Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Band...

seth Guest

Default Starting a Band...

Hiya,

My name (As my username would imply) is Seth. I live in Ohio, and in late February I bought myself a drumset. I'm playing on a 5-piece Apollo Kit that I got from a local music store for about $200, new, with key, throne, hi-hat, crash (Paiste cymbals) and throne. From my understanding it's a basic kit.

Before I got into this I had really no interest in drumming. I always loved Travis Barker, John Bonham, Neil Peart, and other drumming "Gods," but I never had a desire to learn. My friends and I had talked for a few weeks about starting a band, and my buddy got a guitar, so to match his commitment I bought the kit.

We started off with pretty huge aspirations, like I'm sure a lot of people do. Very quickly our bass player fizzled out, when we learned he didn't think he had to practice more than once monthly. But my guitarist (Todd) and I continued to practice, and we're at a touchy point.

We have a new bassist, who has experience playing shows. I'm worried I'm too far ahead of Todd on the learning curve, if you will. He says drums are millions times easier to learn than guitar, but the fact stands- I can play about 7 songs through on my kit, and he can't play 1/2 of a song through on his guitar. I'm not trying to come across as a prodigy, I have worlds of stuff to work on, but I'm worried I'm leaving him behind.

I'm willing to play the easiest things, as long as he can learn them, but he seems more interested in just learning a solo rather than becoming an efficient musician. We're founded in hard rock, punk, and grunge (Quite the trio, I know) and I've exhausted myself trying to find songs he could potentially learn.

So that's the first of requests I have to you guys here: Suggestions for a very simple song on guitar, that fits one of our interests. I consider myself an efficient person, I don't want to wait the rest of my life on him to learn the guitar. If I'm better off finding a new group of people, I have no problem doing so.

Oh, I'm 17 years old.

If this is the wrong place, chastise me freely. I couldn't decide where to put this, but thanks for any help you can offer!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starting a Band...

Hi Seth and welcome to Drum Chat. It sounds like you may need to talk to the bass player and let him know that you want him to learn the songs through so that the band can move forward as a unit. Use a lot of diplomacy as sometimes feelings can get hurt. If he doesn't seem to improve, you may need to just look for another bass player.

User Info Menu

Hi seth,
    My brother recently bought himself a guitar and is slowly learning. He practices easy songs like Smoke on the water and Iron man.

User Info Menu

Welcome Seth! Maybe you should get together and see what songs everyone can play. If everyone likes a song, it is easier to put effort in learning it. I suggest writing a list, each member, about 20-30 songs. Put the list together and have everyone vote on it. Save the list, even the "rejects", you may use them later. So, you have a foundation list. If it starts gelling, pull songs from the "reject" list and add them to the setlist. You will see once you start playing the foundation, everyone will be more eager to learn more, because it will be positive. You will also see what styles and types of music motivates everyone. Try listening to each member's favorite music. You may like it, too. You are at a good age to start a band. If everyone keeps focused and enjoys coming to practice, you will soon become really good.

seth Guest

Yeah,
    we all have songs we like, and we all like generally the same music. I can come up with a list of probably 50 songs that everyone in our band likes, and would enjoy covering. But I just can't get anyone else to learn anything, and it's really frustrating just waiting on the wings hoping they get farther along.

It gets to the point where I lose my own motivation to get better, because I worry that they won't be doing the same. I still practice daily but I used to practice for an hour at least, it's gotten down to about 30 minutes a day now. I just hope that they find motivation in their own ways and start picking up the slack.

User Info Menu

You probably need to focus on learning the drums for the sake of YOU, and not your friends, who probably played Guitar Hero, heard the samples of the crowds cheering, and thought it would be an easy and cool way to get chicks, but then there was real work involved.

Don't let someone else hold you back on something that can give you great joy through the years. There will be plenty of other musicians to work with throughout your life, musicians who want to put in the time and learn the songs, and aren't just wasting your time. Be the one they want to play with because you are GOOD.

In fact, if you are playing drums for any other reason than being absolutely passionate about your instrument, it's time to take up a less expensive and less frustrating hobby.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

First of all, as a guitarist, I can tell you that claiming that drums are easy is a cop out. While drummers don't have to worry about key so much, they have more to say about overall dynamics than anyone else in the band and are almost always the ones responsible for keeping a leash on the tempo. A band without a drummer isn't a band, it's a jam session.

Secondly, if your aim is having your buddies play with you in a band, then you're stuck with your buddies, even if they suck. If you want to be in a good band, then get good yourself and network like a madman with other musicians in your area. There's always a need for a good drummer who has his own gear and can show up on time.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 08-09-2008 at 09:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Hi seth,
    My brother recently bought himself a guitar and is slowly learning. He practices easy songs like Smoke on the water and Iron man.
    yeah those are easily some of the easiest songs to learn on guitar that still sound cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    First of all, as a guitarist, I can tell you that claiming that drums are easy is a cop out. While drummers don't have to worry about key so much, they have more to say about overall dynamics than anyone else in the band and are almost always the ones responsible for keeping a leash on the tempo. A band without a drummer isn't a band, it's a jam session.

Secondly, if your aim is having your buddies play with you in a band, then you're stuck with your buddies, even if they suck. If you want to be in a good band, then get good yourself and network like a madman with other musicians in your area. There's always a need for a good drummer who has his own gear and can show up on time.
    That is SOOOOOO TRUE!!! Great advice, RD!

User Info Menu

SEth, you've gotten some really great advice here. I think you should continue practicing because you love the drums. Play with your friends whenever you can, and as RD said, network with other musicians. Just get to know other musicians in you area by hanging out at music shops, etc. Eventually, you may have a decision coming, but let that develop. You'll know when it's time to decide. In the meantime, your guitarist just might be making things hard on himself in the way he is learning the guitar, and he may have a breakthorough moment coming that will suddenly pull together everything he has learned. If that doesn't happen, you will have made yourself ready to move on, and your guitarist buddy will probably be so frustrated with his own playing that he may just let you, and you can remain friends.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    That is SOOOOOO TRUE!!! Great advice, RD!
    *bows very low*

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Starting a Band...

seth, as you've already discovered, you came to the right place!

And RD, we've razzed each other about many things, but I couldn't have said anything better about the drummer's role than you...and you're our resident axe man!

I recently began playing in a trio with two more-experienced buddies (one a keyboard/guitarist, the other a guitarist who plays bottleneck blues-style), and the one thing I've kept in mind is that, as the newcomer, I have to work to stay with or ahead of their curve...and when things get tough, to maintain a positive attitude. That, man, has helped me become not only a better drummer, but also helped me develop close friendships with my brother musicians!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Starting a Band...

Yeah What Bb Said....You Go Bro (love Bottleneck Blues Myself)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cadesonT14 View Post
    yeah those are easily some of the easiest songs to learn on guitar that still sound cool
    Oh, I meant to say this earlyer, the riff may be pretty easy (although most people try to play it wrong - it's 4th's not 5th's), but unless one can play the whole guitar part, including the lead, then they can't really play the song.

User Info Menu

Who the hell told him drums were easier to learn than guitar?

User Info Menu

Hi Seth , As you can see you are at the correct place for advice, all I will add to the great info you have already received is, If you feel the band is not moving forward or that you are being held back musically speaking, then you must move on , gracefully. Try not to burn a bridge in doing so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Hi Seth , As you can see you are at the correct place for advice, all I will add to the great info you have already received is, If you feel the band is not moving forward or that you are being held back musically speaking, then you must move on , gracefully. Try not to burn a bridge in doing so.

Keep the Posts coming, Rat...you're almost with the Top Dogs!!

User Info Menu

Outstanding point Rat. The graceful exit can be the most difficult to execute, but not burning bridges is worth the effort. I think the old adage is to not burn the bridges on the way up, because you might need them on the way down! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Outstanding point Rat. The graceful exit can be the most difficult to execute, but not burning bridges is worth the effort. I think the old adage is to not burn the bridges on the way up, because you might need them on the way down! LOL
    Think that was the version I heard, anyway's it is not always possible to bow out gracefully, but keeping yourself real and not lowering yourself when the furr starts to fly is the best policy. We presently have to either let the bass player go or Im off onto a new project, so this thread is pretty apt for me at the moment. 2 more gigs this summer then its curtains.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=seth;104368]Hiya,

Keep kickin man. stick with it and try and motivate the axe head. In my time with bands all they want is a solo. Try a bit of Grinspoon or Greenday. it worked for me bro.

User Info Menu

Keep kickin man. stick with it and try and motivate the axe head. In my time with bands all they want is a solo. Try a bit of Grinspoon or Greenday. it worked for me bro.

User Info Menu

A band without a drummer isn't a band, it's a jam session.
    At risk of possible excommunication from DrumChat, I take exception to that statement. I know of a widerange of diverse BANDS without any drummers. And no they're not acoustic acts..

Hi Seth,
    I'm a guitarist/drumber myself and have been in the situation you have been a few times. Although, I can't say any more than the guys have said above.

I will say this. I find, especially with grunge, that bands can get away with extremely sloppy guitarwork so long as the drums are thumping tight. It doesn't work the other way around really.

But heres a thought, (this is also a good way of finding out who in your band is ready to begin a dedicated band)....suggest writing your own material. This way you will all be playing at your own level and probably end up with something truely original. Any who refuses and wants to play that cool riff from "that song" all the time is probably only in it from the aforementioned Guitar Hero factor.

If your man wants to play solos all the time, then consider getting a singing rhythm guitarist...who knows...! I know it may be hard to pull yourselves away from the lure of a three piece (I always wanted our band to be a three piece). Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Muse, Primus, Ash, the BeeGees erm...but in the end you limit yourself by not playing to the bands potential..

Over and Out,

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas Mi amigo ROADDEBRIS CREATIVE ARTISTIC
    DRUMMER /GUITARIST *ARTIST(CAT) LOVE IT EXCELLENT **Mi AMIGO

User Info Menu

Think that was the version I heard, anyway's it is not always possible to bow out gracefully, but keeping yourself real and not lowering yourself when the furr starts to fly is the best policy. We presently have to either let the bass player go or Im off onto a new project, so this thread is pretty apt for me at the moment. 2 more gigs this summer then its curtains.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo RATMYCUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT *AND Mi amigo THATS BEING REAL *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    Hiya,

My name (As my username would imply) is Seth. I live in Ohio, and in late February I bought myself a drumset. I'm playing on a 5-piece Apollo Kit that I got from a local music store for about $200, new, with key, throne, hi-hat, crash (Paiste cymbals) and throne. From my understanding it's a basic kit.

Before I got into this I had really no interest in drumming. I always loved Travis Barker, John Bonham, Neil Peart, and other drumming "Gods," but I never had a desire to learn. My friends and I had talked for a few weeks about starting a band, and my buddy got a guitar, so to match his commitment I bought the kit.

We started off with pretty huge aspirations, like I'm sure a lot of people do. Very quickly our bass player fizzled out, when we learned he didn't think he had to practice more than once monthly. But my guitarist (Todd) and I continued to practice, and we're at a touchy point.

We have a new bassist, who has experience playing shows. I'm worried I'm too far ahead of Todd on the learning curve, if you will. He says drums are millions times easier to learn than guitar, but the fact stands- I can play about 7 songs through on my kit, and he can't play 1/2 of a song through on his guitar. I'm not trying to come across as a prodigy, I have worlds of stuff to work on, but I'm worried I'm leaving him behind.

I'm willing to play the easiest things, as long as he can learn them, but he seems more interested in just learning a solo rather than becoming an efficient musician. We're founded in hard rock, punk, and grunge (Quite the trio, I know) and I've exhausted myself trying to find songs he could potentially learn.

So that's the first of requests I have to you guys here: Suggestions for a very simple song on guitar, that fits one of our interests. I consider myself an efficient person, I don't want to wait the rest of my life on him to learn the guitar. If I'm better off finding a new group of people, I have no problem doing so.

Oh, I'm 17 years old.

If this is the wrong place, chastise me freely. I couldn't decide where to put this, but thanks for any help you can offer!
    First off welcome to DrumChat, trust me this site is a great place to learn, and pick up on alot.

Second what i turned red in the quote, please kit your friend in the shin and spit on his back. Comments like this are said all the time, it is and isnt true. It IS easier to learn how to play a simple rock beat then a simple rock rift. BUT to be honest my 9 year old sister can play a basic beat and that does not make you a tru, skilled, drummer. We have just as much work to do, do not let people tell you otherwise.

Third, im kind of interested in what songs you can play?

fourth, try learning a song like "seven nation army"-the white stripes, it is an awesome song, but it is so easy for both intruments
    -Steven