Thread: First official thread

User Info Menu

Default First official thread

OK.....Its been like 30 years since I went shopping for Cymbals and its confusing as hell for me..I have A Vintage Slingerland 60's set...Buddy Rich while pearl, and also 1960's Zildjan A 20" ride/crash 18" ride crash and for fun a Zenjian 12" splash...My two A's have sound all their own, but neither is a good ride..so after going to numerous drum shops I found drum heaven...Steve Maxwells IN Chicago...he set me up with a 20" 1950 thin ride (Zildjain A) and it is so sweat...now my problem is some mid range crash cymbals....Maxwell didn't have any at the time I was there, I'm hesitant to buy on the net withour hearing them..I was thinking about 14-17" ish thin crash. what cymbal would fit do you think? Maxwell said it should be light LIke under 1000 grams or so...........not sure about the new stuff. altough it could work I guess, someone said Z A custom are nice...I'm kind of attached to the old stuff.........I want a crash that comes in bright/loud...and fades out fairly quickly....any ideas??????????

User Info Menu

Default Re: First official thread

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland View Post
    OK.....Its been like 30 years since I went shopping for Cymbals and its confusing as hell for me..I have A Vintage Slingerland 60's set...Buddy Rich while pearl, and also 1960's Zildjan A 20" ride/crash 18" ride crash and for fun a Zenjian 12" splash...My two A's have sound all their own, but neither is a good ride..so after going to numerous drum shops I found drum heaven...Steve Maxwells IN Chicago...he set me up with a 20" 1950 thin ride (Zildjain A) and it is so sweat...now my problem is some mid range crash cymbals....Maxwell didn't have any at the time I was there, I'm hesitant to buy on the net withour hearing them..I was thinking about 14-17" ish thin crash. what cymbal would fit do you think? Maxwell said it should be light LIke under 1000 grams or so...........not sure about the new stuff. altough it could work I guess, someone said Z A custom are nice...I'm kind of attached to the old stuff.........I want a crash that comes in bright/loud...and fades out fairly quickly....any ideas??????????
    The Zildjian EFX's have a nice solid crash, but dont linger to long, i really would like them personally but havent found them at a music store, check it out on youtube.com
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland View Post
    I want a crash that comes in bright/loud...and fades out fairly quickly....any ideas??????????
    Welcome to Drum Chat Slingerland!

When I read this, I thought of the Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash. I have it in the 18", but you might want the 16". The only thing I'm not sure about is the brilliant finish on the A Customs. Since you like the vintage cymbals, the look of the A Custom might not fit in. Just some random thoughts.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hello Slingerland and welcome to the drum chat Forum. Seems like you've been around for some time...30 years of drumming and with a vintage Slingerland outfit. I can appreciate that. I've been at it for 48 years in all and still play my 1964 Ludwig Classics. Though I still use the SupraPhonic snare, I also came by an early 1960's Slingerland snare in white marine pearl and use it when playing with my Jazz Trio. My other band is an 18 pc. Big Band...lots of Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Buddy Rich as well as some of the more contemporary composers. With this background, you can tell that I am sensitive towards having the appropriate cymbals as well. From what you described, I'd say that you are on the right track and did it the right way. Finding a ride cymbal that you want is the crucial first step. If you absolutely cannot find anything in a crash that compliments your ride then you might want to work with the dealer to see when he can get what you want. On the other hand, the A Zildjian thin crash 14" - 18" can do a good job for you. I would also suggest that you might consider the K line up as well. These cymbals have the dark vitage sound like probably like, a fast decay after a bright crash. I use an 18" Avedjis Zildjian Full crash along with a 16" K Zildjian Med. Thin Dark crash. These work quite well together as each has their own voice. I have long put away my 20" Avedjis Zildjian Med. ride and now use the Istanbul AGOP hand made (Turkey) Mel Lewis 21" Big Band ride and 14" hi-hats. Don't be afraid of mixing makes of cymbals...it's all in the voices that you want for your outfit. These cymbals all have a darker, vintage sound as well as the looks. The link below is of my set up with the cymbals. In it, you will notice the A Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride. I often vary my cymbals with the Big Band. I also use a K Constantinople 20" Light ride as a secondary voice...beautiful for ballads and Bossa Nova's as well as bright Samba's. For a smaller effects cymbal, I added the 10" Wuhan splash. Don't laugh...it's really very nice and has that "Trashy" sound that fit right in. BTW, when you get the chance, please post photos of your outfit...we all go Gaa-Gaa over each other's gear. Especially PB...poor guy, stuck with those Gretsch's

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../FranksKit.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    we all go Gaa-Gaa over each other's gear. Especially PB...poor guy, stuck with those Gretsch's

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../FranksKit.jpg
    Good one Frank!

I left your link in the quote because I really do enjoy seeing pics of your Ludwig kit Frank!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Can you guys point me in a direction of where to get some crash cymbals? e bay scares me....

User Info Menu

Slingerland, I am assuming that you are looking for used cymbals, since new ones are all over the internet. If Ebay is too much to deal with, you might try Craigslist. When I do that, though, I only deal locally. There is always the possibility of being scammed on Craigslist if you can't see what you are buying. Ebay offers the buyer some protection that is not available on Craigslist. I also look at my local music stores, because they always have some used cymbals that they took in trade.. The other place you could check is a pawn shop.

User Info Menu

if you are a vintage zil man, then i think frank is right, that you should look into the K and K custom lines. the constantinoples are modeled to emulate that vintage, elvin jones type sound.