Thread: Wing nuts

User Info Menu

Default Wing nuts

Ok i've been seeing alot of people not even using wing nuts at all. i'm assuming they are using plastic tubes, but whats the point of not using felts or nuts to hold the cymbal down at all? is it all for show?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wing nuts

not a good idea, maybe they have lost them. not good to play without as cymbals can fly off, my old drum teacher told me a story about someone getting hit in the face and cutting an eye open.

User Info Menu

i wouldnt do it, i wouldnt want to bend or chip the hole thing in which holds it up

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Seanforever!

The reason that some drummers leave off the wing nuts and the top cymbal felts is because they are trying to get as much movement from their cymbals as they can. One way to end up cracking a cymbal is to have them tighened down so much that they don't move when they're struck. Some drummers just go a little overboard in the other direction. The wing nut should be loose on the felt so the cymbals can move when played, but as has been said, leaving the felt and wing nut off is not real safe.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've never used the felts on top of the cymbal; they restrict cymbal movement too much. Of course, I have them underneath, with the Tama-style cymbal nuts holding the cymbal in place. That is all you need.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Grombals work miracles too when it comes to holding the cymbal in place. I bought some recently and put them on and my cymbals look and sound a lot better. Wing-nuts are still necessary though...
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Seanforever!

The reason that some drummers leave off the wing nuts and the top cymbal felts is because they are trying to get as much movement from their cymbals as they can. One way to end up cracking a cymbal is to have them tighened down so much that they don't move when they're struck. Some drummers just go a little overboard in the other direction. The wing nut should be loose on the felt so the cymbals can move when played, but as has been said, leaving the felt and wing nut off is not real safe.
    HOLA como estas PASTOR_BOB MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER (CAT) EXCELLENT **GRACIAS I do not use WING NUTS ON ALOT of My own CYMBAL BOOM STANDS *
    I use these BRASS FITTINGS that let the Cymbal HAVE EXTREMMMMMXXX MOVEMENT **But then on some of My BOOM STANDS I use WING NUTS **ITS ALL GREAT AND As I always STATE WHAT ever works for the VERY CREATIVE OPEN MINDED ARTIST is ALL great within their own DISTINCT (STYLE((ARTISTRY) within their JOURNEYS **GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 08-20-2008 at 02:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I use felts and wing nuts, I wouldn't want to hit my cymbals without them.

User Info Menu

Seanforever, you can see that there are a variety of ways to deal with the cymbals so that they have good movement, but the one constant I read is that the cymbals are still secured somehow. BTW, the "plastic tubes" that you refer to are cymbal sleeves that prevent the metal on metal contact that leads to keyholing of the cymbal.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use the Grombels as well But I use the Vader slick nuts on top of all my cymbals. They have the felt and you can adjust them to how much "play" you want the cymbal to have.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Felts underneath and on top as well. The wing nuts sit atop the cymbal sleeves on my stands and do not press down the felts...no restriction on the cymbal vibrations. I use a thick felt pad underneath to lift the cymbal off of the plastic or metal washer. A thinner felt pad is used on the top so the wing nut is manueverable...not so tight that the cymbal can't wobble and not so loose to be uncontrollable. Also, with a thinner felt on top, it's easier to use the bell/crown of the cymbal.

User Info Menu

Felts on both sides. I use those Pearl clamps that are kinda like Vater slick nuts. I like the Pearl design better though. I don't put the clamp all the way down and the cymbals have PLENTY of room to move...

The servant of the song is the master.

User Info Menu

All my crashes have wing nuts and top felts. However I doubt my rides really need them.

User Info Menu

i use these special toppers with springs on the bottom and the entire thing is made out of rubber, so you get no metal contact. they are a bit hard to control at times because they want to swivel too much if your cymbals are too heavy for the topper. i beleive they sell 3 different styles of these which all have a different stiffness for each cymbal weight. in the picture, you will see mostly red tops, and 1 yellow top. the yellow top has a stiffer spring to prevent alot of cymbal movement. if you can control your cymbals good, these are a very good way to extend the life of your cymbals. no wing nuts or cymbal pads needed.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 11-10-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    i use these special toppers with springs on the bottom and the entire thing is made out of rubber, so you get no metal contact. they are a bit hard to control at times because they want to swivel too much if your cymbals are too heavy for the topper. i beleive they sell 3 different styles of these which all have a different stiffness for each cymbal weight. in the picture, you will see mostly red tops, and 1 yellow top. the yellow top has a stiffer spring to prevent alot of cymbal movement. if you can control your cymbals good, these are a very good way to extend the life of your cymbals. no wing nuts or cymbal pads needed.
    Your spring has sprung. Nuff Said