Thread: Rusting Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Rusting Cymbals

There are some spots of what i beleive to be rust on some of my older cymbals. is there anyway to remove it?
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rusting Cymbals

Look up cymbal cleaners/polish on google.

User Info Menu

groove juice....follow the directions.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I know this is kinda opposite of what your trying to achieve here, apologies, but I cant wait to get my old Sabian Solar crap pack cymbals rusted... They came with the kit and though the ride aint bad at all the rest are all slobs... I think a bit of rust may bring out something darker from them who knows! Am presently considering leaving them by the pool for a few days. Probably end up sounding like crappy rusted cymbals but what the heck, gotta upgrade anyway (eventually).
    Sorry i didnt give any obviously constructive input but who knows maybe a bit of rust may not be bad if their beginner priced cymbals in your case DF.

User Info Menu

An employee at Guitar Center once suggested I not clean my Reflectors and let them weather naturally. He said that the grime and rust collection could make it sound alot warmer and full.
    As much as I'd like to believe it and experiment, I like my shiny cymbals shiny and they sound just fine that way. What cymbals are you using?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

so, to throw in a bit of metalurgy here... only iron alloys rust... and there isn't much if any iron in cymbals. Could it perhaps have been rubbed off of something else, or maybe it's not actually rust.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I found rust on my old PST-3 hats a while ago.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Don't cymbals oxidize as oppose to rust?

User Info Menu

yea your right Nik, iron-based metals rust, non-ferrous (non iron) metals like copper and tin oxidize.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    An employee at Guitar Center once suggested I not clean my Reflectors and let them weather naturally. He said that the grime and rust collection could make it sound alot warmer and full.
    As much as I'd like to believe it and experiment, I like my shiny cymbals shiny and they sound just fine that way. What cymbals are you using?
    You know I have heard that argument a thousand times and I think it is an old drummers tale. I have an old Zildjian A Ride that was from the 50S to early 60s as near as I can tell. It had never been cleaned when I purchased it. I played it that way for four of five gigs and could stand to look at anymore so I decided to clean 30 years worth of patina and grime off of it. I spent a couple of days polishing and cleaning it and it now shines like new. And cleaning it did not make one ounce of difference in the way it sounds. And it still is one of the best sounding rides to my ears that I have ever heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    You know I have heard that argument a thousand times and I think it is old drummers tales. I have an old Zildjian A Ride that was from the 50s to early 60s as near as I can tell. It had never been cleaned when I purchased it. I played it that way for four of five gigs and could not stand to look at anymore so I decided to clean 30 years worth of patina and grime off of it. I spent a couple of days polishing and cleaning it and it now shines like new. And cleaning it did not make one ounce of difference in the way it sounds. And it still is one of the best sounding rides to my ears that I have ever heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    You know I have heard that argument a thousand times and I think it is an old drummers tale. I have an old Zildjian A Ride that was from the 50S to early 60s as near as I can tell. It had never been cleaned when I purchased it. I played it that way for four of five gigs and could stand to look at anymore so I decided to clean 30 years worth of patina and grime off of it. I spent a couple of days polishing and cleaning it and it now shines like new. And cleaning it did not make one ounce of difference in the way it sounds. And it still is one of the best sounding rides to my ears that I have ever heard.
    I think you made be talking about the same ride as I have, gorgeous they are.e