Thread: Sabian AAX dark crash... anyone use it ?

User Info Menu

Default Sabian AAX dark crash... anyone use it ?

I just try one in the store (16" AAX dark crash)
    and I think it sounded good but maybe better in 17" ???

Any input is welcome...

Philippe

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian AAX dark crash... anyone use it ?

if it gets bigger, im pretty sure it will have more ring to it, because i have a 16 inch and an 18" and i like the bigger one, not the sabian, but thats what i feel

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I have AAXplosion crashes in 17" and 18". They both sound great. I'm sure a 16" would be good also. I realize that you are talking about a totally different model but the comparison is valid. A larger cymbal will be slightly slower to respond where the smaller cymbal is "faster". I like a lot of ring and sustain in my crashes so I guess it depends on what sound you are lookng for.

User Info Menu

I have the 16 and 17 AAX dark crashes. I bought them used but they sound great !
    I also have an 18" K custom dark crash that goes well with them.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Just tried out the 16 inch at GC today. It's awesome but I think it's just too dark for me. I would like to have it in my collection, but not as my main crash.

User Info Menu

The bigger the more of a chime, the smaller the more of a "crash" sound it makes, so if you like 16 then get it, but if you wish it had more chime go with 17 or 18

User Info Menu

no one has commented on the 14" one, is it good? Im thinking about possibly getting that so any information about it would be extremely helpful.

User Info Menu

Aro5000, welcome to Drum Chat!

The Sabian AAX line of cymbals is a great line. The only thing I can say about the 14" Dark Crash is that you need to go listen to the cymbal for yourself, and you should take the cymbals that you intend to keep to the music store so that you can make sure the sound of the 14" AAX Dark Crash cymbal blends well with what you have already.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Sabian AAX dark crash... anyone use it ?

PB Yer Advice Keeps Gettin Better And Better,,,,,No Wonder Yer A "Super"(In Spite Of Hangin Around Me Sometimes!!!) Yer Startin To Sound Like Us Old Guys Wif All Da Experience And Opinions....You Go Boy!!!!Thxs For Bein' You!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks PHROGGE. I've been hanging around here long enough that you guys have rubbed off on me!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Sabian AAX dark crash... anyone use it ?

Yer Welcome Bob And Gettin Better All Da Time
    (regardless Of Us!!!!)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

Damo Guest

Dark Crashes can sound great in your setup, or they can sound completely out-of-place in your setup. It depends very much on the other cymbals you're using.

User Info Menu

I just got a 18" AAX Dark Crash yesterday. Hadn't had a chance to hit one before I bought it (I live in remote northern Canada, so I buy online). It's a loud cymbal for sure, but it sounds great. I honestly wasn't convinced at first but after playing it some last night and then a bunch today, it's sound has grown on me.

However it's mis-described on the Sabian website as being "Thin" in weight. It is not! My 16" AA Thin Crash and my 18" Omni are thin. The dark crash is way heavier. It sounds best when you really smuck it, but hold on to yer eardrums.
    Last edited by caribou; 01-19-2013 at 12:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I tend to lean more towards the AAX Xplosion Fast crashes. I have 2 18"'s and a 16" and both sound great. I am looking to add a 17" Fast Crash to replace tone of the 18's for a different sound. I have hit the 17 and it sounds pretty good and will fit nicely in my set up. I am about to cut back on cymbals to 2 crashes 2 china's 1 splash hats and ride. and just switch things around when I want a different sound.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I tend to lean more towards the AAX Xplosion Fast crashes. I have 2 18"'s and a 16" and both sound great. I am looking to add a 17" Fast Crash to replace tone of the 18's for a different sound. I have hit the 17 and it sounds pretty good and will fit nicely in my set up. I am about to cut back on cymbals to 2 crashes 2 china's 1 splash hats and ride. and just switch things around when I want a different sound.
    That's the kind of set up I have, 2 crashes, 2 china's a splash and my hats and ride. I love having my kit set up like that, and it looks pretty cool too, very symmetrical.

As for the whole Dark crash business, I tend to lean towards bigger cymbals because I like to ride on my crashes a lot and smaller ones would sound too glassy and too quick.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NedgarAllanPoe View Post
    That's the kind of set up I have, 2 crashes, 2 china's a splash and my hats and ride. I love having my kit set up like that, and it looks pretty cool too, very symmetrical.

As for the whole Dark crash business, I tend to lean towards bigger cymbals because I like to ride on my crashes a lot and smaller ones would sound too glassy and too quick.
    I don't really like riding the crashes to much but do the China's. I like darker sounding China's and bright crashes. I have decided to keep 3 China's on my kit,the 2 18's and my 20" HHX on the right side above the 18" floor tom.I don't think I can play without having the 20" China somewhere on my kit.To me,it's the perfect China.It's not overbearing or ear piercing but it's Dark and just has that distinct sound. My 18" HHX (actually measures 18.75") is close to the same sound but not close enough to where I want to stop using my 20". I am wanting to get matching 18" China's but now sure which way I want to go with it. My 18" HH is brighter and trashier then the HHX China's but again not to overbearing and sounds great with my set up.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals