Thread: The Best Thread Ever

User Info Menu

Default The Best Thread Ever

I have heard a lot of nonsense from musicians in the past like 'can you play a 15/31 time signature'. etc what are the silliest rumours you have ever been told about drummers and drumming?

User Info Menu

The silliest and/or dumbest rumor I have ever heard about drumming is that it takes no skill. Anybody can beat on stuff. Yeah right.........
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

"its easy" whahahhahahaha they dont know what their talking about...
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

The dumbest thing i STILL hear is, "Can you play "Wipeout?" LOL
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

actually u could play in 15/31...it doesn't currently exist, but it could...all you have to do is divide up a whole note into 31 beats and count that as your beat and then play 15 of them per measure....that would be insane...but possible

jarhead Guest

drummers are stupid. us...never

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    The dumbest thing i STILL hear is, "Can you play "Wipeout?" LOL
    hahaha, no kidding....
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

u know...i've nvr actually even tried to play wipeout...:(

User Info Menu

me neither, but people always bring it up...

User Info Menu

Myth 1: Drummers aren't intelligent - Utterly stupid, you need only look at Meshuggah's drummer Tomas Haake to realise that you need to be smart to be a drummer.

Myth 2: Anyone can be a drummer - To every person thats ever said that to me, I've offered them my drumsticks and said "you do it better". Amazing how many people don't take up that offer.

Those are the two that really get my back up,

HB58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    Myth 1: Drummers aren't intelligent - Utterly stupid, you need only look at Meshuggah's drummer Tomas Haake to realise that you need to be smart to be a drummer.
    HB58
    Yea. Just take a look at some quotes from Danny Carey (Tool);

"This beat was composed to be a simple accompaniment to Justin's beautiful bass line. Being in a compound time of 12/8 (5/8 + 7/8), the main goal was to let the natural pulse of the melody come through and keep it simple enough to let Maynard's polyrhythmic phrasing in 3 come through unscathed.The transition into the pre-chorus was done with the same intent but was a little more jerky due to the added beat that moved the time into 13/8 (6/8 + 7/8)."

"This has been the most requested segment ever since the cyber clinics began. It is simply a solo break over 7/4 time with a bar of 8/4 every fourth bar. I always find it refreshing when melodies go over the bar line in solos, so I tried to take advantage of this technique in a couple of places. In odd time signatures it becomes very important to establish an inner pulse (such as 2-2-3 in 7) for a reference point. Once the corresponding pulse is internalized, any time signature can become a playground."

It goes to show that we're not the neanderthals that everyone thinks.

User Info Menu

Far out. Thats complex.

I've actually used that 7/4 time with an 8/4 bar every fourth bar idea in one of the songs from our band. I also put a cross rhythm on the ride bell over the top, so it sounds somewhat ordered even in the odd time signature.

Basically the premise is that if you double an odd number it becomes even, so the ride bells land on 1, 3, 5, 7 in the first bar and then 2, 4, 6 in the second. With snares landing on 4 in both bars.

HB58

User Info Menu

u sound like a fellow drummer right up my ally...do u have any material up online?

User Info Menu

Yeah, our band has a myspace page. We haven't got up any of the songs that we've recorded and mixed yet though.

Although, I've heard some of the stuff you play. Very progressive. Our band is much more metal inclined.

If you want to check us out anyway, www.myspace.com/leadredemption.

Hope you like it,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?