Thread: temporarily teaching myself

User Info Menu

Default temporarily teaching myself

Hi, so I took about two months of lessons over the summer (once a week, so about eight sessions) and learned lots of basics, etc. We used the book "Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer" a lot in learning, and I mostly just learned basics, and then stuff from that book.

I don't take the lessons right now, because of being broke, but I plan to go back to lessons when I can afford them. So instead of being stagnant now, I've been trying to learn as much as I can on my own, and came here to see if there's anything else I should be doing.

Right now I'll get my practice pad and sticks and do exercises from the book mentioned before, and then also spend time with the book Stick Control and just doing rudiments, with metronome of course. When I have time to be noisy on the kit, I'll just practice beats from a book on beats I have, and work with my metronome on getting timing down on the beats and fills on the toms. I'll also do some rudiments and stuff that I do on the practice pad on the kit.

I'd just like to know if there's anything I should be doing that I could do by myself without much drum training to keep me learning while not in lessons, and if what I'm doing now sounds good or not, thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: temporarily teaching myself

Hi Airko... welcome to our family!

It sounds like you're on the right path. You have a logical approach and it will all help. Other than what you mentioned, you can work out patterns even when you're away from the kit. Sit in a chair and work beats out between the limbs. What a lot of guys don't realize is that half of what you need to learn comes through limb cooridination and doesn't even require sticks or a drumset to practice it. All it takes is concentration and repetition.

Also... you learn a lot through listening to other drummers. There's a magic sort of transference thing that happens through effective listening (again; you're not on your kit) and thinking about how the drummer is playing it. You can actually make a lot of progress this way. You'll start to hear how rhythms work against each other and you'll pick it up without even trying.

There's more but these are just a few things that come to mind. Good luck!
    Last edited by drummer; 08-11-2008 at 04:40 PM.

User Info Menu

That is the exact right thing to do, especially the metronome

Now that you know some basics listen to your music and hear the different ways to play beats and youll pick up stuff from songs

User Info Menu

Airko...Welcome to the Forum! You are doing exactly what it is you need to be doing. Think of it as Marking Time until you can get back to Lessons. Your time and efforts will not be wasted doing this. One thing I would suggest is that you might want to get a couple of instructional DVD's that you can use and that will also motivate you. I have been playing now for 48 years and spent the first six years with an Excellent Teacher. Today, I play with a "Kickin'" Big Band. When at home, I watch Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials" DVD. I learned enough from my lessons that I can Teach myself and Tommy's DVD is a fantastic one to start with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Airko...Welcome to the Forum! You are doing exactly what it is you need to be doing. Think of it as Marking Time until you can get back to Lessons. Your time and efforts will not be wasted doing this. One thing I would suggest is that you might want to get a couple of instructional DVD's that you can use and that will also motivate you. I have been playing now for 48 years and spent the first six years with an Excellent Teacher. Today, I play with a "Kickin'" Big Band. When at home, I watch Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials" DVD. I learned enough from my lessons that I can Teach myself and Tommy's DVD is a fantastic one to start with.
    mr. fiacovaz has hit it right on the head buddy!! you are doing exactly what you need to be doing... practice those rudiments!! and brush up on your playing technique!! welcome to the forum...you will like it here!

Fastbeat Guest

Hi!

An other way to practice away from teachers and drumsets is to try to
    transcribe grooves and fills that you like to notaion. I you manage to read a little bit of drum notes try to break down every stroke in the groove you are listening to from a CD, then take a piece of paper, draw som notation lines
    and try to notate,the hihat, snare and bassdrum and so on. Then think about a sticking solution for the groove. Play along on the practice pad.

In this way you will learn to play all the notes in the figure, improve your reading skills, and then when you come to a drumset, bring your notation of the groove, try your solution by playing it along to the CD.

Keep up your good energy and practicing!

User Info Menu

Fastbeat has a good point...if you know how to read the music then you can write it. I have several manuscript notebooks of drum fills, exercises, cadences etc. that I have written over a period of 30 years. Before I found sheet music to play along to, I transcribed some Louis Bellson charts. I haven't written anything down since I've been with the Big Band but I know that I need to be doing this. I have a lot of ideas for exercises and fills in my head that I need to write down. It does help!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Airko and Fastbeat!

I agree with the others that you have defined what you need to be doing very well Airko. Just remember that drumming is about gaining muscle memory that will eventually let you do things without having to think about it. It just takes repetition, and that's the boring part. But after we put in the work, the pay-off is in putting together the rhythms that we've learned.

And I really like Fastbeat's idea of transcripting. I think I may do more of that myself! Thanks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!