Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Hat demolished

User Info Menu

Default Hi Hat demolished

Hey guys, i was given this kit from a buddy who no longer used it. I believe its a toledo set. My hi hat is in rough condition with "dents" all around the side of the cymbals. So when im playing it closed, it isnt closed at all its uneven and just plain akward to play. I'm thinking about getting a new one, what do you recommend?
    "There are things known, and there are things unknown, And in between are The Doors” -Jim Morrison

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi Hat demolished

What's your budget?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=areid14;107501]Hey guys, i was given this kit from a buddy who no longer used it. I believe its a toledo set. My hi hat is in rough condition with "dents" all around the side of the cymbals. So when im playing it closed, it isnt closed at all its uneven and just plain akward to play. I'm thinking about getting a new one, what do you recommend?[/QUOTE********************************************* *****************************

Toledo as in the name of the drum set or the collection as in Toledo of rogers drums? Also, when you say "Dents" all around the sides of the cymbals are you refering to the actual cymbals and, if so, what does that have to do with the hi-hat?

User Info Menu

my budgets around 150$. And no i was referring to my hi hat it has dents all around the sides. And I'm pretty sure its Toledo the name of the drum set.
    "There are things known, and there are things unknown, And in between are The Doors” -Jim Morrison

User Info Menu

I suggest you look for a nice pair of hats on ebay or Craigslist.

User Info Menu

wow buddy what happend to those??? hey, the guy that i am teaching just bought a set of the zildjian "pitch black" 15" mastersound hats. they are big but they do sound quite good, i bet they would sound awesome in a studio.

what kind of music are you going to playing with them? these pitch black hats have a black finish, and i would highly reccomend them for rock or metal! it really is all about what you like man. go to your local music store and tell them what you are looking for... if they are a good salesman, they should let you try out anything you want. good luck with this, and post pictures if you pick something up!

User Info Menu

How do they sound when you raise them? Being off balance is a good thing. You don't want the suction cup effect.

User Info Menu

I was thinking the same thing BLD. Kind of like the bottom cymbal in a Mastersound pair.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Mastersound hats are designed that way for a reason. I'm pretty sure if they're mangled out of shape enough to not close, the sound won't be too pleasing regardless.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I was just throwing around an idle thought!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hi Hat demolished

Turn Em Upside Down Like Mastersounds?
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Turn Em Upside Down Like Mastersounds?

That might be a good idea, give it a try. Sometimes weird defects produce one of kind desirable sounds. If it doesn't work attach a round drawer knob and use it as cover for your pots or frying pan. That's what I did with my old undesirable cymbals.

User Info Menu

Haha yeah i think i'll check some out down at my music store. No it sounds horrible, its like a *clang*. I'm definatly playing rock! If I pick it up i'll post it on here.

User Info Menu

dont get pitch blacks they are way overpriced.Also some cymbals sound decent while others are just horrible if your looking for that sound get zht's because pitch blacks sound like them but are painted and have a high price tag.

User Info Menu

Pitch Black cymbals are ZHT's down to everything but the finish.

ThePloughman Guest

This thread is useless without pics.

User Info Menu

to be honest with you i have been trying to find new hats, but the sabian B8's, in my opinion, sound better than alot of the higher priced ones. they are alot cheaper, so i dont know if its just me but you should check them out

User Info Menu

alright man, do they sell them in canada? I could just get them of eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    That might be a good idea, give it a try. Sometimes weird defects produce one of kind desirable sounds. If it doesn't work attach a round drawer knob and use it as cover for your pots or frying pan. That's what I did with my old undesirable cymbals.
    Now that's an idea

User Info Menu

what kind of cymbals are you using?!!!? i got some when i bought my set,, and they were total crap, so if they are the ones that came with the set i would just change em, go for some mastersounds!!!!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I agree with a few of the guys on here. Check Ebay and get you a pair of Zildjian ZHTs.
    I bought a pair off there for 75 bucks and they were practically new. Check this video out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3DBTLuufM
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areid14 View Post
    alright man, do they sell them in canada? I could just get them of eBay
    sabians are made in canada so i would hope so

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    I agree with a few of the guys on here. Check Ebay and get you a pair of Zildjian ZHTs.
    I bought a pair off there for 75 bucks and they were practically new. Check this video out below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3DBTLuufM
    wow, they sound so much alike WHAT THE HECK ZILDJIAN RIPPING US OFF WITH TEH BLACK ONES AND NOW THIS STUFF! haha

User Info Menu

I went to a local store a few days ago to see if all the reviews I've heard on the Pitch Blacks had any truth to them... the 15" Mastersound PBs do sound good. If you don't want black, it scratches off easily.

I also heard some 14" Sabian XS20s that sounded and felt really good. I think that'll be my next purchace.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Yeh get a new one