Thread: My New LP Classic Congas and Pro Conga Bag

User Info Menu

Smile My New LP Classic Congas and Pro Conga Bag

So I finally got my new congas. I've attached some pictures of them and the LP Pro Conga Bags. They sound pretty good, nice full tone, the quinto is a bit ringy. That could be that the new skins have a brighter sound, the sound is changing slightly as I play them more. I may change the skins on them later anyway. I got a good deal on the Classics so I have some money left over to do it. They are so much better to play than my Toca Player Series but as they cost a lot more I would hope that would be the case. The have an attachment on one of the lugs to clamp something like a bell tree or some other additional percussion.

Compared to the Giovanni's, I think they are a bit louder but the Giovanni's may have a cleaner sound. I haven't played the two side by side so I'm just going from memory. The Classics don't sound worse, just different. I played the Meinl Pro Series(which are similar to the Classic series) next to the Giovanni and this is what I found. Nobody could confirm stock of the Meinls when I was ready to buy as the factory was on holiday so I went for the LP instead. Again, from memory, the Classics feel a bit more comfortable to play than the Meinls which is probably just the slightly different rims but the Meinl Pro series are certainly good congas to buy.

I'm very happy with my purchase and thanks to everybody for all the advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default LP Pro Conga Bag

I couldn't fit all the pictures on the first post so I have attached the ones of the Pro Conga bags to this one. The are well padded and the internal straps are a good idea. The wheels are also very handy but if you are tall like me and walk fast with them the bags will sway too much as the wheels are quite small. You just have to pull them with the bag tilted lower to avoid this happening. There is a shoulder a strap as well as a handle in the middle of the bag and one at the top to pull it along on the wheels.

I did have a look at a Protection Racket soft case which also very good and cheaper but they didn't have wheels though I think the zip seemed a bit stronger than the LP ones from memory. I only had a look at the Djembe one as they didn't have the conga ones in the shop at the time but from their website the conga bags do not have wheels either. Aside from that they were very good but I would recommend getting some with wheels. Especially if you are getting heavy congas like the Giovanni Galaxy range which I think are heavier than the Classic Range.

The LP Pro Congas seem pretty good even though I commented on the different zips on the Protection Racket cases, the LP zip is certainly not flimsy the Protection Racket Zip I think was a bit wider but so far so good. I will know after I have been dragging them around for a few months!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: My New LP Classic Congas and Pro Conga Bag

Nice purchase Red!! They really look great!

I need to get some bags for my congas and bongos too. It's the only way to make sure they stay nice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

nice set man! I burst with envy
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

red1,
    That's awesome man...really awesome! I think you'll get some real good use and pleasure out of playing those. Congradulations on your new "babies" and bags!

Aloha!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'm loving them already!

User Info Menu

"My New LP Classic Congas and Pro Conga Bag"
    Nice! Natural is so clean looking! You are the man! Maybe I can be of some help, you say the quinto is a bit ringy. I see your congas on top of carpet, try a piece of plywood under your drums, carpet can make congas a little ringy some times. A 4ft X 2ft X ½ “ fits three congas perfect and you can get a pre cut piece at your local hardware store for about 10 bucks. Another thing is locations, outdoors you don’t here it as much. Indoors it’s funny how if you play with a wall to your back or playing facing a wall the difference in harmonics. Again as far as plywood, I’m a sit down player and my piece of ply goes where ever my drums go.
    Classics Rock!
    L4C.

User Info Menu

That's a great buy Red! Nice looking ones too!
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My New LP Classic Congas and Pro Conga Bag

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    "My New LP Classic Congas and Pro Conga Bag"
    Nice! Natural is so clean looking! You are the man! Maybe I can be of some help, you say the quinto is a bit ringy. I see your congas on top of carpet, try a piece of plywood under your drums, carpet can make congas a little ringy some times. A 4ft X 2ft X ½ “ fits three congas perfect and you can get a pre cut piece at your local hardware store for about 10 bucks. Another thing is locations, outdoors you don’t here it as much. Indoors it’s funny how if you play with a wall to your back or playing facing a wall the difference in harmonics. Again as far as plywood, I’m a sit down player and my piece of ply goes where ever my drums go.
    Classics Rock!
    L4C.
    Hey, Red1:

Tried postin' this last night, mate, but my computer freaked out for a bit...

I am with envy about those Classics! LP makes little rubber feet, in sets of four, that raise your congas about an inch off the floor. Like L4C, I play seated in true conguero style, and the feet cut the ring and make all the congas sound richer and fuller. Try the ply and the feet and see which works best for you...

Lookin' forward to hearin' those congas, man! Play 'em loud and play 'em proud!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    So I finally got my new congas. I've attached some pictures of them and the LP Pro Conga Bags. They sound pretty good, nice full tone, the quinto is a bit ringy. That could be that the new skins have a brighter sound, the sound is changing slightly as I play them more. I may change the skins on them later anyway. I got a good deal on the Classics so I have some money left over to do it. They are so much better to play than my Toca Player Series but as they cost a lot more I would hope that would be the case. The have an attachment on one of the lugs to clamp something like a bell tree or some other additional percussion.

Compared to the Giovanni's, I think they are a bit louder but the Giovanni's may have a cleaner sound. I haven't played the two side by side so I'm just going from memory. The Classics don't sound worse, just different. I played the Meinl Pro Series(which are similar to the Classic series) next to the Giovanni and this is what I found. Nobody could confirm stock of the Meinls when I was ready to buy as the factory was on holiday so I went for the LP instead. Again, from memory, the Classics feel a bit more comfortable to play than the Meinls which is probably just the slightly different rims but the Meinl Pro series are certainly good congas to buy.

I'm very happy with my purchase and thanks to everybody for all the advice.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *RED1 MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (GATO)(CAT) BELLA (MUY BELLA )very Beautiful & ROJO CALIENTE' RED HOT MANOS TAMBORES (HAND-DRUMS) GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *RED1 MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (GATO)(CAT) BELLA (MUY BELLA )very Beautiful & ROJO CALIENTE' RED HOT MANOS TAMBORES (HAND-DRUMS) GRACIAS
    Gracias mi amigo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, Red1:

Tried postin' this last night, mate, but my computer freaked out for a bit...

I am with envy about those Classics! LP makes little rubber feet, in sets of four, that raise your congas about an inch off the floor. Like L4C, I play seated in true conguero style, and the feet cut the ring and make all the congas sound richer and fuller. Try the ply and the feet and see which works best for you...

Lookin' forward to hearin' those congas, man! Play 'em loud and play 'em proud!
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll order a set of those rubber feet today. Might try the plywood too luv4.

User Info Menu

very cool man I love the natural finishes on Congos

User Info Menu

I love the finish and the wood shells will give a much nicer tone , congrats red .

User Info Menu

Dems Beautiful....DO YA HAVE A Natural Finish Drum Kit Too? Dat Would Be Awesome!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Dems Beautiful....DO YA HAVE A Natural Finish Drum Kit Too? Dat Would Be Awesome!!!!
    No, I only play congas but yeah that would be awesome!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    No, I only play congas but yeah that would be awesome!!
    Don't be so bloody modest, mate! We congueros ... do I REALLY have to say this? ... have to ... s ... t ... i ... c ... k ... together!

Hand drummers RULE!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Don't be so bloody modest, mate! We congueros ... do I REALLY have to say this? ... have to ... s ... t ... i ... c ... k ... together!

Hand drummers RULE!
    You're right bro, we do rule!!!
    As soon as I've done some recordings with these bad boys I will put the recording up for you to hear and show everybody how much we rule!!

How about that!!

Catch you soon Bro!

User Info Menu

Great congas Red! I used to have the same set in green and loved them! I also started with the Toca Player's and these are a huge step up. Classics are the standard, you will never have to upgrade ever again.

The ringing that you describe has alot to do with the skins. The skins that LP is putting on its new drums are water buffalo and not the greatest when it comes to sound. If you have the bucks I highly suggest you go with mule skin from JCR percussion. They aren't cheap about $80 a drum, and you have to tuck them youself, but its easy and fun to do, I would be more than happy to give you step by step instructions. They are completely worth the price and your tones and slaps will never sound any better. Another option that might be cheaper is to find some old stock or used (in good shape) LP Calf skins. LP used to put calf skin on all their drums and the sound was 100 times better than the cost efficient water buffalo that they now use. You can tell the heads apart by the color. The water buffalo skins are brown/amber and semi-translucent, the calf skin is white/cream and not see through. Whatever you do, DO NOT put synthetic heads on the drums ie: Fiberskyn, Nuskyn, etc. these will only increase your ringing problem.

User Info Menu

Very pretty man!

May you have many enjoyable days of playing ahead of you.
    Gorgeous drums!
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Very pretty man!

May you have many enjoyable days of playing ahead of you.
    Gorgeous drums!
    Thanks Kona

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Great congas Red! I used to have the same set in green and loved them! I also started with the Toca Player's and these are a huge step up. Classics are the standard, you will never have to upgrade ever again.

The ringing that you describe has alot to do with the skins. The skins that LP is putting on its new drums are water buffalo and not the greatest when it comes to sound. If you have the bucks I highly suggest you go with mule skin from JCR percussion. They aren't cheap about $80 a drum, and you have to tuck them youself, but its easy and fun to do, I would be more than happy to give you step by step instructions. They are completely worth the price and your tones and slaps will never sound any better. Another option that might be cheaper is to find some old stock or used (in good shape) LP Calf skins. LP used to put calf skin on all their drums and the sound was 100 times better than the cost efficient water buffalo that they now use. You can tell the heads apart by the color. The water buffalo skins are brown/amber and semi-translucent, the calf skin is white/cream and not see through. Whatever you do, DO NOT put synthetic heads on the drums ie: Fiberskyn, Nuskyn, etc. these will only increase your ringing problem.
    Thanks for the advice Gretschhead, I'll check out JCR. Pro Percussion in London reskin congas, if they're not too expensive I'll get them to do it. If not, I will definitely take you up on your offer of the step by step instructions. Nice of you to do that!!

I'll let you know what I do. Thanks again!!

User Info Menu

I saw a premounted JCR head on ebay just the yesterday, when I bought mine the company was relatively new and I don't think they were selling them mounted. LP classics are pretty standard on their size, so I'm sure if they are doing pre-mounts now that it will be easy to get the correct sizes.