore.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback there Koopa. I was under the assumption the A's would make the sound a bit brighter...

User Info Menu

They will brighten the sound up a bit but the A custom mastersound hats also have that quality you are describing (not getting a solid chick sound when playing the top of the closed pair). IMHO they have this quality even more than the K mastersounds. The best way to alleviate this is to not press down so hard w/ your foot. Try it!
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

It works... If i keep it light on the hihat i do get a solid sound. Even keeping the felt really light goes some way towards giving that sound. Thank you for the tip, much appreciated....