Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New floor tom

Shazane Guest

Default New floor tom

I've added a 16" floor tom that I got from someone for free.

Assuming you haven't memorized my specs I already had 10, 12 and 14 toms.

With an Emperor and Ambassador on it it fits in well enough with the others, the difference in shells is slightly noticeable, and would probably be more obvious if it was smaller. I've tuned it to continue the tritonic scale which the first three were tuned to, so that 1 and 3 are the same note and 2 and 4 are.

I am however having trouble reaching it with my right arm. I can hit it with my left by going under the right. I know there are drummers with more toms than this who can easily reach them all so I don't know what I've done wrong in setting up.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New floor tom

Cool!!! But you know we gotta see some pics!haha Why don't you move you 14'' tom out more so you can fit the 16'' in more? Just a suggestion.
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

Yup, pics would help.

Shazane Guest

Very well. And other additions also.

DROP CLUTCH (everyone should have)

No finish, no brand name, I don't know what it is or what it's made of. The set had some Mapex stock heads, so I figured it might be a Mapex, but then again it had some Ludwig stock heads. Every head on it was different. Doesn't sound half bad with the Emperor and Ambassador, wherever it came from.

Setup. Also pictured; Paiste 20" power ride, included with the mystery kit.

User Info Menu

A lot of drummers will set up tighter, enabling to reach the floor better. You've got a good 8 to 10" between your kick drum and your mounted 14. If you moved this in, you could get your new 16 closer.

User Info Menu

Yeah...I'd move the floor toms in tighter and closer to where you're sitting, whilst at the same time moving the 16" forward a little. At the minute it seems to be behind you when you sit down. If you moved it to where the black ride is around, it'll be a lot more accessible.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

you can mount your 10' and 12' to a separate stand using a multi-clamp and move everything else to the left a bit. Oh and is that black cymbal the colored alpha? what are they called again?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Mount the 12" & 14" toms on the kick. Get hold of a multip clap and mount the 10" tom on your cymbal stand so you have a 3 up, one down set up
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Mount the 12" & 14" toms on the kick. Get hold of a multip clap and mount the 10" tom on your cymbal stand so you have a 3 up, one down set up
    I'd go with this advice. Also, we tend to want to move the floor tom in tight to our right leg, thinking it will be more accessible. Try moving it OUT to where the Black Ride cymbal is, so your arm and forearm form a right or an obtuse angle to reach it, instead of bunching up to hit it.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I agree with Dustin and Meow .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A lot of drummers will set up tighter, enabling to reach the floor better. You've got a good 8 to 10" between your kick drum and your mounted 14. If you moved this in, you could get your new 16 closer.
    You said what I was thinking Drummer. It looks like there is so much room between your toms and your snare placement that it would be difficult to hit comfortably. I would follow drummers suggestions and also pull your snare in and place it right under your 10 inch tom and then it will place everything in a more reachable and ergonomic place. That is how I set my kit up and I have no problem hitting my 14" or 16" toms with that configuration.

User Info Menu

Good Deal!

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I could use the multiclamp currently holding the 14" and switch the arms from the 10 and 14, I'm gonna try that.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Oh and is that black cymbal the colored alpha? what are they called again?
    I think the alpha ones are new, this is an older line called color sound or something, the logo's pretty scratched up. And I'm not Paiste expert.

User Info Menu

Shazane, it appears that the color on the cymbal has held up about as good as what I thought the new black Alpha line cymbals will. It looks like from your picture that the color is missing where you ride your cymbal the most, and the bronze underneath the color is showing through.

Shazane Guest

Great advice there, your ideas solced every problem I had, that 14" was always in the way of where I wanted the china stand, and now the first three are very easy to reach from the snare, and the 16" is in front of me.

User Info Menu

Looking good! glad you've got it sorted out shazane.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

gotta love the 3 up deal.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I like what you've done with the mounting, it looks great and is probably alot easier to operate. How did you score the Colorsound? That's a 2002 model I'm pretty sure.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I like what you've done with the mounting, it looks great and is probably alot easier to operate. How did you score the Colorsound? That's a 2002 model I'm pretty sure.
    I traded my old set for the mystery kit, it's missing some hardware that makes it impossible to mount the toms and while he wanted a 5 piece set desperately I was mainly interested in the floor tom and that ride. I'd also given him the snare that came with my Exports a few months ago. Worked out for everyone I guess.

It is a nice ride, very different sound than my other ride, I don't know if that has anything to do with the color or just the way it's made, it does look cool next to the black hardware on the bass and original toms. Switching between them really diversifies my playing, like using the drop clutch does.

And it is alot easier to operate. It was maddening trying to adapt the way it was yesterday, but now it works really well.

User Info Menu

Looking good with the 3 up, 1 down config!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

That looks like it is gonna work for you. everything looks tight and in order now, way to go!

User Info Menu

Shazane, with the 3 toms finished the same, it looks good to have them together over the ride. Nicely done!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: New floor tom

Great Folks Give Great Advise & Solve An Udder Delemma..
    Now If We Could Harness Our Drum Energies We Could Solve Da Worlds Energy Crisis!!! Glad My Phriends Could Steer Ya Right....Dats What Dis Site Is All About "Helpin Each Other To Make Us Better Somehow"Love Yer Black PAISTE Sound Formula Cymbal By Da Way,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

wow, looks good man, that paiste does look nice. but why are your snare and toms so high?

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.