Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new answer: "None...I've quit Quantum Fizz"

User Info Menu

Cool My new answer: "None...I've quit Quantum Fizz"

Anyone looking for a 56-year-old conga player?

I have made the most painful decision of my musical life: I have quit Quantum Fizz. (You will also notice I have also deleted the Quantum Fizz thread in this forum.)

No reflection on my bandmates, but I was increasingly uncomfortable with the political agenda they were taking; let's just say I may be a renegade of sorts, but I'm more politically conservative than they are, and I don't want to turn this thread into a hot-button political soapbox.

I felt I was compromising my personal integrity by appearing at concerts that supported causes I don't believe in myself.

In my heart, I know I did the right thing, but I think I may have just slammed the door on playing music anywhere but inside a church sanctuary. And in that sense, I feel like a failure. I hope I'll find another band to play with, but right now, there's not much of a market for graybearded hand drummers...so this may have been my last chance to make a splash in music...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: My new answer: "None...I've quit Quantum Fizz"

dont worry bongo, you'll find something to put those drums toward, you have the personality, the ryhthm and you got all you need, good job at making your own decision to leave, you'll get right back up there,have faith. good luck on you couple of weeks without the band, but in a few, its right back down that road for you! good luck, i know you will have something that makes it better!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Bongo...considering your previous post about Quantam Fizz and Political Rallies, I'm not surprised to read this. That takes a lot of Faith to do what you did and I applaud you for that. You know, one thing I have learned in Life is that there always seems to be a reason why things happen and always better too. Just take the time away from the band and get reacquainted with your drums. Play them like you haven't been able to play them before. Let yourself enjoy the "Journey" until the call comes. Then, you'll be even more prepared. Believe me, I know...it's how I found my Big Band.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My new answer: "None...I've quit Quantum Fizz"

BB... More & More As Da Days Go By Ours Lives Seem To Entertwine,,,,This Case May Be No Exception Now Dat "his" Runnin Mate Has Been Announced I Have My Own Thots From So Long Ago,,,,I May Forgive But I Cant Forget....So You Just Bring Yer Radio Dj Sayin,Grayin And Balding Khaki Pants Wif Da Blue Shirt Wearin,Sunglasses And "Token Old Guy Bulgin In More Than One Place, Over 50 Buns "To Phoenix And We, My Brother,Will Have Da Time Of Our Lives Tryin To Find Our Way Thru The Percussiveness Of Our Souls!!!(Man I Scared Me!!!! I Started To Sound Like Stickswizzarddargon For A Minute,,,,Blame It On Da West Coast Desire To See Our Drummin Souls Satisfied!!!)hahahaha....Now If We Can Just Get Frank Here Around Da Same Time Party's @ Phrogge's House!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    BB... More & More As Da Days Go By Ours Lives Seem To Entertwine,,,,This Case May Be No Exception Now Dat "his" Runnin Mate Has Been Announced I Have My Own Thots From So Long Ago,,,,I May Forgive But I Cant Forget....So You Just Bring Yer Radio Dj Sayin,Grayin And Balding Khaki Pants Wif Da Blue Shirt Wearin,Sunglasses And "Token Old Guy Bulgin In More Than One Place, Over 50 Buns "To Phoenix And We, My Brother,Will Have Da Time Of Our Lives Tryin To Find Our Way Thru The Percussiveness Of Our Souls!!!(Man I Scared Me!!!! I Started To Sound Like Stickswizzarddargon For A Minute,,,,Blame It On Da West Coast Desire To See Our Drummin Souls Satisfied!!!)hahahaha....Now If We Can Just Get Frank Here Around Da Same Time Party's @ Phrogge's House!!!!!!

Very good Phrogge! And remember BB narrow is the gate. You made the right decision.

User Info Menu

i started to snap while reading this, lol

BB you did what you felt was right, and if your heart is not in the move that who you were with was making than you did the right thing, just take the time you had to relax and slowly find you way back into music

User Info Menu

BB, It's too bad you don't live near Joshua Tree, CA. The music is so diverse and you would easily be in a band.

User Info Menu

Bld....Ca Is Close To Az.....hmmmmm....I Feel A Drum Circle Comin On....ZETA....YA MUST NOT KNOW ME TOO WELL....YET.....

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Bld....Ca Is Close To Az.....hmmmmm....I Feel A Drum Circle Comin On....ZETA....YA MUST NOT KNOW ME TOO WELL....YET.....2SLOW YA KNOW,GA ENDS IN "A" SO YER INVITED TOO!!!HECK LETS INVITE ALLA DRUMCHAT TO MY HOUSE FOR A DRUMCIRCLE!!!!

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Bld....Ca Is Close To Az.....hmmmmm....I Feel A Drum Circle Comin On....ZETA....YA MUST NOT KNOW ME TOO WELL....YET.....
    Phrogge, We are about 5 hrs apart!

User Info Menu

Too bad bbro. I'm sure you'll get back into the music scene, with your love for hand drums theres no way that you can't!

I would have done the same thing, my music doesnt control my beliefs and if what you're doing as a band compromises what you believe in, it's better to abandon ship!
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Bld...."Sticks,,," Is In Yer Neighborhood Can Ya Pick Him Up On The Way?

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Bld...."Sticks,,," Is In Yer Neighborhood Can Ya Pick Him Up On The Way?
    I think he's in LA, but we could carpool! That would be killer to get all together! Maybe we should all meet at Bongo Bro's house! That would cheer him up.

User Info Menu

Bld....Ca Is Close To Az.....hmmmmm....I Feel A Drum Circle Comin On....ZETA....YA MUST NOT KNOW ME TOO WELL....YET.....2SLOW YA KNOW,GA ENDS IN "A" SO YER INVITED TOO!!!HECK LETS INVITE ALLA DRUMCHAT TO MY HOUSE FOR A DRUMCIRCLE!!!!
    hope you got a big house, cause with all of us, were bringing ONE thing, i call bringing the 18" wuhan!!!! (and i will bring a new djembie[sp] stand for you bongo!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I didn't catch what the political issue was, but you've never struck me as any kind of crusader, bro. If they were pushing for manditory pot smoking in schools, free Porshes for the blind, or cats marrying dogs, then I'm with you all the way!

User Info Menu

Wow BB I really don't know what to say. I know you were really have a lot of fun with it. But in the same token this shows that you will stick to your convictions regardless of the outcome. For that I applaud you. I can promise you if the call is there (which I believe it is) the right people will come along. Hang in there brother you will see.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I've been in your shoes BB. It takes a lot of courage to stand for what you believe in. Something else will come your way. Or go out there and create it.

User Info Menu

Hmmm...sorry to hear you left your band. Although the issues were so strong that you had to make your decision, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with it.

I'm not sure how widespread the political issues were in the band or how the band interacted as friends but for me being in a band was always about making music. If the singer in my band wants to write and sing about his own personal experiences thats fine by me. Just because he sings about the crisis in georgia affecting his cat doesn't mean I share the same views. Or similarly if I want to sing about drugs/drink or whatever doesn't mean everyone in the band is an alcoholic.

If you guys are a big commercial band, (not sure what level ye're at) then maybe consider using this as an opportunity to clash and make something really interesting. I sense it maybe too late to remedy this one so go out and start a new band. Make music, enjoy it.

Be a musician not a politician.

User Info Menu

Not speaking for Bongo Bro...I believe the issue was not with or within the Band as it was performing at a Political rally for a candidate that he cannot endorse and agree with.

I understand your point about being a Musician and not a Politician and agree with you in the context you place this. However, when issues that involve personal beliefs about Politics or Religion enter into the equation there are only two choices: get with it or get out of it, it cannot be ignored. This, I feel, is what Bongo faced and he had to make his choice.

User Info Menu

Yeah What Frank Said.....And Yes I Have A V-e-r-y B-i-g
    Backyard Boys & Girls !!!!!!!!And I'm Central Located To Most In Dis Drumchat,,,,,,,
    And Da Weather Is Almost Perfect In Da Fall,,,,

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

BB, while it's undoubtedly a bummer being without a band, I applaud you for making a difficult decision and being true to yourself. That really shows the depth of your character. Keep your chin up and your hands moving, bongo - you'll be jammin with a group again in no time!

User Info Menu

Hey BB,

There`s nothing wrong with standin up for what you believe in. The majority of the people dont even bother to do that anymore. (sadly) There`s nothin wrong with playing in church, and besides, all the time you would have played with quantum fizz, keep us entertained here on drumchat!

Keep up the good work BB.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

i truley wish the best for you buddy! i have learned over the years that if *you cant trust the people you are working with, your as good as dead*. i live by that quote. i think you have a good head on your shoulders and you are DEFENETLY NOT A FAILURE, you are doing what is right for yourself. anyone that says otherwise doesnt know their hair from their fingers! as an auxillary percussion player, you should be able to find other musicians to play with eventually. i could acctually use you in my band if you liked metal and lived in california!!! with a couple other newbies that we are auditioning, we would be 8 people deep! imagine the possibilities!

keep up your good work buddy... i have complete faith in you.

User Info Menu

Good for you B-Bro , youre only playin for fun so why feel uncomfortable about it .

I think you made the right decision . I dont believe you slammed the door on your playing music in other places than church either .

As others have mentioned when the time is right , a band will appear for you................BTW isnt that how Quantom Fizz started ?

Its all a part of the journey . Dont feel bad about it at all , cause its all about havin fun .

User Info Menu

BB, don't forget that you are a very good hand slammer. Quantum Fizz has been fortunate to have you play with them. Who knows, they just might come calling to sit down and work things out with your concerns in mind. You did what you had to do, so now just see how things play out.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!