Thread: *School Band*

User Info Menu

Exclamation *School Band*

Ok, so I have been drumming for 5 months now and I want to be in a school band and play the drum set. I can read music because my mom has been making me play the violin for a while(I know loser instrument!). I can sight read violin music pretty well but not drum set music(I can read drum set music but not fast). So my question is, what do I need to learn before I can even think about joining a school band? Also, if you join a school band don't you need to play the percussion stuff to?

User Info Menu

Default Re: *School Band*

Well before you go and jump in and join it, ask around first. If you do drum, will you have to play all percussion instruments not just a drum kit. Also, PRACTICE! Anything the includes wrist movement. Play rudiments on a pillow helps a lot. The pillow makes for a lot less or no rebound at all which helps your wrist. Also, try basic drum beats. Try covering The White Stripes or mabye a moderately easy band that you think you can cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MyBelievedFallenVictim View Post
    Well before you go and jump in and join it, ask around first. If you do drum, will you have to play all percussion instruments not just a drum kit. Also, PRACTICE! Anything the includes wrist movement. Play rudiments on a pillow helps a lot. The pillow makes for a lot less or no rebound at all which helps your wrist. Also, try basic drum beats. Try covering The White Stripes or mabye a moderately easy band that you think you can cover.
    Thanks. I have no problem covering songs. I started doing that the first day I started drumming. I have memorized about 34 rudiments and I practice them pretty often. Right now I'm working on my speed. Just wanted to know what it's like in a school band.
    Last edited by Nik276; 08-10-2008 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MyBelievedFallenVictim View Post
    Are you in a school band?

User Info Menu

Sorta Kinda. Theres this thing called SING and its a show were they put on a play but with live music: guitars, drums etc...Anyway, I'm a junior now and I'm n a band with the lead guitarist from the SING show so he told me oh join it, we need a drummer to play. Now I guess I'm the lead drummer in his and and in SING. lol

User Info Menu

maybe you could ask the band teacher for help with reading drum music? or a fellow drummer?

my bad, i need to read more thoroughly or whatever.

playing percussion.
    I would say it depends on who you have for a teacher and what school your playing in. It depends on wether the teacher thinks you could handle/be comfortable with the percussion instruments.

before joining band.
    invest in a beggining drumming book and write in the counts to all the music in the book(if its not already there) then spend some time trying to play and read at the same time, work your way up to what you think is a satisfactory reading speed.
    Last edited by Drum_Fiend; 08-15-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Ok, so I have been drumming for 5 months now and I want to be in a school band and play the drum set. I can read music because my mom has been making me play the violin for a while(I know loser instrument!). I can sight read violin music pretty well but not drum set music(I can read drum set music but not fast). So my question is, what do I need to learn before I can even think about joining a school band? Also, if you join a school band don't you need to play the percussion stuff to?

I say join in.......they will teach you what you dont know , show you the correct way to play percussion instruments.........and there aint nothin wrong with playin violin , I bought myself an electric fiddle and was teaching myself to play until I shattered my arm last year . Good luck in the band , you wont regret joining , I never did .

User Info Menu

And along with GF I add an Amen! I was a high school band director for a lot of years. I wish that I was made to play all the percussion when i was in school. As it was, I did play in every band, and was also Timpanist in the orchestra. You will experience an all - round music exposure and that is always a good thing. By the way, the only difference with reading violin music and drum music are the names of the notes on the staff for the violin. Rhythm is still rhythm and is still counted the same way regardless of the instrument. Good luck and enjoy!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: *School Band*

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Nik! I agree with drumming_fiend about getting the beginners' book, but check with your band teacher or group leader--there may be different books they prefer.

Percussion is not just drum kit...it includes drumline, snare, xylophone, vibes (vibraphone), tympani, bongos, congas, djembes, triangle, wood blocks...you get the idea! Many school bands have not only marching lines, but also jazz bands (they play at pep rallies, on the sidelines at football games, etc.) Frank (fiacovaz) nailed it when he says he wished he'd played every kind of percussion when he was in class...

Go for it (although it seems you already have!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool Re: *School Band*

I Suggest All Drummers Learn To Read Charts,,,,,invaluable Talent.....I Should Take My Own Advice And As A Matter Of Fact That Is One Of My New Adventures And Challenges As A Drummer,,,Regardless How Old Or How Long You've Played Its An Exrtremely Valuable Talent To Have!!!!good Luck Wif "SING"
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks you guys!

User Info Menu

First of all, even I don't make fun of strings. Some great Rock music has been made using the violin (ex. Kansas, ELO).

I was in band in school for four years, back in the day. Sight reading is not necessary for most bands. Even in jazz band many of the kids are not very good sight readers. In synphonic band they usually teach by rote. You'll learn a few measures at a time until you have the whols piece.

User Info Menu

Nik, Jean-Luc Ponty looks down upon you.

My advice to you is this: forget the school band, practice your heart out at home, and join some real musicians when you're ready.
    I was in band from junior high to high school, went from drumset to drumline section leader, and got nothing out of it except a few pals.

I'm totally done with bossy teachers who tell me what to play, but can't even play a double stroke roll themselves.

Of course, do what you wish. I just don't like people giving me orders. That's not what music is about.

User Info Menu

Nik, I think it all depends on what you are looking for from your drumming experience. If you are looking to be a musician (and yes, I played the clarinet once. What of it?!! LOL), then the school band experience might be just what you're look for. I have 2 nephews that that were in a band together (and quite good), 1 a drummer, and 1 a lead guitarist, and they were both also active in their school bands. It made them even better overall musicians.

But if all you're looking for is to be a kit drummer, then the school band experience might not be for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

yea. you do. im in a school band the teachers will probly teach you a bout the other intraments like they did me. i turnd out the best. and try to con vens your mom to let you stop the "loser intrament " in lese you like it, and it dosent sond like you do.wish you best of luck
    put god first ,than drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by show-off View Post
    yea. you do. im in a school band the teachers will probly teach you a bout the other intraments like they did me. i turnd out the best. and try to con vens your mom to let you stop the "loser intrament " in lese you like it, and it dosent sond like you do.wish you best of luck

I don't mean to be rude but isn't spelling taught in schools anymore?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

watchu talkin bout Frank ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

Oh, stewardess. I speak jive.

User Info Menu

Thanks you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by show-off View Post
    I had to read through this a couple of times to figure out what you were trying to say but thanks.