Thread: Snare Dampning

User Info Menu

Default Snare Dampning

how can i stop all the ringing on the bottom of my snare.
    i have a metal one that doesnt ring but my wood one does big time..
    heard about tape on the bottom...
    any solutions....
    DRUMS RULE.....

jarhead Guest

have you tried the dampeners that you buy. i kinda figured out that the tape isnt the best solution. they sell drum dampeners at music123.com

User Info Menu

it's sorta risky business, but i tried putting some duct tape over my snare wires, and it helped a little. But i dont recomend it, cause it could damage ur snares when u pull it off.
    Tape on the bottom head also works.
    I find it also helps to crank your resonant head as tight as you can, that also makes your snares super sensitive, which is sooooo sweet when your playing soft.

User Info Menu

Yeah, i would agree with tightening the tension on your bottom head.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

crank that bootom skin tight as glass

User Info Menu

Actually, here's something that works.

On your bottom of your snare drum, loosen the 4 lugs on each side of the snare wire.. Not much just a little bit doing this will loose that buzz that you get.. Also you may have your snare wire tightened too much on the knob (on side of snare.. one or two depending on your snare). Just loosen it until the buzz is gone and make sure it still sounds decent .
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

Before I sat down read a lot on how to tune drums, I used a lot of damping on my drums. On my snare I used a some tap on the bottom head and two doughnuts on the top Now I use one 3/8' to 1/4" wide doughnut for the bottom head on the inside and nothing on top. By correctly tuning the drums your can get rid of just about all the problems and issues; ring, buzz, overtone, etc. I really suggest you look around the web for some information on tuning. There is a lot of good stuff out there

Keith

User Info Menu

I had the same problem with my snare and I took it to my drum teacher and he took the top head all the way off, took a paper towel and folded it longways, he glued it folded and put it on top of the rim and then but the head back on and cut off all the excess that was hanging out. I have my snare tuned pretty tight but not to tight and the bottom pretty tight, and I always get compliments on my snare sound when I play at shows. It worked pretty good for me.