Thread: What's the best brand of drum heads?

User Info Menu

Question What's the best brand of drum heads?

I'm hoping to get a new head on my bass drum. I've heard Remo is really good, and a guy at the music store recommended that I get an Aquarian Super Kick II head. What do y'all think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's the best brand of drum heads?

The superkicker is a very nice one but i like my evans "emad" is what i beleive it is, because it comes with two foam rings to adjust the tone of the drum

User Info Menu

Hiya Jski90! Haven't seen you before, so welcome to Drum Chat!

The question is what do you want your bass to sound like? Do you like resonance with some overtones, or do you want the overtones dampened? What you prefer will dictate which head is right for you. Remo makes some good bass heads, as do Aquarian, and Evans. Once we know what sound you're looking to get, we can help you more.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Shazane Guest

The Remo Powersonic is basically the same as the Emad, a little better in my opinion and with a thing at the bottom to protect the head from the pedal or something. It's an incredible head if you're trying to muffle the sound, the foam rings completely do the job, I don't even need anything inside it anymore.

If however you don't want it muffled like that, then it's definitely not for you

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Evans EMAD.

User Info Menu

Remo Coated Ambassador and Evan Emad is the best in my opinion....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Dont forget a quality reso is very important! - Remo Powerstoke 3 works for me
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Hey There!!

Personally, as a general guide, I find that Remo Clear heads are better than Evans clear heads, but the Evans Coated heads stay coated longer than the remo ones, they are more resilliant...

Would anyone else agree with that?

I got an Evans Reverse Powerdot Coated Head for my snare, and at the same time I got a Remo Coated Ambassador, and the Coating on the Remo is already starting to get marked and wear away whereas the Evans is standing strong...

The remo head is on the Pearl Free Floating Snare and the evans one is on a Tama MetalWorks. Both the same size 14" x 6.5 both used equally as long.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Dont forget a quality reso is very important! - Remo Powerstroke 3 works for me
    Powerstroke 3, no problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl_Session View Post
    Hey There!!

Personally, as a general guide, I find that Remo Clear heads are better than Evans clear heads, but the Evans Coated heads stay coated longer than the remo ones, they are more resilliant...

Would anyone else agree with that?
    I would, that's a great way to compare them.

User Info Menu

The Evans Emad have a very deep and solid sound, i like it for rock, but alotof funk drummer i know use Superkickers, qaulity is very similar but sound is different

User Info Menu

I bought the Remo Powersonic head earlier today (along with a pair of 2B sticks). I'll let you know how it goes after I install it and play with it some.

Thanks for all the help!