Thread: DTXpressIV Special V2

User Info Menu

Question DTXpressIV Special V2

Well I've been trying to decide between the Roland TD-9SXV and the Yamaha DTXpressIV Special. Now I see they (Yamaha) have a new version of the IV Special (the V2) out. Has anybody seen or played on this kit? It has upgraded cymbals 135's and 155 instead of the 130's and 150. Anybody know about this kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: DTXpressIV Special V2

Me again. Well I've ordered the new version of the DTX IV. Now I have another question. Does the type of foot pedal (single) or beater make a difference when using electronic drums?

User Info Menu

hey dude I got the special had it for a few months, and liking it, I use a regular yammy 720 pedal with felt beater, have no probs, the softer the better I would think due to it only being a pad and a trigger?
    hope you enjoy. what u doing for an amp?

User Info Menu

I'm looking at a Tapco TH-15A($350), but the other day at Sam Ash I looked at a used roland kc550 ($395). I only plan to play with some friends, small audiences, so they these should do. What are you using to amp?
    Did you the the V2 version with the cymbals and hi-hat from the EXTREME III set?

User Info Menu

Re the special, I got the model before the one u got came out. The Tapco thump gets a good review on a couple of e forum sites. I went with a powered 550watt yorkville nx550p and a powered 200 watt sub for foh, and I use a 75 watt kb4 keyboard amp as a monitor, cuts real good. For real small gigs, I use just the keyboard amp and for big gigs I take my real drums!! yamaha recording custom. have a good one.

User Info Menu

Well I received this today, the cymbals and hi-hat on the new version V2 are much better, they are the ones from the DTXtremeIII kit. Took me about an hour to unpack it and set it up then I played for about 2 hrs (suppose to be working from home). I also tried playing thru a Fender guitar amp and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

How do you tell when seeing a kit whether it's the original or "V2" DTX4 special? e.g., if I go to a store and they have a DTX4 Special set up, and they have no idea what I'm talking about, what's the difference I should look for?

User Info Menu

The cymbals have a small rod or pin sticking up thru them, basically holding them from spinning. If you look up under the crash it is a pcy135 and not the pcy130, ride is pcy155 not pcy150 and the hi-hat is an rhh135 and it moves up and down with the foot pedal ( the older one didn't).

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

User Info Menu

Well I inherited the pedal that was offered with the kit which is a Gribraltar. Like any decent bass drum pedal, once you play with the adjustments and get the action to how you like it or close to it, it's just fine. There is nothing I can't do with the pedal at my skill level. I'm probably holding the pedal back rather than the other way around. So you should be just fine with the Yammy pedal that came with the kit. Have fun.

User Info Menu

Hey there Worshipthunder! Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

For those who are into recording stuff on their computer the TD-9 would be a good choice. It now finally has a direct USB port. (finally Roland!) However, the single cable port scares me. What happens if a cable goes out? AND IT WILL!