Thread: The New Breed

User Info Menu

Default The New Breed

Great book by Gary Chester....so I've heard. Lately I've been in somewhat of a rut as far as my playing goes (I think most of you can understand). I heard this was a good book to practice to (hopefully help get me out of my rut), so I went ahead and purchased it. Let me just say, I'm a self taught player that has been playing for about 6 yrs...I don't have too much experience with reading music.

So...I get this book hoping to gain some new ideas, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I mean I get the basic idea of practicing the systems then applying the melody to the "limb" that is indicated. However, this is were my problem is, the reading portion of the book or the melody part, isn't phrased to were you know where the note falls i.e. on the 1,2,3,4. This probably doesn't make sense to anyone that hasn't seen this book, but to anyone that has...can you help? When applying the melody to the systems, how do I know where the note falls? I guess this boils down to my lack of reading music ability; however, if any of you could help, I would appreciate it.

TIA-

BTW...sorry for the long post.

User Info Menu

Hi PAdrummer,
    I've got the book somewhere but it's been years since I worked in it so I don't remember the formatting of the reading. I will say though that I'm a huge proponet for lessons. Studying with a qualified teacher, even for just a short time, will help you tremendously. Do yourself a favor and get this reading thing knocked out. It's not that hard, just a little intimidating in the beginning. You will then be able to learn twice as fast on your own.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I have looked into taking lessons, but there is no one giving lessons in my area. Well...there was one guy, but he was kind of creepy and I thaught I was a better drummer anyways. He pretty much admitted it by saying he wouldn't be able to give me lessons. Anyways, so the lesson thing isn't going to happen for now. I have pretty good understanding of how to read music, but the way this book is laid out makes it difficult.

I have posted a couple pics here, which might help with solving my dilemma. The first pic shows the systems, pretty basic. Once I have the system down, you'll notice I then am supposed to add the melodies to the bass drum. The second pic is an example of some of the melodies. My question is, if you look at the melodies, how do I know where the note is supposed to be played? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, my lack of proper terminology makes this hard to explain.

TIA-
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

where do you live? maybe there one of us in your area....
    BTW anyone near bristol Va give me a call
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit