Thread: Having trouble with this

Shazane Guest

Default Having trouble with this

Code:
    H|x-x-x-x-x-x-X-X-|
    S|--o---o---o--o-o|
    B|o---oo-o-o--o-o-|
    It's maddening really, I haven't had much independence trouble in the past, but switching what limbs are in synch mid bar like this is confusing me.

It's the perfect pattern for the riff though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1IQA5rgRg (2:14)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Having trouble with this

I find hearing and reading at the same time helps. Here is what I do when I am struggling with a pattern.

If it is not written out that is the first thing I do. this helps me really understand where everything goes.

I then program it into my drum machine. This forces me to place every beat where is should be and help me understand the pattern even more.

Then I will listen and play along at a slow tempo. As I feel comfortable I speed up the drum machine. I like to get to the point where I can play the pattern well much faster then I need it. Then when I settle down to the correct tempo it is very easy and comfortable to play.

Another added benefit is that I can try different fills withing the context of the groove. It allows me to play fills against the groove and hear how well they fit.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I find hearing and reading at the same time helps. Here is what I do when I am struggling with a pattern.

If it is not written out that is the first thing I do. this helps me really understand where everything goes.

I then program it into my drum machine. This forces me to place every beat where is should be and help me understand the pattern even more.

Then I will listen and play along at a slow tempo. As I feel comfortable I speed up the drum machine. I like to get to the point where I can play the pattern well much faster then I need it. Then when I settle down to the correct tempo it is very easy and comfortable to play.
    Same over here, i found a great online drum machine for free and i just listen to it being played and slow it down...

The drum machine can be found at http://www.rinki.net/pekka/monkey/
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

You do much hip hop/dance, off beat hi hat style grooves? They really help with limb independance, especially the bit at the end of the groove which you're having trouble with.
    It's always the stuff that seems easiest that's the hardest, innit?
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Play it four way (slowly) keeping time on the hi hat with your left foot on the quarter notes or even 8th notes. That should help you break up the off beats and play it more comfortably
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate