Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whos your idol/ faveorite drummer?

User Info Menu

Default Whos your idol/ faveorite drummer?

Mine is Leche who used to drum for As blood runs black and is now drumming for Through the Eyes of the Dead hes amazing I think his best song is My fears have become phobias its screamo but the drumming is amazing especially the blasting at 3:30 to 3:42....but i can blast faster =P but still hes great. So whos your #1 faveorite?

Papa Jo Jones is the #1 drummer of all time to me though but he isnt my faveorite i just think hes the best there ever was.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whos your idol/ faveorite drummer?

my favorites, as my name would imply, are Brian St. Clair and Dave Grohl

User Info Menu

My favorite drummer depends on the who I listen to that day! I will have to say Thomas Lang is. I usually listen to his instructional DVD when I go to sleep. Hopefully subconsciously I can pick up some of it. That idea worked for me in college when I learned Spanish.

User Info Menu

Growing up it was Neil Peart for the most rock and Gadd. Now, in my 40's, Elvin Jones and Gadd. Max Roach, most of the Jones' of the same era. Wish I was bitten by the jazz bug back in high school.

User Info Menu

I would say Gadd, Adair is there, also Leif.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Chad Smith. He's just so cool.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gunit View Post
    Growing up it was Neil Peart for the most rock and Gadd. Now, in my 40's, Elvin Jones and Gadd. Max Roach, most of the Jones' of the same era. Wish I was bitten by the jazz bug back in high school.

I can relate. Growing up I thought Neil Peart was the drummer of drummers. Now I have to say that Dave Weckl is the man!

User Info Menu

I would never discount Weckl as being a great drummer. I guess I am just partial to the Coltrane, Tyner and Jones sound.

User Info Menu

Mike Gaspar, Keitjil Harlstad, Jukka and so on. too many to list
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

The two Steve's would be my favorites, Steve Gadd and Steve Smith in that order

User Info Menu

My top three as of now is Adam Deitch, Beauford and Dave King

User Info Menu

My favorite is Gavin Harrison, his chops are amazing, and he is such a creative, polished player.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Perhaps because he's Canadian, not many will be familiar with Mike Michalkow. For a whole lot of information, run a "Google" and see for yourself. I bought his DVD...The Moeller Technique...several months ago and have never been so inspired. This man is amazing and, even more importantly...and Educator. Just to peak your interest, Mike started playing at age 17 and didn't really get into it until 10 years later. A late bloomer.
    As for the DVD, he will introduce you to everything you could ever want to know about stick control, finger control and the Moeller stroke technique. His teachers include Jim Chapin and Don Famularo. In addition, this DVD also features, on a 2nd disk, several original drum set solos that are not short of amazement. More importantly, Mike has an approach that makes this easy for any of us to accomplish whatever it is we might want.

User Info Menu

Im goin 2 have to say Niel Peart. Hes always been one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

My two faveorite drummers are (female) Karen Carpenter and (male) Buddy Rich. I also like Thomas Lang.

Keep Drumming
    Greg

User Info Menu

Growing up I was really amazed by Neil Peart, Tommy Aldridge and Nikko McBain. While I still think these guys are great drummers, I find myself really appreciating Steve Smith.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Neil Peart got me to take up drums.

After that, I really dug early Phil Collins from pre-Ababcab Genesis days.

Next was Stu Copeland.

These days, my fave is Carter Beauford, though I'm also diggin' all the old Jazz kats on U tube.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Whos your idol/ faveorite drummer?

Jeff Pocarro("It's All About Da Groove")Tops My List....I Count The Honor Of Meeting Him As A Moment That Changed My LIfe
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

Shazane Guest

George Kollias, one of the most talented drummers alive, master of double bass playing and of the syncopated rhythm, linear drumming and tempo and time signature changes above 300 BPM. One of the only drummers I can listen to now and not be able to tell what he's doing sometimes. Also armed with inhuman stamina to keep his 350 BPM up for 8 minute long Nile songs. I'm not anywhere near good enough to even cover him.

User Info Menu

Wow, really good choices you guys have...
    I`m a little more simple and I know that there will be a lot of critics about my choice, but... My favourite drummer since I started listening to music more that casual (when I was about 14) was and still is Lars Ulrich... And not just becouse of his drumming (although he does play amazingly good, with no flash at all and really gets into every song, if you know what I mean), but also `couse the man is the backbone of Metallica... Most drummers just play the role of drummer and that`s it, but Lars works on songs, kind of manages the band and gives the "Stringers" a really hard time... It`s really not fair that he isn`t given more credit for his drumming... I think he deserves it...

"Aahm...It`s like I told James once...*waving his arms around*... It`s...aahm...It`s not that simple...I mean...*waving his arms again*...You have to get more...aahm...groove into it...I mean...****...were Metallica...You know..."
    Well, that`s my best impersonation of him...

User Info Menu

Masko, I think you gave a very explanation for you choice, and don't worry that anyone here will ridicule your choice. Sometimes we give each other a hard time, just for fun, but we really do try to respect each other's opinions. We don't allow "flaming" like some other sites.

Oh, and Big Meow, I like Phil Collins too. I like the way he puts rhythms together. It just sounds good to me. I respect him as a drummer, but also as a musician.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Chad Smith! He's awesome!

User Info Menu

If i can name a few...

John Bonham (Zep): King!!
    Danny Carey (Tool): Behemoth behind a kit.. amazing composition.
    Stewart Copeland (Police): Pure genius...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by masko View Post
    Wow, really good choices you guys have...
    I`m a little more simple and I know that there will be a lot of critics about my choice, but... My favourite drummer since I started listening to music more that casual (when I was about 14) was and still is Lars Ulrich... And not just becouse of his drumming (although he does play amazingly good, with no flash at all and really gets into every song, if you know what I mean), but also `couse the man is the backbone of Metallica... Most drummers just play the role of drummer and that`s it, but Lars works on songs, kind of manages the band and gives the "Stringers" a really hard time... It`s really not fair that he isn`t given more credit for his drumming... I think he deserves it...

"Aahm...It`s like I told James once...*waving his arms around*... It`s...aahm...It`s not that simple...I mean...*waving his arms again*...You have to get more...aahm...groove into it...I mean...****...were Metallica...You know..."
    Well, that`s my best impersonation of him...
    Lol... I know what you mean, and i agree with you about Lars being the backbone and how drummers dont get the credit... I think Danny Carey of Tool plays a very central role for the band with his compositions too. The only difference is his size and aggressive playing commands attention.... just resonating your thoughts

User Info Menu

eric carr
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride