Thread: CYMBALS, Whats good to buy??

User Info Menu

Default CYMBALS, Whats good to buy??

i am looking to buy new cymbals. i play heavy metal, hard rock, classic rock and just plain power metal. anywho. i play a lot of stuff.
    my questions are as follows...

Hats-what are good hats to buy that are good for recording, live shows and band practice? also, try to keep recommendations below 250 dollars for hats.

Ride-i saw a Zildjian Z custom Mega bell ride. played it at a local store and was very very VERY mad at myself for not having the money for it. are there other rides that sound great and are not as expensive. $269

Crashes-I NEED NEW CRASHES!!! mine that i have been using are old, beat up and thrashed. i needs new ones!. lol. i need something that i can ride on for a heavy chorus or use as a go to crash for ends of measures or fills. something that is durable and sounds great for a decent price.

as my name implies, i love pearl, and i love paiste, but i dont know what cymbals to go with right now. i used some rudes a couple times at a friends house before he moved and god i loved them, but i have heard that if you buy one rude, its best to make all your cymbals rudes...which i cant afford. lol
    thanks for the help !!

User Info Menu

Default Re: CYMBALS, Whats good to buy??

Doesn't Dave McClain (Machinehead) have a z custom mega bell ride? Buts sorry i cant help you really, i don't know alot about higher end cymbals (only owning ZBT's myself). I always think the best policy is to go and test out as many as possible at music shops to look for the sound you want. I'm sure someone else can help though......

User Info Menu

True...
    Z Custom line are very suitable for hard-hitter and metal++ player...
    Or maybe you can try Paiste RUDE and APX sabian...

Try A Zildjian line as well....I like their voice....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I'd suggest Paiste Rudes at that budget, but their hats sound terrible so I would wait until you get a bit more cash for some Heavy Signatures or Wild 2002's even.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

zil avedis series. affordable and vesitle. the med. crashes are as loud and cutting as anything out there IMO. same goes for the quickbeat hats. as good for recording as they are live use.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-17-2008 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks a lot guys. ive been looking around and i saw the APX from sabian but i didnt see any reviews on them. im going to guitar center(morse road, just in case any one viewing this lives around there. lol) in a few days to check some stuff out. thanks again :D

User Info Menu

Try the Zildjian A Custom Medium Crash range. They are bright and ear splittingly loud without losing their musicality as I find a lot of the 'metal' ranges of cymbals do.

I love wailing on my 19" A Custom Medium Crash in big heavy chorus sections, sounds BEASTY!
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

The A series rides for zildjian sound great, i personally just found and bought one for $150 LOVE IT

and i found some Z series Zildjian crashes for $135ish that are very nice, high end

User Info Menu

The APX series are B8 bronze, they sound terrible IMO, like plastic lids.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

If i were you id go with the Zildjian A or Paiste 2002. The A crashes are amazing and the 2002 ride is pretty slick. Should be an interesting mix of sound with both. Bonham (Zep) used a 2002 21" ride. Or maybe a 22", have to check up on that...

User Info Menu

A custom or A series Zildjian's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    Try the Zildjian A Custom Medium Crash range. They are bright and ear splittingly loud without losing their musicality as I find a lot of the 'metal' ranges of cymbals do.

I love wailing on my 19" A Custom Medium Crash in big heavy chorus sections, sounds BEASTY!
    If you think the current A zil range is loud you should try some vintage A's I've got a 1960's vintage zil crash it's awesome crashyest sounding crash i've ever heard and 30% louder than my modern A crash. Also have a 1960's zil A ride which rings forever and has an amazing bell sound.