Thread: Electronic Drum Monitor Display

User Info Menu

Default Electronic Drum Monitor Display

I am thinking of getting an electronic drum set and one of the main reason is to monitor my strokes during practice. Is an electronic drumset capable of separately monitoring strokes coming from its component instruments, i.e., snare, toms, bass, and cymbals? It would be nice to have an electronic strip like a hospital EKG where one can see the how the strokes coming from the different instruments relate to each other. I've always wondered how accurate I've played 16th notes when I use 'em between 8th notes especially when it's fast, successive, and coming from my bass drum. I am interested in the spacing of my notes.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electronic Drum Monitor Display

There is nothing that is made specifically for what you are talking about that I know of but. I have a Roland TD-20 kit. I record with it a lot. All of the individule tracks allow me to see exactly what you are talking about. The trick is having the individule outputs for the parts of the kit you want to see ans well as the ability to record it on separate tracks in a DAW
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Expensive, maybe, and possibly not what you want, but:

Many sequencing programs can show the MIDI events as they are recorded, on a scrolling note roll or something. I know I've used that to look at keyboard parts I was messing with.

Record MIDI events and you can do a pretty exhuaustive post-mortem on a track, looking at which notes were early, which were late, and so on -- and it'll be down to the millisecond, so almost nothing's going to look perfect. Also velocity, and so on. I've seen a lot of programs offer a pretty broad range of ways to display their sequence information; I was most recently using Logic Express on the Mac.

User Info Menu

Drumslave, I think you're looking for something like the Beatnik Rhythm Analyzer. Google it online, and see if that's it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. Since my knowledge is very limited in this area I'll just print out these comments and take it to the music store and see what they can come up with.

User Info Menu

Now that sounds like a very sensible idea!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    I am thinking of getting an electronic drum set and one of the main reason is to monitor my strokes during practice. Is an electronic drumset capable of separately monitoring strokes coming from its component instruments, i.e., snare, toms, bass, and cymbals? It would be nice to have an electronic strip like a hospital EKG where one can see the how the strokes coming from the different instruments relate to each other. I've always wondered how accurate I've played 16th notes when I use 'em between 8th notes especially when it's fast, successive, and coming from my bass drum. I am interested in the spacing of my notes.
    Check out the roland rhythm coach

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...px?ParentId=62

User Info Menu

This idea came about because my instructor kept telling me that I am flamming my ride cymbal and bass drum when I play 16th notes especially when its fast. I denied it of course, and claimed that there's too much wash on his ride that's why it sounds like a flam.

User Info Menu

I'm sorta curious about those practice pad things, they look pretty useful. Looks like the Beatnik's just a practice pad which tells you how you're doing, but the Roland (at about twice the price) could be actually used with a kit as an additional snare or something.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Electronic Drum Monitor Display

Common Sense In Drumchat????wow What A Great Idea!!!
    Let Us Know Willya ?
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!