Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counting Triplets Question

User Info Menu

Default Counting Triplets Question

We all know about counting 4/4 time with 1e+a. I have been working on some triplet exercises and I am wondering how you guys count them? I have been using 1-trip-let 2-trip-let 3-trip-let 4-trip-let method, and that works okay if I don't have rests mixed into the triplet.

For exampe, I have been trying:
    Code:
      3       3
    ------  -----
    X X X  X X X  = 1-trip-let 2-trip-let...
    X   X  X   X  = 1-ah 2-ah ...
        X      X  = 1-ah 2-ah (not playing the 1 or 2, just counting)
      X X    X X  = 1-trip-let (not playing the 1 or 2, just counting)
    How do you count triplets and what do you do when you mix different rest combinations into the different triplets in your piece? Also, the sticking naturally reverses with triplets (rlr lrl...) When playing them with rests, do you try to keep with the sticking that would have been implied if the rests had not been there or do you alternate on the notes actually played?

Code:
    for exampe:
      3       3
    ------  -----
    R L R  L R L  = 1-trip-let 2-trip-let...

R   R  L   L  = 1-ah 2-ah ...
    OR
    R   L  R   L  = 1-ah 2-ah ...
    Thanks!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Counting Triplets Question

Do answer your first question, i was taught to count them as: 1- la- li 2-la-li 3-la-li 4-la-li. And second of all, you should come back in on the correct hand after resting. for example: if the normal triple sticking for four beats is: RLR LRL RLR LRL, then u would leave out the parts during rest, like:
    ... .RL RLR LRL (the "." is a rest). does that help?

User Info Menu

Oh wow, I never heard of la-li!

So, in the case of the middle stroke being in a rest, would you still count it fully as 1-la-li 2-la-li or would you count it as 1--li 2--li 3--li 4--li ?

The way you do the sticking is how I am attempting to do it as well, so it is good to know that my attempts are not just making things more difficult for myself.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Everyone learns different it seems. I was taught "1 ta ta, 2 ta ta... " but I never thought it rolled off the tongue well when the speed picks up. I teach my students "1 da da, 2 da da... " and when their reading picks up and they understand note values well, I tell them to go say "1 an ah, 2 an ah...". That way you can leave the middle rest out and you have "1 ah, 2 ah... ". They've got to know their reading well though or they'll confuse it with 16th counting.

Don't forget that jazz players will swing eighth notes so straight time "1 and" becomes swung, therefore the "1" and "and" now are a broken triplet. The first and last part of the triplet as you described. See how involved this can get? LOL

User Info Menu

i learned this one...1 e t, 2 e t, 3 e t, 4 e t........
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I suppose there are many ways to count triplets but, from the way I was taught, you have the right idea. Triplets are exactly that and should be counted as Triplets: 1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL. Also, when you have a Triplet that is played on the "Off beat", the count is +TL as in 1TL+TL 2TL+TL etc. If the triplet is played with in the 4 sixteenth note pattern, count the Triplet on the count it is played" 1 etl + a or 1TL e + a or 1 e +TL a. You get the idea.

User Info Menu

I count like this:

trip-a-let

or

1 & ah

User Info Menu

......Not that anyone cares how I count but I just haven't posted in a while and figured I'd post something before you all got the impression that I died or somethin'

User Info Menu

Yep... we thought you died.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I count like this:

trip-a-let

or

1 & ah

That's another way of counting Triplets but, which beat are you counting?
    With 1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL, you know which beat you are counting: 1 2 3TL 4 etc.
    I've heard Band directors teach young students to count Triplets like 1 & ah. My objection to that is that it is to close to counting the eigth note followed by 2-sixteenth notes which is counted as 1 &a. Keeping Triplet count separate from others ways is so much simpler.

User Info Menu

Yea, My director uses "One La Lee" I was taught by my middle school director Trip-ah-let, anything works really, Once you get going for a while, it becomes a feel. AKA, your not counting it in your head, your just used to how it feels on your hands to think of triplets.

User Info Menu

I count like this:

trip-a-let

or

1 & ah
    I was taught the same trip-a-let, or 1 & ah, 2 & ah.

When I playing triplets and have a rest in the middle I still count the and (just don't play during it).
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

1 & ah
    the "ah" always confused me so i count it "1 na ni 2 na ni 3 na ni 4 na ni"

User Info Menu

i usually count them 1&a 2&a 3&a and it works out great

User Info Menu

Yea, I would actually stay away from using 'Ah' because 16th notes are counted "One Eee And Ah". Tri-pah-let seems to be my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Yea, I would actually stay away from using 'Ah' because 16th notes are counted "One Eee And Ah". Tri-pah-let seems to be my favorite.
    Frank also made that point and I agree. I do think though that for advanced students, "1 an ah" makes the most sense for counting fast tempos. The others are much harder to articulate fast.

User Info Menu

.....123, 223, 323, 423

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    I agree about the confusion with 16th notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    .....123, 223, 323, 423
    And now you've counted 4 measures in 3/4 time. But, what is written in each of the measures?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Frank also made that point and I agree. I do think though that for advanced students, "1 an ah" makes the most sense for counting fast tempos. The others are much harder to articulate fast.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMER (TOM)MI AMIGO CREATIVE **
    ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) EXCELLENT **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

i count them 123 123 123 123 and 16th note triplets 123456 123456 123456 123456

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tlabrie View Post
    i count them 123 123 123 123 and 16th note triplets 123456 123456 123456 123456

Give this a try:

1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL

1TL+TL 2TL+TL 3TL+TL 4TL+TL

With this, you know which beat you are playing on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    And now you've counted 4 measures in 3/4 time. But, what is written in each of the measures?
    I am counting the 8th notes in a triplet on a single measure of 4/4 time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    I am counting the 8th notes in a triplet on a single measure of 4/4 time.

Ah, but without any notation, the only logical conclusion to 123 223 323 423
    is 4 measures of 3/4 time. Just as 1234 2234 3234 4234 would indicate 4 measures of 4/4 time. So, by your reply above the count would then be:

1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL..... which indicates one measure of triplets with each triplet receiving 1 beat and that can only be an eighth note triplet. This example, of course, assumes quarter note time in which a quarter note gets 1 beat.

Please, don't get me wrong and think that I am being a jerk...though I've been called that on more than one occasion. The point I'm trying to make is that it is important to know how to express yourself in the writing of music. It is a universal Language. We may differ on how to count but there would be no misunderstanding of correct rhythm. I was taught very early to count triplets as 1TL 2TL etc. instead of as 1+a 2+a etc. so as not to confuse the evenly spaced triplet with the eight note followed by 2 sixteenth notes which would be counted as 1 +a. Does one way of counting rather than another really matter? Probably not but why not be absolutely definitive with both the writing and counting of the music line....leaving nothing to guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

Ah, but without any notation, the only logical conclusion to 123 223 323 423
    is 4 measures of 3/4 time. Just as 1234 2234 3234 4234 would indicate 4 measures of 4/4 time. So, by your reply above the count would then be:

1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL..... which indicates one measure of triplets with each triplet receiving 1 beat and that can only be an eighth note triplet. This example, of course, assumes quarter note time in which a quarter note gets 1 beat.

Please, don't get me wrong and think that I am being a jerk...though I've been called that on more than one occasion. The point I'm trying to make is that it is important to know how to express yourself in the writing of music. It is a universal Language. We may differ on how to count but there would be no misunderstanding of correct rhythm. I was taught very early to count triplets as 1TL 2TL etc. instead of as 1+a 2+a etc. so as not to confuse the evenly spaced triplet with the eight note followed by 2 sixteenth notes which would be counted as 1 +a. Does one way of counting rather than another really matter? Probably not but why not be absolutely definitive with both the writing and counting of the music line....leaving nothing to guess.
    Healthy exchange of ideas even if it is different does not lead me to conclude a person is jerk. Anyway, that's how I was taught and by reading books and thru this forum I don't think there is a single standard way of counting triplets. I share my experience though limited to counter check what I am being taught. I want to make sure that it is not off the wall. Using different letters or numbers does not bother me as long as there is no misunderstanding of the correct rhythm (Fiacovaz paraphrased).